Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find Dave Lowe is creeping into my soul. I love everything about his work. The whimsy. The humor.
This past year, I have started creating some props inspired by his work. I was thinking that there may be others here that too share my admiration for Mr. Lowe. (I won't call him Dave. I don't wanna be all creepy stalker chick you know. hahaha) So c'mon and share your projects with us!

Here's a few items we recently created inspired by (copied from) Mr. Lowe. :D

The Witch Crash

023.jpg

The Bat Cage

009.JPG

Witch Kitchen Jars

vampire ashes (1).jpg
maggots (1).jpg spider 2.jpg

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Oh, you went there! ;)

Those are awesome, Hilda! I'm sure he'd be jealous of the execution.

Mr. Lowe is definitely inspiring. I haven't replicated any of his work yet (the big monster eye is on my list and I love the giant guillotine the kids have to walk under) but I'm inspired by the tone, and by how much his sketches guide his prop designs.

For anyone not "in-the-know," Mr. Lowe's blog
http://davelowe.blogspot.com

Go there, enjoy, make something, post it here! ;)

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,606 Posts
I thought he did finish the UFO.

Here's Dave's latest, I started a thread about it but figured I could post it here too!

Zombie Window Silhouettes

Here's just one image:

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,118 Posts
It may be a small thing, and not seem intuitively obvious, but the 'busted-wall-cannonball' for our last pirate theme was as a direct result of his witch crash.

Obviously, the witch crash concept has been around, but his was so dimensional that it got my wheels turning. His concepts are always fun. :)

Cannonball Damage 3.jpg
Cannonball Damage.jpg

·
Halloween Nut
2,942 Posts
He made a label for his niece Devin, and I made this.
voodoo devin.jpg

Hilda, I love the jar you have the vampire ashes label on. I have used that label too. The Witch Crash is excellent

The Cannon Ball Damage is really creative too.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
This peeper was loosely inspired by Mr. Lowe.

The look of his skeletons, the humour of his props, and having a little bit of a back story.

(I don't know if it comes across, but it's intended to read as the same skull on either side, with different expressions - I think I need to add some detail to the skulls to sell it a bit better. Also wanted to have a "tremble" in the scared skull on the right, but I gotta work on that too.)

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
OK, I tried my hand at the bat in the cage project. My grandson (age 3) and I sat down and made the bones out of clay last weekend. I told him I would use them in a Halloween project, and am excited to show him next time he is over how they are being used. Even used one of the bones as the perch for the bat. I found the unusual cage sometime back in a thrift store, the bat is from Dollar Tree, and the moss is left over from another project.

·
Protector of the winged
1,491 Posts
PIB - you and your grandson did a wonderful job on the caged bat and that cage is a very cool find. I bet your grandson had a blast helping with it :)

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Defenstrator ~ The cannon ball crash is Brilliant!! Very well executed. Wow!
Im the Goddess ~ I never saw that label before. I'm going to have to find it. Thank you.
GobbyGruesome ~ WOWZA!. That is spectacular! I wish I had the patience and talent to do animated props. That rocks!
Paint It ~ I love the 'skin' on that potions and spells book. Oh and that cage is ADORABLE!!!! I love love love the bone perch!
BR1MSTON3 ~ I have to look that up now! That aging is fantastic! I just did one with some plain ole spray paint and your method is so much better!
Intellagirl ~ That is SPOOKTACULAR! I want to do one now.
:D Thank you all for sharing!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
She is...the most interesting crafter in the world. hahaha:D

Love it Hilda! Looks awesome!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts