Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, as many of you know, that's from HEY NINETEEN by Steely Dan. All about how the younger generation has NO idea about stuff older then, say, 7 years back.
Decided to start this thread to explore that. Give us your examples of things that people didn't know about but SHOULD..
One of my best is a blind date I had one night...very beautiful model calibre chick. We met with some friends for supper out. WATERWORLD was playing and I had seen it, and the girl asked what it was like. I told her that it was really just ROAD WARIOR on water.
She asked what ROAD WARRIOR was.
Remember this was over a decade or so ago...
Up until that time I had been sweating and really feeling intimidated by her beauty.
That cooked that.
As Steely Dan sang later in HEY 19, "no we've got nothing in common, no we can't talk at ALL"
For the rest of the night I just cut loose. Would take a fork with food on it up to her mouth for her to eat while saying;'choo choo choo'. Challenging her to a wrestling match, best two falls out of three, no standing 8 count.
Turns out I was a breath of fresh air for her. She called up Baby Brother, totally smitten and wanted another date, asked if maybe if she got a new hair cut if it would improve her chances..
So I'm telling this one to the folks at work and someone pipes up and asks what ROAD WARRIOR was...
They really didnt KNOW...
I said "Mel Gibson??" very softly.
Nothing.
I don't ask you see EVERY MOVIE, but it might be cool to know or be aware about one of the landmark movies for the 80's...

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
So they publish a new Physician Directory in the hospital where I work...and there's this doc with really dark hair, huge eyebrows, huge moustache and glasses. So I say "Hey he looks like Groucho Marx." Not ONE SINGLE STAFF MEMBER on duty then could identify Groucho Marx....or even knew who the Marx Brothers were. I had to Google some pics...then SOME of them said.."Oh Yeah, I've seen them." The rest had no clue. I know I'm older than dirt, but come on!!!! :eek::eek:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Ha! What a great idea for a thread. My real name is Lindy so when I used to introduce myself, I used to say, you know, like Charles Lindbergh. I quit doing that when I started getting those blank stares. I guess cross-atlantic flight from a guy named "Lucky Lindy" has been eliminated from the history books?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mhooch: I someone once who asked in seriousness if maybe he was in violation of copyright for stealing the Vlasic pickle storks' gig...I used Groucho once as an avatar at work, and got chewed out...someone else wondered what kind of example I was setting, smoking a big cigar like that where kids could see it and be influenced by it...
SKULKIN: We're at a party and some ditz comes up after being introduced to a guy named Charles Dickens and says;"Not THE Charles Dickens????"
it was a long long night...

·
Vicious Dog Wrangler
1,012 Posts
I remember being in the hospital a many years back and the nurse had just given me a shot of demerol for the pain. My bf at the time asked me "How are you feeling" and I started singing "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd...he was like "What the h*ll is that?" Which led to a discussion on how he didn't even know who or what Pink Floyd was, let alone any of the music. Long story, short...I married him anyway. :)

PS...I'm 34, and probably should not haveknow who Pink Floyd was either, but I have a brother 6 years older than me and he had all the cool blacklight Floyd posters

·
Incarnation of evil
916 Posts
I work with a lot of younger guys. I love when they try to preach to me about how great 70's music was and how much the 80's and 90's music sucked. I just want to look over and slap them. It's like WHAT! You were born in the late 80's and when momma was still wiping your nose and changing your diaper I was watching some of the best concerts. I like it when they act like they know it all. They make me laugh, if Matrix was here, he'd laugh too..... (Thats from the movie Commando) another 80's movie!

·
A Great Pumpkin
3,103 Posts
We had a garage sale recently, and I had my old roller-rink skates (with cool red side-by-side polyurethane wheels!) and a little girl came up and was said, "what are these?" Her mom & I both had to laugh (she was my age (the decrepit side of ancient)) - kids just don't know what they're missing!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts