Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I did three skulls last year and just put varnish on them. Then this weekend I was going to start on my new case of skulls from Scourge. They look great as they are but, I wanted a more realistic look. I used the same varnish on two when my other half walks in and says; that's too dark, it's almost black. Well, I stand back and they are really dark. Now I'm curious what color to go with for the rest. Do you all use a dull yellow, light brown, or a grey? I plan on putting some hair on them and some green flecks for moss/mold. I'm also planning on making them into 3-axis skulls. I would love to see what you have done with yours.

Thanks

·
Bringing the Dead to Life
839 Posts
I know mine's not the best, but it was quick and easy. I covered a Talking Thru Boris with cotton and latex, and then brushed on some brown shoe polish. I will probably add hair sometime before Halloween.

Here's a link to the page on my site (coming soon). You can just click on the pics to the left of the page to see a larger view.
Boris Coprpse

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
Don't have any pic right now,but i tend to use light browns,med gray/lite gray & med yellows as they will be in dimly lite areas.
Too dark just makes them harder to see & means more lighting to compensate.the only med/dark brown i use to create a little shadow or recessed areas like inside eye sockets,nose,etc
Also depends,for me, as to color ligthing that i use were they will be,that can change-add or subtract- to the effect.

·
Scared Silly
1,930 Posts
Here's one that I stained with a dark walnut color (and wiped most of the stain off with a rag before it dried): DSCN8770.JPG (image)

This one was corpsed with paper towels, spraypainted dark brown, and drybrushed with light brown/grey acrylics:

And this one was corpsed with cotton balls and latex, then painted with acrylics: DSCN8746.JPG (image)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great stuff people! TY. Love the pics and ideas. Yeah, I put on the varnish but, didn't wipe any of it off. I'm thinking I'll have to add some cotton balls, liquid latex, and then do a lighter color over the darker so it looks like dried skin. The varnish I used was like a walnut or mahogany. They would be great if I wanted to hide them and have the voices scare the hell out of people. :p

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
I haven't done just a sjul but i did do a whole skeleton with Nylons and Latex. Then i painted it with Cherry Wood Stain (never wiped off the stain though). Here are some pictures of the skulls.

·
Registered
591 Posts
one thing to rember is it is easier to add more color or make it darker than it is to make it lighter.so go light then if you want it darker you can add another coat.and the stain is just a base coat then you add color over that.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
It's not really a corpsed one but here is mine

I like the look a lot!! What did you do to make this? What kind of skull is that (foam/plastic)? It looks like it was either dug up from a swamp or burned in a fire.

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
Anyhow, I've only really done 2.

First was not really "corpsing" as much as it was, "hey let's find a way to glue all those broken skulls back together".

I can't find a pic of that at the moment.

The second was Fred.

Now, Fred got all messed up. We built a frame, and had him hanging by his hook at the top of his head. All the nylons on, applying the latex, when POP!

Fred's top nut came off, and he collapsed in a heap, top of his head and nut still hanging on the hook. LATEX EVERYWHERE, nylons on his head ripped off.

We took some bones out of his neck and got him back up, screwed together tight (check that first in the future...), and tried to re-assemble with face as best we could with nylons now already torn and wet with latex. It was a mess, and his face got all messed up, but I managed to save most the rest of him.

And, since he was being strung up anyway, the face wasn't as important.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WOW, those are some great photos of some great props! Unorthodox, it turned out really nice. I would never have thought that it was a mess up. lol Sometimes the best stuff comes out of mistakes. I guess I'm going to have to wait until I corpse mine. I can't get liquid latex since Fright Props isn't going to start sending out theirs until March or April. I don't know where else to get some. I will have to pick up some cotton balls. I do have extra bags of batting. I wonder if that will work? I'll also have to pick up some yellowish varnish.

Thanks again guys, those really good cool and frightening.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I like the look a lot!! What did you do to make this? What kind of skull is that (foam/plastic)? It looks like it was either dug up from a swamp or burned in a fire.
Thank you guys, it makes me feel like someone who did something very special:cool:
How I made it? it's a secret recipe!
Seriously, the basic color was obtained with burnt sienna pigment . But the process was kind of ...experimental. First I made a plaster skull. I put clay with a lot of water to have a nice first cover. Then I rub it with mud+fireplace ashes, and at last, burnt sienna. I improved the texture with a personnal mix: sawdust, smashed wood coal and sand with white wooden glue and water applied all over the skull, especially in the holes.
And I got this "fresh unburied" look !

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Unorthodox,

Your Skeleton turned out awesome!! What color stain did you use? Also i like the impaled look. I was thinking about going that way but chose the crosses instead.

Nice Work.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Thank you guys, it makes me feel like someone who did something very special:cool:
How I made it? it's a secret recipe!
Seriously, the basic color was obtained with burnt sienna pigment . But the process was kind of ...experimental. First I made a plaster skull. I put clay with a lot of water to have a nice first cover. Then I rub it with mud+fireplace ashes, and at last, burnt sienna. I improved the texture with a personnal mix: sawdust, smashed wood coal and sand with white wooden glue and water applied all over the skull, especially in the holes.
And I got this "fresh unburied" look !
Wow you put a lot of work into that thing and it shows!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts