Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hellio all!

I'm going to be making a Shiatsu groundbreaker this year and I'd like to hook it up with sound so that it will moan and groan when it gets triggered; however, the tutorial I found doesn't address adding sound.

Can anyone tell me what I need to get my groundbreaker talking when it's triggered?

Thanks!

Chuck

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
If you want to spend the money, you can get a PicoBoo 104 (or 105, depending on your taste in supply voltage).

It will handle the whole control deal for you: plays ambient music, accepts the trigger, flips a relay to supply power to your prop, plays the "action sound track".

There are other, cheaper approaches (like hacking a cheap MP3 player), but they are more work to employ.

That's my experience. Others will probably have other suggestions.

·
Registered
429 Posts
They're right - you need some kind of microcontroller running the show. It should be hooked up to a motion sensor, and then when it sees people, it can turn on the Shiatsu, as well as play an mp3. If you don't have any experience with electronics and programming, get one of the Picoboos, which is a stand-alone unit that you can set up to run the whole thing.

If you have electronics and programming experience, then any microcontroller (Picaxe, EFX-Tek Prop-1, Arduino) can run the show and trigger SFX when needed. But that's more work and expertise in a specific area required.

·
Registered
358 Posts
you could use ac powered computer speakers. just plug the speakers into a mp3 player (repeat on) every time you power your prop the speakers will come on

·
Registered
142 Posts
Similar to what bert1913 said, use some old powered computer speakers that you have lying around or get them cheap at various places. Then hook them up to an MP3, CD, or even an old cassette player. Whatever player you choose should be on repeat with the power constantly on. The computer speakers will be hooked up to whatever trigger you have, and the power to them will be off until triggered. If you don't have one, most likely you'll want to make a motion detector trigger and there are tutorials here for that (very useful and cool, and I've built several). The motion trigger will set off the movement of your groundbreaker and turn the speakers on at the same time. :D

·
Registered
566 Posts
I agree whole heartedly with bert1913 and DawnDead. This is a quick, easy and cheap setup that I also use to trigger my grounbreaker schiatzu props and sound. This really works well if you don't need your sound track to start at the begining of a track each time it triggers. For moans, groans, screeches and wailes it is perfect. I use a 2 light motion sensor yard light. Walmart has a Brinks model for about $12. I wire a male plug onto the power wire connections of the lgiht. This provides power to the light fixture when it is plugged into the ac power I have throughout my haunt.Then I put a colored floodlight in one of the light sockets and a screw in recepticle in the other light socket. These screw in recepticles cost about $2. I plug a short extension cord (about $2) into the screw in recepticle and then plug in the power cord from the schatzu massager and the power cord from the ac powered speakers into the extnesion cord. I get my ac powered speakers from thrift stores. They run around $4 but be sure to take something with you to test the speakers before you buy them. I use an MP3 player with the track I want to use (on repeat) plugged into the speaker input jack. Now turn on the mp3 player. The MP3 player plays constantly but there is no sound until the motion sensor is triggered and the speaker turns on. When the motion sensor is triggered the light comes on to light the prop, the schatzu prop activates and the speaker turns on and the sound can now be heard through the speakers. This setup has limited uses but it is very simple and does not require any knowledge of electronics or expensive microcontrollers or experience on how to program them.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the late reply everyone...

Some great suggestions for me to consider. I like the speaker thing suggested by bert1913 and DawnDead...throw in the motion sensor thingy from Scary Papa and I think I'm in business. Great minds can accomplish anything! lol

Chuck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts