Halloween Forum banner

Should Halloween be the last Saturday of October?

• Yes

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • No

Votes: 43 87.8%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I personally would love it if Halloween was the last Saturday of October.

It'd be good for kids, because they get to have their fun trick-or-treating and parties.
It's good for parents because they won't have to go to bed early or have work the same
time so they'll be better motivated to watch over their kids. It's good for adults who want to party...

I can't think of any decent BAD reason, that can stand up to any of the GOOD reasons to make it the last Saturday of October.

What're your thoughts?

·
Registered
43 Posts
No. Halloween isn't just a fun holiday for kids and parties. It's also an ancient tradition that would lose some of its magic if it was just set on a certain day for convenience. It's great when Halloween falls on a Friday or Saturday but I would hate if thw date was changed. October 31st should forever be Halloween.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
No. Halloween is October 31st and I can't think of one good reason to move it. Kids have been trick or treating on school nights since the beginning of trick or treating. No harm done. Schools hold sporting events, plays, and plenty of other functions on school nights and no one seems to mind that.
Hold parties on the weekends if that works out better for you, but Halloween should be left alone.

·
Registered
14,453 Posts
I'm going to disagree with the suggestion to move halloween. The past few years that have had halloween fall on a weekend, Sat or Sun didn't matter, we had way fewer ToTers to the house. Families went to parties or whatever instead of staying close to home and ToTing. I love seeing the kids come to the house in their costumes, so the more kids the better. Plus when you decorate for them, much better to have more kids see your efforts. Nope, I'd much rather have a fluctuating holiday.

·
Suburban Sorceress
753 Posts
Growing up I loved when Halloween was on a school day - fun parties, and a perfect excuse to stay up late! I actually don't like when it falls on a Saturday because I love my annual party and I love trick-or-treating and I wouldn't want one to interfere with the other. Also, there is someone special and traditional about the 31st and it just wouldn't be the same to me if it changed every year like Thanksgiving! Can you imagine thinking in April "what day is Halloween this year?", "hmm, I don't know yet".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Real interesting responses!

I think my personal perspective growing up might have been a little different.

For me, in elemtary school, I didn't mind so much having Halloween on a weekday, and I can say I even enjoyed it. :) And as a younger child, we went trick or treating earlier and went to bed earlier.

But in middle and high school, I remember everybody dreading Halloween on a weekday, because we would want to be trick or treating from about sun-down up until about almost midnight, then hang around until midnight or later. This, of course, was a bit harder to do with school the next day, because we'd be exhausted.

And as for Halloween parties when growing up, I think we generally only did them on Halloween night, without a weekend party.

So I think maybe it's just different ways of growing up. :)

That said... I'm older now, roommates and I are doing a party tomorrow, and we hope we get a lot of trick or treators on Monday! :)

- Hernan

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,638 Posts
Absolutely not. Halloween is October 31st.

The day they decide that it's okay to shift Christmas around from the 25th as well, I might see doing the same with Halloween.. which will never happen. :eek:

·
CANNIBAL
2,597 Posts
Given our current forecast I'd like to see it moved to September.....don't worry I'm just kidding!

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
I voted no for the same reasons mentioned above - However...

I would support November the 1st being made a National Holiday, with schools closed and businesses shut.

It is All Saints Day, a big day for Catholics.
It allows all-night activities on Halloween.
It allows for more Samhain evening festivities for the pagan community.
It could quickly become a major holiday shopping day if marketed right.
When it falls on a weekend, we could treat it just like Christmas or the Fourth of July, a 3-day weekend.
I wouldn't have to use the already limited vacation time I get as an American.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,648 Posts
Another NO vote. Leave it on the 31st. Interestingly, when Halloween fell on Saturday two years ago, our numbers dropped by half. Where we normally get 600+ TOTs but we had only about 325. The weather was fine so our best guess was that on a Saturday, there were a lot of adult parties, or other social events competing with TOT. When Halloween fell on Sunday last year, our numbers went back to 0ver 600 and each year when it falls on a weekday, we do well. My vote is to leave it where it belongs.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I also voted no. I can't imagine having Halloween on any other date then the 31st. When I was a kid having it fall on a school night wasn't an issue with me. It actually made it more fun. We had a party at school that day, complete with a costume parade. Then we got to look forward to trick or treating that night. When it fell on a weekend it wasn't quite the same because you didn't have that build up to it during the day.

I do agree with Spats about making Nov 1st a holiday as well and giving people the day off. My husband took the 1st off this year and I already had it off...but we may make that a new tradition.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I didn't vote because honestly, I don't know. When Halloween fell on a Saturday 2 years ago, we had more kids at the door then any other year! Plus it was awesome because we went to a costume party after TOTing hour was over. It was such a great night!

I agree with what one poster said about making November 1st a national holiday - However, I could never see this happening, at least for Canada. Canada's Thanksgiving is the second Monday in October and is a national holiday and Rememberance Day is November 11th and is a federal holiday; They have been discussing for a long time making Rememberance Day a national holiday too...And because it isn't even a national holiday yet, I can't see the discussion to make November 1st one coming up any time in the future.

On one hand, it's so tempting to not have to work the day of "Halloween" and have the day after automatically off. On the other, Halloween IS October 31st, and it would be so weird if it wasn't. Also, if it were on the last Saturday of the month, some years it would feel really early - Looking at the calendar, on the year 2014 it would be on October 25th! That just sounds so early to me :S November 1st is when I do a 180 and completely switch over to 'Christmas Mode' as well...Blowing the candle out in the Jack o' Lantern, putting away the leftover candy and taking off my costume before getting into bed is sort of like closure on not only Halloween, but October in general; I wake up the next day to November 1st with 'Christmas Brain'...haha.

Guess I lean more towards 'no' for it to be on the last Saturday, but I'm still torn :p

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
NO!!! Not because Halloween is the 31st but because Friday and Saturday are terrible nights with competing activiities. To me Monday thru Thursday are the best...with Monday being the bestest.

BTW..no problem moving it to September either for the warmer temps

·
Registered
372 Posts
Big NO, I think we have already moved enough holidays around for convenience. I personally like when it falls on a weekend because of work schedule and such but I appreciate it more because it does not happen every year. So just like the seasons change I think it is cool as the date moves through the week over the years and all the changes that come with it.

Please keep Halloween on 10/31

·
Wee bit Wicked
2,144 Posts
Absolutely Yes, move it to Sat.:)

Last year it fell on a Sun... don't get me started on the disaster that was. I'm not going to sit here and slam all the ignorant so-called religious people around here that don't have a clue about H'ween and decided to go ToTing on Devil's Night instead. (kinda ironic if you ask me). Or the fact that I live on the border of 3 counties and each made different decisions on when to ToT and they all waited until 5 p.m. Sat night to make that decision. And I'm not going to sit here and slam those religious people for saying that they have 'activities' on Sunday night, as if they don't have ' activities' any other night of the week. Duh... football, piano, soccer... they are all 'activities'. And I'm not going to sit here and slam the local media for starting the frenzy to begin with when they broadcast a segment on when to ToT. And they had some ******* woman (complete w/ baby on her hip...geeez...) announcing to the world that H'ween is the devil's b-day and she would not be ToTing on a Sunday. And I won't sit here and tell you how I called that station and chewed their a$$ for irresponsible reporting.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't H'ween fall on Wed next year due to it being Leap year? Wed= another church night for the locals to make an excuse to not allow their children to have fun. Don't get me wrong... I am a Christian. And the God I worship likes to see children have fun.

But, make H'ween on a Sat. If for no other reason than to make my life happier. :) :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Absolutely Yes, move it to Sat.:)

Last year it fell on a Sun... don't get me started on the disaster that was. I'm not going to sit here and slam all the ignorant so-called religious people around here that don't have a clue about H'ween and decided to go ToTing on Devil's Night instead. (kinda ironic if you ask me). Or the fact that I live on the border of 3 counties and each made different decisions on when to ToT and they all waited until 5 p.m. Sat night to make that decision. And I'm not going to sit here and slam those religious people for saying that they have 'activities' on Sunday night, as if they don't have ' activities' any other night of the week. Duh... football, piano, soccer... they are all 'activities'. And I'm not going to sit here and slam the local media for starting the frenzy to begin with when they broadcast a segment on when to ToT. And they had some ******* woman (complete w/ baby on her hip...geeez...) announcing to the world that H'ween is the devil's b-day and she would not be ToTing on a Sunday. And I won't sit here and tell you how I called that station and chewed their a$$ for irresponsible reporting.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't H'ween fall on Wed next year due to it being Leap year? Wed= another church night for the locals to make an excuse to not allow their children to have fun. Don't get me wrong... I am a Christian. And the God I worship likes to see children have fun.

But, make H'ween on a Sat. If for no other reason than to make my life happier. :) :)
LMAO
Thank you, I needed that!

·
Registered
120 Posts
@creeeepycathy LOL! I'm from an area of small towns and one does it on the Friday before every year. What ticked me off is the small town I used to live in would always through a party on Halloween and it cut ToT's in half and ToT was only from 4:30 or 5 to 7 and the town party for the kids overlapped that short time. What a pain in the butt! And they have no system to when or why they move it because sometimes it's on the day, and sometimes it's not. This year, they're doing it on Monday. One year, they moved it from Thursday to Friday. Crazy small town people.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts