Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a pop up for inside a coffin that is pneumatic. Having the guy pop up is not the problem since I am buying a kit that will do that and will control it is a picoBoo and a kit I am buying. Now what I am wanting to do is have his head turn from a laying position turn the the crowd when it pops up. I am thinking this has to be done with a servo correct or can this be done with a wiper motor. A wiper motor would make it go all the way from left to right and not what I am wanting. If I use a servo how would I program the action for him to turn his head? Would I need to use VSA or is there a way I can do this with the picoBoo?

·
Registered
51 Posts
pneumatic

you could use another small pneumatic cylinder, and solonoid and have the Picoboo control it . With the Picoboo you could have it turn several times in the same sequence.
Jim

·
Registered
495 Posts
There is a how to out there that just put a groove into a pvc pipe and as the prop went up the head turned. It to was in a casket if I recall correctly. It's a regular haunter I'll try to find it
-PB

·
Registered
955 Posts
Simple crank and pulley will work

If you mount the head on a piece of pvc that is inside another piece of pvc, the head can then rotate. Down inside the body you use an elbow of pvc and another short piece of pvc to make a crank or lever. Position the lever so it is pointing in the direction you want the head to turn with the head in the straight position. Put a spring on the lever to lightly hold the head straight. Now all you need is to place something in the way of the lever as it comes up with the head. You may want to make the deflector adjustable so you can play with how far the head turns. The head will need to start turning before the body reaches the fully upright position. If the lever is very short, then the head could turn from straight to nearly 90 degrees in a very short distance. Of course the shorter the lever, the more force the lifting force will need to overcome to turn the head. Again some adjustability here may be helpful.

Oh yeah. My first thought was to use a pulley and cable system. Thus the title. I find you can not go back and edit the title.

·
Banned
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you mount the head on a piece of pvc that is inside another piece of pvc, the head can then rotate. Down inside the body you use an elbow of pvc and another short piece of pvc to make a crank or lever. Position the lever so it is pointing in the direction you want the head to turn with the head in the straight position. Put a spring on the lever to lightly hold the head straight. Now all you need is to place something in the way of the lever as it comes up with the head. You may want to make the deflector adjustable so you can play with how far the head turns. The head will need to start turning before the body reaches the fully upright position. If the lever is very short, then the head could turn from straight to nearly 90 degrees in a very short distance. Of course the shorter the lever, the more force the lifting force will need to overcome to turn the head. Again some adjustability here may be helpful.

Oh yeah. My first thought was to use a pulley and cable system. Thus the title. I find you can not go back and edit the title.

Hmmmm I got an idea of what you are saying, but I am a guy so I need pictures...LoL

·
Registered
955 Posts
Too Deep

The ability to look within is the first step to self realization.

Grasshopper.

Not sure if your old enough to get this one.

Hint . BAAAADDD FUUUUU

·
Registered
955 Posts
Not Movie

Series on TV.

Actor has been in recent commercials. Yellow Book

Called Grasshopper by old blind dude that could kick jus bout anybody's a$$

Your a night owl ain't ya.

·
Registered
955 Posts
OK

Series was back in early 70's. Likely before you were born.

Kung Fu

David Carradine. He played a half asian dude in the west. Kung Fu do gooder.

I'm old but I like Nick. Best stay young at heart. Daughter gonna get married this spring. GranPa here I come.

Back on point, how ya gonna turn the head?

·
Banned
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea I heard of it and seen it before, but I wasn't into those shows much.

Not sure, when I was first thinking of the idea with the cylinder the idea came to mind that was posted with the PVC with the cut in it. I just scanned over the tut so I did really see how it was put together. Would really like to use a servo though to limit a lot of pneumatic action in the coffin.

·
Registered
955 Posts
You can use a servo for sure.

But that means electrical control etc. The slotted pipe will work, but I think you will see an elevation change in the head. Not sure if I would like that effect. Since you have movement from the body being raised, you can use that movement to turn the head.

Now if you want the head to turn on it's own after the body is fully raised, then likely some kind of servo or micro switch controlled gearmotor will be required.

I picked up some small cylinders at a surplus store. 1/2 bore with inch stroke for $5.00. I send you one if you want to try pneumatic approach. I got two really small spring loaded ones for $1.50 each. Stroke on these is 1/2 inch and could be easily hidden. If you controlled exhaust, you could turn head a number of times during sequence.

·
Banned
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was wanting to move into doing some VSA stuff, probably won't incorporate that much next year because I have other props I want to do first. I was wondering if I could program the servo to turn 90 degree from a set position. Then use the picoBoo to control that servo once power is applied. I don't know much about servos and VSA works yet but that was the idea I had in mind. It would keep things lite this way. If anything I will just scratch the idea until I can come up with a easier solution and just get the pop up in the coffin done. I am buying a kit for it so that shouldn't be a problem. Then the next year go back a tweek existing props with some more detail. I have a problem with wanting to go over the top and do things right off the bat big. If it can be done easily I would probably do it this year. Right now my brain is overloaded between Halloween and getting my Animated Christmas display up and running before next Thursday. Probably just need to take a step back for a few weeks and let the holidays calm down. But I would like to have an idea so I can start cracking away after the first of the year. It is just a pain in the rear to do a huge Halloween and Christmas display back to back and build for and plan for both through out the year. Seems like it is never ending. I keep telling myself save some stuff for next year....LoL Problem is I wanna get it out before it is seen somewhere else first and the competition is catching up to me....LoL

1 - 20 of 32 Posts