Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that a lot of people here have names for their yard haunts. Our display has been slowly evolving, and this year is the first year that I'll be adding animation, a "professional" fence & columns, etc to the yard. I'm considering constructing it like a small maze to walk through. We got so many positive comments last year just from adding colored spotlights and "flying" ghosts that I'm motivated to go "bigger and better" this year.

I'm wondering if we should "name" our yard, put up a sign, etc...for our display. We don't advertise or anything, but I keep thinking maybe it would be fun to have a name for it, something people could remember from year to year and associate with our yard display/haunt...

Any thoughts on that? Pros and cons? Does it matter, do you think?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Jamie, I think giving your haunt a name would be an excellent idea. Maybe if you offer a bit of info on the style of your haunt members could offer you some name ideas, and maybe you'll find one that suites the style of your haunt. BUt I think naming it would be an awesome idea:) Look forward to seeing pictures of it:)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Its nice when people know your haunt by name. It gives people something to remember. we went for years using haunted house signs only. then we gave it a name. its nice that people come up and say hey your the guy that puts on Nightstalker manor. before it was your the guy that does that haunted house. it gives it distinction.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alrighty then - the Aye's have it! :) Now to come up with a name...

We'll stick with the general cemetery/graveyard theme...though I try to incorporate at least one element of our "indoor theme" with the outdoor display every year (it changes every year). Our last name is "DeBree"...maybe a play on that somehow...

I'll have to think about that for awhile, I guess. Our street name is "Sunnyview" - maybe we should play on that too/instead.

I'll think about it for awhile...fun! :)

Here's a photo from last year's party, linked to my flickr page (more photos, plus the yard)...if anyone cares to look...

·
~zombie hunter~
3,346 Posts
Names add the personall touch to it. I say go for it. All of your pictures are sweet! Would you like me to organize your office? lol . If you thought your office organization was bad wait till you see mine.lol. anyway love your halloween pics and a name would be fun. :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
how bout sunnyview manor. Sunnyview Cemetary. Your street name has so much potential.
We live on Harmon Ave and so nine years ago we came up with Horror on Harmon

·
Shadow box dancer
1,393 Posts
Plus it is fun to have a theme to tie everything into. Plus like other people said people remember it. I think it would be cool to tie it into the the name of your street.

·
Reaper Queen
8,570 Posts
lots of great potiential for names there, lots of ways to play with the sunnyview theme, , will think about it, can't come with any at the moment, it also will matter, like previously said, if you have a general theme.
At least you have a good street name, mine is 11th ave. BORING!! I named my campround haunts, whispers in the park, thought it was appropiate, will go with any type of theme,
will try to come up with sugestions for you!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Halloweenrocks...the problem with my office is that I get it organized, and then start throwing stuff in here again! It just doesn't *stay* organized! :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone, for the suggestions. All this time, it was staring me right in the face though...don't know why it didn't occur to me!

When we set up our wireless network here at home, we had to pick a name for it. We named it "Scaryview" to distinguish it from the neighbors' wireless networks - so there you have it. Our yard display/haunt will hereafter be known as...

Scaryview Cemetery!

I like it! Now to make a sign...

·
Mourning Rose Manor
2,318 Posts
I agree with everyone, the name really makes a difference. It took me forever to come up with a name I loved and of course, the forum members helped me out. Here's the sign I made for the corner of my cemetery this year. It's outside the cemetery and well lit, so now we're not just "that" house = LOL. I'm sure I'll add and re-vamp the sign over the years, but the name stays!

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
I agree with everyone, the name really makes a difference. It took me forever to come up with a name I loved and of course, the forum members helped me out. Here's the sign I made for the corner of my cemetery this year. It's outside the cemetery and well lit, so now we're not just "that" house = LOL. I'm sure I'll add and re-vamp the sign over the years, but the name stays!

Ohhh, love your idea of the sign (made out of foam) and the countdown sign. Well, two more items on my list. :)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
wow Pandora, you're haunt is amazing! I just love your haunt name and countdown sign:) And those pillars and the fencing, did you build those as well? If you made all of those items, do you have a "how Too" somewhere on the forum on how one would go about building them.

Last year I named my little spot, I can't call it a haunt, maybe one day though:) I call Mine MorGoth Manor. It will do until we move, then I want to think of something that is far more suiting to my style:) But I didn't have a sign made up, and would love to know how.

·
Mourning Rose Manor
2,318 Posts
Thanks all for the compliments. As for any how-to's, honestly I'm just a copycat. The FCG is from Phantasmechanics Online. My crypt is built (95% at least) from the plans at Raven Manor Welcomes You. My tombstones are also based on Keeba's (Spooky Halloween Music, Halloween CD's by Michael Hedstrom-Hedstorm Productions) which I love, and Terra has some wonderful how-to's also. The pillars and the fencing came from the monsterlist (Monster Page of Halloween Project Links) and I'm not really sure whose link I used. The Monster List to me was such a huge inspiration and still is. I've spent hours, if not days on it. It was one of the first links I found years ago and really felt like....Wow, it's not just me!! The forum, of course, was the icing on the cake for that. Definitely check out the MonsterList and just make tweaks of your own along the way...make it YOURS.

DOD, as for the sign, it really is just a tombstone. My aunt gave me 2 Christmas Angel candlesticks (which I warned her, would not stay Christmas if she gave them to me). Then I just did the usual extruded polystyrene base and stone, dremeled the name and painted it all up. Again, try Keeba's techniques, they're really wonderful.

·
Reaper Queen
8,570 Posts
Pandora, love the sign, I have seen Keeba's work, which is fantastic. I also started out spending days on the monster list and haunt projects, and searching thru there saw this forum on someones site and haven't left it since!
Jamie, love the name scareyview cemetary, it is a great name, fits well !!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I named ours "Not so Sunny Lane" because, duh, we live on the corner of sunny lane and one day my son mentioned it was funny that it was such a contridiction to what we do to the yard every year. We also kind of play off the thought that not everything is as it seems. This year I'm wanting to add a sign like you would see going into a small town or subdivision that says "Welcome to Sunny Lane" and then in red paint, to look like blood, write "Not So" on it like it was vandalized. I think if you want to keep enlarging your yard haunt and maybe add a web page or do flyers or something it helps to identify your haunt and make it more memorable.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts