Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well 2013 was the year that we introduced the 4 Button Learning Prop Controller and we would like to see how you used it. There were about 400 of these sold so I am expecting to see a lot of videos from controlling pneumatics, lighting and whatever, plus let us know how you liked it as we are considering on building more for 2014. Attached is a vid of my backyard with various items being controlled and how many of the 4 relays of the controller being used.
I will put in the times if you want to skip straight to that action.
:43 gator attack using 1 relay
3:14 Elvis using 3 of the relays and mp3
4:04 Flying witch, fog, and 2 witches 4 relays
4:40 coffin dude, guillotine and hangman 3 relays
5:25 guy jumping out of chair, mad scientist and frankenstein 3 relays
8:13 zombie boy,zombie, saw 3 relays
10:00 zombie on walker 1 relay
11:50 Clown,spot light, wolf, speakers 4 relays
12:18 jack n box, clown 3 relays
13:03 guy jumping up, coffin jumper, kicking legs(they broke) 3 relays

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. This is the one that myself and tstraub sold. I have them under the vendor section for sale. They are similar to the piccoboo plus but a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Looks great scubaspook, can't imagine all of the behind the scenes wiring and air lines running everywhere. I LOL'd when you got to Oingo Boingo.

You gave me a few good ideas, especially the clown area as I'm going to be doing one. After seeing this video, I now understand your other recent post about all of the stuff you bought after Halloween. I was thinking geesh, that's kind of over the top, now it all makes sense :cool:

I picked up 3 of your boards and soldered the parts on them. They all worked great without a hitch. It was my first time doing any type of animated props so I also had to ramp up on using cylinders/solenoids. Overall wasn't a big deal other than being time consuming at first.

Here's a daytime walk through mine after Halloween showing where the boards were used. I controlled a jumping spider, zombie, and someone manually triggered a pop up skull.

Regarding some suggestions for improvement, it would be nice to have a timer circuit on the input for the PIR sensor so that we can inject an adjustable delay for the input so that we won't have repeated triggers. On one prop I simply incorporated the delay into the programming so that after the pneumatic jumping spider did its action I didn't hit the program button for a few seconds. So the board thought the program was still running even though no relays were being activated. The problem was that after the 2nd audio track was triggered and had played, there was silence for a few seconds before the program finished and then would revert back to the primary audio track.

For the other props, I ended up using an Arduino to sense the PIR input and then trigger your controller. The Arduino allowed me to ignore multiple PIR triggers as well as more precisely select my delay between triggers. But it was another added level of complexity as I had to homerun RJ11 cables from the controllers back to the Arduino.

Regarding the MP3 player, I hated trying to get those SD cards out of the MP3 board. For what ever reason they were always hard to get out and I'd have to remove the MP3 player from the controller board to get a better grip on the SD card. I didn't like taking the MP3 player board in and out cause I feared I'd mess up a pin. Easier access to the MP3 board would maybe make it easier to get the SD card out. I probably wasn't helping my cause as I'd also tried to mount the controller within a container so the SD card access was difficult while the MP3 board was inserted.

Other than that it has the perfect form factor and easily enough relays. I had wanted to trigger light effects but just ran out of time, so I was hardly taxing the boards.

·
Registered
871 Posts
The trick I use to make getting the SD cards out easier is to make a tab with blue painters tape. Tape to one side of the card and leave an extra inch extended past the card, double it back on itself and tape it to the other side of the card. Easy as can be to get it out now.

·
Registered
875 Posts
The controller has a programmable re-trigger delay. Adjustable from 1 to 15 minutes as I recall. You can look at scuba's video to see how to reach that setting.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The controller has a programmable re-trigger delay. Adjustable from 1 to 15 minutes as I recall. You can look at scuba's video to see how to reach that setting.
Ugh, looks like I missed that...will have to go back and look into it. I take everything back I said about you Steve ;-)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ugh, looks like I missed that...will have to go back and look into it. I take everything back I said about you Steve ;-)
Look at 5:16 of this vid and you can see what Halstaf was talking about tape. You garage haunt looks cool. Can't wait to see what you do next year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts