Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally had to put a real plywood roof on my hears, used birch ply or floor underlayment when I built tried all kinds of things to
seal it but the water got in an separated it all I did make it two years though, while I am fixing that I am making a few other modifications.
put on some molding on the bump out will inlage (square up the back doors) and spent the money and got some plexy for the large windows
and thinking of changing the scallops around the large window to spider webs and putting skulls on the bottom and top of the molding on the
blocks, but after all that I was wondering if I should keep it white or go black although the white has weathered,
give me your feedback and Ideas

Attachments

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,568 Posts
First off, I LOVE the hearse. Outstanding prop! I'd love to build one myself, but I'm afraid of the storage issues with such a large prop. That would take up a garage spot that I really don't want to give up. In case I decide to build one though, I'm going to keep these pics as a model. But this isn't about me. Sorry. :eek:

Black is a great color and really gives that creepy Halloween feel, but at night it might get lost in the display. I feel like you'd lose the details of the hearse by making it black. Keeping it white though makes it look like just an old hearse, rather than a creepy haunted hearse.

I know that was no help whatsoever, so I vote with painting it black, but I really think you should at least shoot some dim spot-lights on it to light it up a little.

Awesome prop! Please let me know how you store it. If it comes apart for storage I'd love to get some build info.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
White requires less lighting Black requires more lighting and brighter lighting(if lighting is a factor?)
The Black is the obvious choice unless you might think it is too common or passe/?
White might be more "Ghostly " if seen from any distance (But then maybe you don't have that much "distance?)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
That is an awesome prop! Nicely done! I have to say that I really like the weathered white look - to me it not only stands out in the dark, but it gives the eerie feeling of something once innocent that has been long forgotten. If you wanted to try something different though, I'd use some silver or gold metallic paint and highlight all the molding on the hearse. Around the windows, the scallop shell details, the trim on the bottom of the hearse, etc. Maybe even add a finial or something on top of the roof in the metallic color too. If you decide to paint it black, the trim will really be shown to great effect if it's metallic, but if you keep it weathered white, a bit of gilding will add detail but also a bit more of that forlorn feeling, IMHO.

If you go black, this hearse is really lovely accented with gold:

FET13MTHLOC4X3V.MEDIUM.jpg

http://www.instructables.com/id/Antique-Horse-Drawn-Hearse-Halloween-Prop-Replica/

kb-white-hearse-800x600.jpg

http://clairegebben.com/category/on-carriages/

This one is white with some gold accents - a little fairy-tale-ish but depending on your lighting & other decor, could fit right in. I also like how the white one above has some trim all around the roof, like a little fence.

You can buy curliques & other wooden designs that have flat backs at craft stores or at big stores like Lowes or Home Depot near their stair bannister area. You can just paint them & glue them right on to add that extra detail.

Let us know what you end up doing! Would love to see another pic! :D

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It dose not break down, and fortunately It rolls on those real carriage will my parents happened to pic up of craigslist as I was building it luckily they where
the wright size, I store this on a trailer in my side lot that's how it's gotten all weathered, sorry don't see how to respond individually, as far as lighting
it sit's wright under a street lap although I do still try to light it a bit, it dose have crown molding but I had to remove it to redo the roof no you can dance a jig
on it , was looking for something to put on the top of the pyramid just don't know what yet ,thanks for the photos love the white one need to think more about
it and thinks for all your thoughts. here's a photo from Halloween

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
I LOVE this prop! Great build...I personally really like the weathered white look...as someone said, it has an old forgotten look and it is very cool...but it depends on your haunt theme...the black definitely looks more "New", but the white looks old and ghostly...

·
Registered
681 Posts
I am going to be making a hearse possibly for 2017 and i was thinking of making it black as well. But i was thinking of going with a red spotlight on the front but also back lighting it with blue or green so the silhouette would pop at night. Or possible even go a median of a darker gray paint. To me that would also make it pop. I guess a great prop is all about the lighting more than the color.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really hate to paint the wheels as they are from an original carriage thought about making a painted cover though

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,568 Posts
Oh no! Don't paint the wheels if they're off an original carriage. I really like they way they look. I honestly don't think you should do a thing. BTW, did you build the skeleton horse, or purchase it? Awesome!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow I am surprised at the overwhelming response to keep it white, I really thought that every one would think I should go with black.
well I will have some new pieces on it to paint but they should blend in time, just finished this pattern to replay the scallops around the window
now I just net to cut eight of them out of real wood so I wont have to replace them again.
thanks to everyone for your comments and support

Attachments

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Mine is black and it wouldn't look good white, the style you have works well with the white and you should keep it that way. Some say lighting matters, others say that the color matters....all that really matters is that you have one. Mine is made out of OSB and has been outside for about 6 years with no covering whatsoever. Sure the OSB wafers and I need to hit it with a can of spray paint every year but it's a Halloween prop so it's no big deal to me to keep it in original condition.

The big "sell" on mine is that someone is in there on Halloween and she scares the crap out of the "is it a person or a mannequin:' crowd. I used sliding door safety glass for the windows so it can take getting smacked and doesn't scratch

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mine is made of pine and I will be replaceing the large windows with plexy (wish me good luck with cutting it ) and it could saport someone inside as I have
been inside and on the coachmans seat, but at times I don't know if we have enough tot that someone would want to spend there time inside
I just hade to replace the roof as it was made of birch ply or what is also called floor underlayment. would love to see a photo of yours
ohh I built the carriage so any mods to that really are not a big deal I just don't want to touch the real carriage wheels.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts