Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year me and my boyfriend will be throwing our 5th annual Halloween party (well, 5th for me – 2nd for us throwing it together). We’ve really been trying to cheap it up so we don’t end up spending a lot of money, but we still want to add some awesome things to the party. Last year we had a costume contest, and the prizes were just store-bought ribbons. This year, I wanted something a bit cooler than that.

While shopping in Dollar Tree for awesome cheap party supplies, I spotted some fake severed hands and feet. I immediately thought of how cool it would be to paint them gold and use them as trophies for our costume contest. When I mentioned the idea to Jon, he threw in the idea of having a black base and, ta-da! Our idea for costume contest trophies was born!

From this:

To this:

They’re quite elegant, if I do say so myself :)

You can find a how-to on my blog (link in signature), but they're pretty easy, so you could probably figure out how to make them without my help!

Total cost was about $13-14 for four trophies. Much better than paying $5-6 per trophy at a party supply store!

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
good idea. They will make nifty little trophies without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
They turned out great. I might "borrow" the idea. I thought about doing the barbie ones I've seen but they look a bit complicated. Are you going to put little plaques on the bottom saying "best costume" etc?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you going to put little plaques on the bottom saying "best costume" etc?
I've thought about getting a plaque made for the "Best Costume" foot. But I know for the hands, I'm making little identification tags that say what costume category they're for and also who the hand "belongs" to (the winner).

·
Registered
668 Posts
When I first saw what your supplies were I was like hmm I don't think those will look very good probably pretty cheesy (tho that's good sometimes), but I LOVE them with the gold spray paint and the black base omg they are great I am thinking that's the way to go with mine this year. :) Excellent job and great idea!!!!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Those are excellent! Very creative. I wish I was having a costume contest so I could use that idea.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, everyone! I'm really excited for my party. I think my guests are really going to like them :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
V_gan,

After posting my question -- I noticed you had a blog and found the instructions. I'm off to the Dollar Tree to search for my limbs.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I just want to say <3 <3 <3 I have my hands and my foot spray painted gold and am working on the bases now I am spray painting them but it seems to be taking a while. What type of glue did you use to hold yours. I have a smaller base for the foot and am not sure if I will like that or not. I noticed you were going to do the toetag type of idea with cardstock for placement for the fingers how do you think you might attach it to the foot?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just want to say <3 <3 <3 I have my hands and my foot spray painted gold and am working on the bases now I am spray painting them but it seems to be taking a while. What type of glue did you use to hold yours. I have a smaller base for the foot and am not sure if I will like that or not. I noticed you were going to do the toetag type of idea with cardstock for placement for the fingers how do you think you might attach it to the foot?
I used a glue called E-6000, because my boyfriend said it was the best. I got it at Michael's. It worked really well!

I was considering getting a small bronze plaque made at a trophy shop to attach to the base of the foot. I've priced it both online and at the shop, and it would be about $4-5.

For a toetag on the foot, I would probably get a needle and stick the string I was using through the toe before I glued it onto the base. Then you could tie the tag on after everything's dry.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Oh great idea. Make sure to post pictures after u get them finished up I'd love to see them. If I can ever find my camera I'll post some pictures of mine up as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts