Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Setting balck make up????

I am going to be Jack Skellington this year. I saw a great tutorial on it and the make up artist set the white part with powder but not the black. I want the black to be very black but not shiny - can it be set with translucent powder or will that make it look too grey?

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,331 Posts
Translucent powder will set it. Don't let the color fool you, it just keeps the shine down but won't turn the makeup a color. Everything from Neutrogena's $5.99 stuff to Ben Nye's translucent setting powder will work, just some are easier to acquire than others. Nye's stuff will have to be bought online on in a costume place, the others can be found in from the grocery store to CVS to Walmart.

I bought small bottle of Ben Nye's stuff ages ago & use it with regular makeup. It works great but so does the Neutrogena powder I've used.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a good place on line - Chicago costume - to get Ben Nye make up - I'll do a test spot and see how it works. I have a big party every other year and can't afford to mess up my costume the last minute - it is hard enough as it is to start the last minute props etc.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,331 Posts
Oh definitely test everything first & test it on your face or wherever you're putting your makeup.

I just figured that since you don't wear makeup often (or never) you may not know that sometimes $5 powder works as well, sometimes better, than a $50 powder. The Nye stuff is good too (when I do get all dolled up I set my makeup with their translucent stuff) but you might be able to get away with a $5 Walmart find. You can also return make up now too as long as you have the receipt.

If you buy a regular makeup powder from CVS or wherever anything that has the word "translucent" in it will work & the compacts will have an applicator with them so you can stick it in your pocket & touch things up easier.

·
Registered
873 Posts
My first choice would be to use alcohol based makeup and call it a day. However, in your place...
If I couldn't find a black setting powder or didn't like the result I was getting with other powders, I would try 3 things in this order.
A light coat of ground charcoal (put a brickette in the blender ? jk lol).
Fixier spray
Aqua net or other hair spray.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,331 Posts
Please don't spray flammable things like Aqua net on your face. I just have visions of things catching fire....:eek::D Plus it's super drying to your skin.

I like the charcoal idea though.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Please don't spray flammable things like Aqua net on your face. I just have visions of things catching fire....:eek::D Plus it's super drying to your skin.

I like the charcoal idea though.
You realize that aqua net was created to be sprayed on the hair in an era when much of the population regularly stuck burning objects between their lips ?
I would be much more concerned by the chemical content in some of the Chinese junk Halloween makeup kits.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Setting the makeup depends on the type of makeup. Cream makeup is set with translucent powder. Pan sticks, grease paint, most FX wheels like bruise wheels are cream makeups.

If one is using water activated cake makeup then this is set with (moisture) sweat barriers and fixing sprays. Cake makeups are Mehron's Paradise, Wolfe Hydrocolor, Graftobian's new Pro Paint...there ae others. The you have Mehron Sweat Barrier, Kryolan's Fixing Spray....For the face use Mehron's Skin Prep Pro.

Ben Nye Magic cakes are like Mehron's Starblend. These makeups are best set with a sweat barrier underneath, as opposed to a final seal on top, but that works too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The best thing I've found for setting make-up is a finishing powder - such as NYX Studio Finishing powder (around $10) - topped with Urban Decay All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray (around $25). I absolutely love the Urban Decay spray! When I'm on stage, I SWEAT. UD keeps my makeup from running and keeps color true, especially if you use a makeup primer base. A good start for a good makeup job is to not skip your primer! They come in all ranges of pricing from drug-store/Walmart pricing to expensive department/specialty store pricing. Just get one that you can apply easily that doesn't cake on your face.

All that together and you should stay color-true, run-free and smudge-free all night long. :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tips I've learned from drag queens. The cheapest and best translucent powder you can buy is coty powder. You can buy it at walmart. As for setting spray, Aquanet has the exact same ingredients as Model in a Bottle and Urban Decay setting spray with the addition of a fragrance (unless you buy the unscented kind.) Aquanet can also be used to get stains out of clothes and as a pepper spray if you happen to be walking alone at night in heels...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Last year I did all the face make up on moisturizing facial masks. The color was vivid and when we took our make up off our faces were super soft!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
Sunsh1ne
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing