Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got 10 lbs (GOOD GRIEF THAT'S A LOT) of beef netting from Trenton Mills. Sure they have some pictures but I wanted to see what you guys have done and if you have any tips.

·
Seer of All
2,937 Posts
LOL, I was just about to start a thread on the same subject but couldn't decide if it belonged here on on the props board. I finally broke down and ordered a roll from trenton mills and it arrived yesterday! I've always used the bagged stuff and spent hours pulling each thread to get a more realistic look, only to have it almost completely disappear from view after sundown. This year I decided to ditch the bagged stuff and go for the theme park look I'd always admired. Now, I just need tips and tricks from experienced users on getting the desired effect. I do know there are a few youtube videos on the subject and I plan to watch those later today.
Can't wait to see everybody's pictures! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ive got a couple generic questions about this beef netting.

1: How far will 10lbs of this stuff go? It doesnt seem like much, but the OP mentioned that 10lbs was alot.

2: Anyone know if the Trenton Mills stuff (Poly or the cotton/poly blend) will show up under black light?

This stuff looks awesome, but dont want to buy too much, or the wrong kind.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a question also, asked in the gargantuan spider thread, will throw it out here as well. Can you re-use this? I know you stretch it out and cut slits in it for the effect, but can you take it down and re-use it the next season or is it like the bag stuff where once you stretch it out it's done for, goes in the trash when taken down?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have never used this before either and this will be the first year including it. I have some ideas in mind, but figure it will be trial and error and maybe a bit of cursing. Please post pics if anyone has them.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Just a few notes from me: I got my netting back in 2008. I'm still using the same role and still have more than 1/2 of it left.It's absolutely wonderful to work with, stretches great so you can shape your webs to whatever size area you are working on. It is completely reusable as a matter of fact I pack mine into hefty bags and just mark what area they go to. It's very easy this way.

Took my decorating to another level was so worth buying. Yes it does light up under the black light. Trust me you won't be cursing...it's very enjoyable to work with. I use it both indoors and outdoors. I cut pieces and use push pins to attach it to the walls, once piece is in place I then use the scissors to cut the holes.Practice on a piece and you will be ready to go to town with this stuff. Your Halloween guests will love it!

This year I am going to try something different with it. Gonna see if I can attach to the ceiling and then run it all the way down to the floor. Will use a 2x4 to attach it on the bottom.

Attachments

·
Seer of All
2,937 Posts
I started playing around with mine today. It worked great where I could stretch it between two poles but trying to attach it to the brick of my house was a challenge. I think I've figured out a way to make it work. Tomorrow I'm going to try stapling it to the siding above the brick and stretching it to the ground and securing with tent pegs. My plan is to cover as much of the house as I can and shine green flood lights on it. In the past, I've always tried to ignore the house and focus on the cemetery in the yard but this year I decided, what the heck, the house isn't going anywhere - might as well make it into a backdrop. Only took me 15 years to come to this conclusion. ;)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My thread is back!

I shall participate!

This is the netting on the front porch. I have the poly because it's brighter white it glows some but not an extreme effect by any means.

IMG_4704sm.jpg

I also have it around my poor tree that may be close to it's last season. It's there partially to help hold it up as it wants to tip forward now.

21768291_1321466124645554_2720385065051560887_n.jpg

This is just one piece on the ceiling to see how it would work for the hallway with the colored lights behind it. I am going to start covering the books shelves this week and I am doing 2 layers because layering is the key to making it look good.

22156791_1325240417601458_1949725901_n.jpg

There are about 16 yards in an uncut pound. How much further that will stretch depends on how you cut the holes. It's about 85 inches wide after cutting open the tube and before cutting holes, it is really stretchy in this direction even before cutting.

Most of the videos show them cutting after stretching it. I tried that and my arm just about fell off and it was murder on my carpal tunnel. I now estimate how much I need and precut. Not a perfect solution but a lot less painful.

·
The Squirrel Whisperer
1,157 Posts
Broke down and finally bought some this year from Trenton Mills after seeing this stuff online for the last 15 years or so. Went with 5 lbs of the 100% polyester variety. Thought the shipping price was a little steep, but there aren't many options out there. Can't wait to get started with it....looks great in all the photos I see online.

·
Seer of All
2,937 Posts
My thread is back!

I shall participate!

This is the netting on the front porch. I have the poly because it's brighter white it glows some but not an extreme effect by any means.

View attachment 500049
THIS is exactly the look I want to achieve! It looks phenomenal! I think I may be tying to stretch it too much in the wrong direction, if that makes any sense. I'm going to try again tomorrow and use this picture for inspiration! :D

·
Seer of All
2,937 Posts
My thread is back!

I shall participate!

View attachment 500049
THIS is exactly the look I want to achieve! It looks phenomenal! I think I may be tying to stretch it too much in the wrong direction, if that makes any sense. I'm going to try again tomorrow and use this picture for inspiration! :D

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I find it does well to let it kind of do what it wants, if that makes sense. Then put another layer for better coverage and depth if it needs it.

·
Seer of All
2,937 Posts
I got a few more pieces up yesterday. I understand what you mean about letting it do its own thing, lilibat! It does seem to have a mind of its own! Yesterday I was fighting 18 mph winds and working alone so it was very hard to get it stretched tight enough. I've also realized it looks much more impressive from a distance than up close. When you have your face right up next to it you think, wow, this isn't what I wanted at all but then you back up about ten feet or so and there it is! I'll keep adding to it till I get the effect I want or close enough. I must say, it's not as easy or quick as I thought it would be but a lot of that is due to my combination of brick and siding I'm trying to attach it to.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What's the easiest way to attach it? I'm going to start this weekend covering fences and a porch area outside. I do have an interior idea I'd like to do for the haunted garage also.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Inside I use mostly command strip hooks, little ones. You just have to not over load them and think about what direction the pull will be in. On the porch I have a bunch of white cup hooks screwed into the beams. I also make use of white zip ties and gutter spouts. You can get brick and siding hooks but I have never used those myself. I may put some on the horse fence in front of the house, I'll probably just use push pins or staples since the fence is wood. I also plan to make some heavy wire U stakes for securing to the ground if I need to.

·
Seer of All
2,937 Posts
Inside I use mostly command strip hooks, little ones. You just have to not over load them and think about what direction the pull will be in. On the porch I have a bunch of white cup hooks screwed into the beams. I also make use of white zip ties and gutter spouts. You can get brick and siding hooks but I have never used those myself. I may put some on the horse fence in front of the house, I'll probably just use push pins or staples since the fence is wood. I also plan to make some heavy wire U stakes for securing to the ground if I need to.
ZIP TIES! WHY DID I NOT THINK OF ZIP TIES?!? I use zip ties for everything that needs to be fastened anywhere but for some reason it never occurred to me to use them with the webbing. Perfect solution for downspouts and through shutters, since mine are plastic and won't hold a staple. I've just about finished but now I can go back and tighten some that are hanging a little too loose.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts