Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up for anyone looking to pick up AC adapters for props.

This past season I picked up the kicking legs prop from Big Lots! and while packing away my Halloween stuff today decided to run to Radio Shack for an AC/DC adapter for it so I'd have it for 2009 and not run around at the last minute looking for one. I took a photo copy of the instructions that came with it so I'd know the details of what I was looking for. I showed it to the sales guy there and he took me over to the area where the adapters were. He asked me if I had the item with me and I laughed and said "no" and he said he couldn't help me without the item. Apparently the adapters they sell now a days have quite a lot of options and have different plugs. He said he needed to know more about the plug diameter to help me. The store appeared to have about 20 different plug ends and when you buy the adapter you get a free plug end to complete the unit. Interestingly the adapter we ended up with had multiple settings too--needed 4.5 for this prop but it offered a range on one adapter. I'm a newbie at all this but know enough from the boards here that you don't want to put the wrong adapter with the prop or you'll fry it. I laughed telling the guy I was going to have to bring my Halloween prop in then I guess. I had hoped to just bring in the instruction sheet and not the pair of legs! He kind of smiled at me and said he'd really need to see them to get the right set up for me.

So back home we went and grabbed the legs and quickly stashed them in the trunk wondering if my neighbors had seen me carrying around a pair of legs. Drove back to Radio Shack and thankfully it was dark outside and not that many cars drove past who saw me remove the legs from the trunk and haul them into the store. No one else was in the store when I got there but the two sales guys broke out laughing when I entered. I told them I was glad they weren't crowded! Well I ended up with an adapter and plug end and the sales guys took the adapter out of the box and attached the plug end to it and set about trying it out--to make sure it worked--oh, yeah I'm sure THAT was necessary and something they do for everyone!! They were both grinning the whole time and asked what I was going to use the legs for. Told them about my tomb robber theme and they laughed. The one guy said he pictured it for Xmas in red suit pants getting stuck in a chimney. Well mission accomplished, learned that walworts had changed over the years, and everyone got a good laugh out of the trip.

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW if you purchased the Big Lots! kicking legs prop by Take One and didn't get printed instructions with your guy here's the power info your missing:

Battery operated: 4 "C" sized batteries. Alkaline recommended. "Continuous Run" time is 45 hours. Continuous cycle--30 seconds kicking, 60 seconds resting period.

Adapter: Can be used with an AC/DC adapter not supplied. Use with any UL approved AC/DC adapter with input: 120V AC 60Hz 18W, output: 4.5V DC 800mA. Tip polarity: positive tip polarity

Here's what Radio Shack set me up with:

The Radio Shack adapter we bought: SKU# 273-029, 3-12VDC - 1000mA AC-to-DC Power Adapter. Energy Star, includes choice of Adaptaplug. (make sure you set adapter to 4.5V for your leg prop before using)

Adaptaplug: SKU# 273-1714, Adaptaplug "K" (color coded deep purple), 5.0mm O.D./2.1mm I.D.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Too funny, and thanks for the info....can't wait to try my legs out,they are still in the box, may just wrap them up and put them under the tree with my name on them...lol. I have many adapters laying around here with muti fittings and adjustable voltage so I should be ok. Funny I almost broke the legs out to add red pants and stick them in the fireplace.......ha.

·
Registered
522 Posts
There does not really seem to be a standard for the wall warts.

The inside diameter of the pin and the outside diameter of the plug itself are very important.

Typically, the larger the diameter the more current the plug can handle. Although I have seem some laptops with tiny center conductors sucking like about 3 amps.

This unit for example specifies the inside diameter,but not the outside diameter:

12 VDC 1.2 AMP WALL TRANSFORMER | AllElectronics.com

I generally do a slice and dice on the ends, match the voltage and current of the wall wart with the unit I want to power and then go through my box of ends and find one that works and solder it on.

I use a lot of wall warts directly tied to relays or what not without the connectors, but I always save the connectors for when I might need one.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Better yet and easier would be to just make a chimney as a front yard display or porch display to protect it from the elements (too bad I don't have a porch or I would do it for sure) and put the legs in upside down or at a 45 degree angle. It would work for sure and be too cool.

·
Grave Rigger
982 Posts
Better yet and easier would be to just make a chimney as a front yard display or porch display to protect it from the elements (too bad I don't have a porch or I would do it for sure) and put the legs in upside down or at a 45 degree angle. It would work for sure and be too cool.
Hmmmmm....just happen to have a front porch....:rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts