Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night my wife said that I had taken up the garage for long enough and she was tired of cleaning up foam that I tracked through the house. She kindly suggested that I should clean it up on my day off.. So I threw the last coat of paint on a few things and started to clean up. Now what to do with all this stuff? Do I set it up in the back like I normally do (and we talked about.) Not happening, I put all this work into this and I want the world to see it for as long as possible. View attachment 7125

View attachment 7126

View attachment 7127

View attachment 7128

View attachment 7129

·
Registered
14,297 Posts
Cerberus, you'll make her proud! You did a fantastic job. The house looks great. Nice coffin. Did you make the Poe headstone? I really like it a lot.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Yes spookie, I made everything except for the flamingo skeletons and the little marker underneath the tree. Everyone on this site has been a great help for inspiration and tips. Next years project will be a fence and pillars. That is if the front display goes over well this year which I know it will.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Very nice work--definitely not to be hidden away in the back yard! I am also loving the Poe headstone. The boarded up windows are really great too. Of course, I love it all!

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I agree - way too much work to hide it all in the backyard! Nice job!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Nice stuff! The Poe is great! I tried making a tombstone last year from styrofoam board and dang if I could avoid from making a huge mess and not getting good rounded edges. Figured $5 to $10 for each at a cheap store was worth the price based on how much time I spent cutting/painting.

The boards on the windows.. what kind of wood is it, where did you get it from... or what did you make it out of and what was the price? I love that idea. I was going to put some yellow tape up around a window, but this looks better.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
andjarnic- I can relate, when I first started I had a pile of foam pieces, none of which matched what I had in my head. I kept working at it and reading a lot of posts and watched the vids on how others did it (thanks Terra) which was a great help. The boards were surprisingly easy be it time consuming. They are made out of the same foam and based on spookyblue's work.
Fake Wood From Foam Boards - SpookyBlue.com
the one difference I did was instead of using sandpaper to carve the lines, I used a dremel with a rounded grinding bit and a handsaw for the edges.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ok.. very very kewl! Thanks for the link. Now, the question is.. not sure of the foam they are talking about. The foam I got was 4x8 from home depot..I forget how much I paid. It had some sort of cover strip on one side as well. It was styrofoam looking and white in color. I suppose this could work? Or is this a different kind of foam and if so, where might I find it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
andjarnic - The foam I used was the extruded polystyrene that came in 4 x 8 sheets from Lowes. You may want to ask around, but I think this is one of those things that may be difficult to get in CA. The foam you have should work, but since it is not as dense it may be more fragile and may ball up when you carve it. Give it a shot. If it breaks up on you try gluing a sheet of poster board to the backside for support. Good luck.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ah, ok.. so because of CA's stringent laws with regards to things like styrofoam, we may not be able to get the same stuff you got? I'll check to see if they have some. I remember the stuff I got did what you said.. as I tried to burn words into it, or cut it, it sometimes fell apart in tiny pieces.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I know this reply is a bit late (Things to do places to haunt) But I gotta tell ya GREAT display ! I love the Poe tombstone the best. The master would be PROUD !!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts