Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this year my wife and I started to setup a few days early. It occurred to me that every year it takes, longer and longer. We worked 2 days straight and we are yet to be done... Heck, we are still in the process of getting certain props completed.. so my question for you is how long does it take you?

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
I need two days to set-up, but only have Halloween day to do it.
I think this year I'm going to try to run all of the extension cords the day before and also stage all of my yard props in the garage, ready to go.
That's my plan, anyway.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well everything from last year will be out of storage and up over the weekend
there are a few that i need to well really want to modify some :) so those will stay down a bit longer I've just started making this years props as well LOL

when all is said and done with all the moving and rearranging of everything it pretty much takes all of OCTOBER LOL

yet some how seems to all come down at once that night (go figure)
then about a week to take apart and repack :mad:

·
The Minister of Macabre
953 Posts
So, this year my wife and I started to setup a few days early. It occurred to me that every year it takes, longer and longer. We worked 2 days straight and we are yet to be done... Heck, we are still in the process of getting certain props completed.. so my question for you is how long does it take you?
I am gald you started this thread... As I was just thinking the same thing this weekend as I started pulling stuff out of storage. I guess over the years we keep adding to our collections and as each year passes, we have more to work with and set up. Not to metion, the lighting that is involved, ext cords, placement, sound and so on...

I guess what keeps me falling behind is the amount of clutter that gets in the way as I start decorating. It's so easy to get overwhelmed with things in the way, we get side-tracked and more and more time is lost. This weekend, I had so many boxes and plastic bags in the way, I didn't know where to start! At my rate, it is going to take me all week (after work) to complete my front room display!

·
The thing under the bed
631 Posts
We started about 2 weeks ago with dragging everything out and deciding what we are going to . The inside of the house is almost done. I will probably start the outside stuff this weekend. But only the things that get anchored down well so they are not easy for those that like to help themselves to stuff. As we still get afternoon storms I will hold off on other things until the middle of October.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,279 Posts
About 6 hours for the initial setup a few weeks out -

webbing, ghoul on the garage, lights, graveyard fence and mausoleum with cheapy stones.

At least another 6-8 hours the morning of Halloween for the good stones, FCG, spot lighting, etc...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Already started on the inside of the house. Was going to start pulling the stuff out of the shed tonight. But, son has the Flu, and gave it to me!! :mad:
Now I don't feel like doing anything :(

·
Super Moderator
5,783 Posts
4 SOLID days, give or take depending on how bad my wrists get from driving stakes (stupid old injury...part of the reasoning for a massive theme change next year, it's ballooned to well over 500 stakes now). But that counts lawn maintenance, and equipment checks, sorting, etc.

With a solid 4 hours on Halloween day to re-set all the consumables used as we do a live party/walkthrough on the 30th. (fog juice, torch oil, propane, etc)

·
Registered
120 Posts
My husband dedicates one day to setting up all the outside props. I set up the graveyard while he does all the lighting and runs all the electrical cords and airhoses. I do all the inside decorating which I work on a little bit at a time.

·
Blvd FrightNight
671 Posts
well im not even done with my props yet still needing things i started build everything last weekend lol. but last year i had a very small set up it took me like 1 hour to set up and 30 mins to take down. this year it should take a good 2 days

·
Registered
473 Posts
About 31 days.
I put out one or two new items every day, according to a schedule I plan out in September after I know how much of the new stuff I want to do might actually have a chance of being completed. It's not quite so stressful and lets me tweak as much as I want. Reaction of the neighborhood is fun - people stop by all month long to check and see what's new.

·
Registered
395 Posts
We also put things out over time, starting the first week of October like headstones, skellys, and jute netting. The hardest part is figuring out to get power to all the lighting, extension cord runs, air hose runs, and audio lines. This year we'll have DMX cables to add to the fun. Unpacking everything from the shed takes a long time too.

I'd say 4-5 FULL days of work to get everything situated. Even with a full "dress rehersal" the night of the 30th, I'm somehow always messing with the details right up until it gets dark on the 31st. I'm taking more days off from work this year to try and have it ready a bit earlier. I'm sure it won't help ;)

Still need to finish building the pirate ship, and program my VSA routines.....agh!

-dgm

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I do it in increments throughout the month. I'm in the same position as the earlier poster with the clutter! I have to work around the weather, and storing some of the props I've completed that I don't trust to be really weatherproof/windproof. I can't even bring down my "Halloween" stuff from the attic because there's too much stuff for this year's theme already in the house (and my car is also full)! I'm still working on things, and probably will be right up until the TOTs come. If all my props were completed, and all the accessories located, the physical setting up would probably be a full day's work. But that's never gonna be the case!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I take the entire month to do mine. A little bit at a time goes up. On Thursday I'm putting up a sign and a single, lit, paper mache pumpkin. On Friday I'll do another paper mache pumpkin and a BL Bulb outside... its very gradual to Build interest. I'll throw up the last hardcore stuff in an hour or two the day of.
How ever I can throw up the entire Halloween display, alone, in as little as 6 hours, depending on wind, whether or not I have all my tools set up and ready to go, If all of my props are completed and depending on if I have a plan that's easy to implement. If even one of those variables are off, then the build-time pops up to a day to a day and a half easy. that's too much variance for me to set up the day of or two days prior with confidence. That's why I take all month to do it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The last two years it took me about 2 days to get prepared - I really only like to put things out right before the big day, especially all the electrical.

I worry a lot about the weather - am I the only one who obsesses over having RAIN ruin the 31st??

This year I have a new challenge: houseguests arriving on the 29th! My father-in-law and his sister (aunt-in-law?) We're very excited about their first visit to our house, and they have heard plenty about my decorating, so I am going all out for their arrival.

They are both looking forward to being part of our spooky trick or treat evening!

However, decorating usually takes a front seat the last few weeks of October, and houscleaning, cooking, etc. are pretty much ignored. So wish me luck in getting the house ready for guests - and putting up all the props!! :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts