Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I want to set up my cemetery this week, but last year I had a few stones stolen last year, and my gravedigger. I am not in a dangerous neighborhood, but its just teenagers thinking its a cool prank, but they don't understand how much trouble it causes for me! Whats a good way to protect my props, and cheap ways too!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I usually don't have problems. (knock on a wooden toe pincher)...... But have heard of other putting up fake security cameras. Or making a sign stating that the haunt is being watched, all thieves will be either prosectued or become a new prop....

·
Grave Rigger
982 Posts
I would get one of those wirelss motion detectors, and set it up at the entrance to your yard. Some have loud alarms built in, and some send a silent signal into the house(I prefer that kind:D).

·
Registered
463 Posts
I just put up my fence columns and gate, but if someone wants to steal something they are going to (as my 16yr old tells me) (nothing is out yet though) I also have spotlights set up on the roof shining down into the yard. So it will be nice and bright all night when I'm asleep. I will also be putting up signs saying smile, your on candid camera and see how it works.

·
Hauntless
8,351 Posts
Never had anything stolen yet but I made some pretty nice tombstones so they may be a bit tempting. So, I'm going to do some theft prevention. I drilled two holes into the bottom of the plywood base and I'm going to tie rope from each to a tree stake pounded in deep and hidden with leaves.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
First thought that comes to mind is...landmines.

Short of that, the ideas of some fencing (even if it's low - it just needs to be a barrier, even if it's little more than psychological), a motion detecting light, and real or fake cameras.

Perhaps put a motion detecting light that is shuttered, except to highlight a sign that reads:
[highlight]"Please be aware you are now being filmed - thank you for visiting our haunt"[/highlight]
or something like that - just something to startle them a touch, and make them think twice about taking or damaging anything.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Well I want to set up my cemetery this week, but last year I had a few stones stolen last year, and my gravedigger. I am not in a dangerous neighborhood, but its just teenagers thinking its a cool prank, but they don't understand how much trouble it causes for me! Whats a good way to protect my props, and cheap ways too!
I actually have security cameras so its not as big of a conscern for me anymore. However, before the cameras, I bought a small black chain about 50 feet long and linked all my props through the chain and locked them up with a mini lock. Easy to do, not too expensive and it should keep your props where you put them!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I actually have security cameras so its not as big of a conscern for me anymore. However, before the cameras, I bought a small black chain about 50 feet long and linked all my props through the chain and locked them up with a mini lock. Easy to do, not too expensive and it should keep your props where you put them!
TEXMASTER: do you mind if I ask what kind of cameras you have and where you got them? I just put out a new thread that I'm looking to buy some but not sure exactly what to get or where to get them. I would appreciate any ideas/suggestions, thanks!

·
Registered
814 Posts
TEXMASTER: do you mind if I ask what kind of cameras you have and where you got them? I just put out a new thread that I'm looking to buy some but not sure exactly what to get or where to get them. I would appreciate any ideas/suggestions, thanks!
Not a problem! They are expensive though :(

I have 8 cameras in total. The two in the front are high dollar 250 bucks each.

The other 6 are 125 a piece.

The DVR was about 600 smackers. It does have internet access though and can be seen on my big tv.

Places to shop online are Coastal Video Security and Beach Audio

Please ask any questions you might have. Whatever you go with, make sure you get Wired cameras.

And remember, the lines or resolution is extremely important! You want at least 480 lines. Anything less you can't really see faces and then what would be the point right? The two bigger cameras in the front are 550 lines each

And dont forget infrared so you can see at night!

Here is a picture of all my cameras

·
Registered
574 Posts
Cameras only work if you've caught the perps and are in need of evidence.

The best defense is a fence. I recommend a traditional cemetary fence, with those nice pointy fleur de lis tops. Alternatively, even a stick fence will keep back the casual miscreant.

For those bold enough to brave the fence, your next step should be lighting. Motion activated light fixtures aren't expensive and available at your local home center. Lights suddenly popping on are pretty frightening to most people who aren't hardened criminals.

If you want to make it more difficult for those who have braved the fence and the lights, some wire holding your props to immovable or difficult to move objects is a good addition. I have attached thin wire to selected items and tied them to trees, a casket, or the fence. If they have to waste a lot of time trying to get something, they increase their chance of being caught. Most will not spend a lot of time to get a prop. Most will not bring wire cutters with them. Most will not try to take very large props.

Next up would be more active deterrents, like dogs, alarms, and landmines.

Craig
fence, lights, wire, 2 big dogs.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I heard of an interesting tactic...
The haunter put up a sign that said (essentially) that the haunt will be torn down immediately if there is vandalism and reminded the would-be criminals that the haunt is there for the enjoyment of all, especially children.
Sometimes a big dose of guilt works! lol

·
Registered
625 Posts
For the Harbor Fright tools first camera in that link, that camera looks really fake. The second one I would think it's real. I had no idea before I read this thread what you would do. After reading this, I think the best advice would be either to get a camera in which people could see (fake or not), or to get the motion detector thing. For each of these, you should warn people, you have them in big bolding somewhere on your lawn.

My biggest problem is that we have to protect our lawns from things happening. The police are patrolling speeders (at least in my area) instead of patrolling side streets where the people live.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts