Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are the high tech servos so noisy and why don't any of you choose to switch to automotive control motors, like Air conditioning mode or fresh to recirculate motors. These are fast in response and virtually no noise like a servos. Just a thought and wondered if anyone has ever thought of using them or if it a cost thing.
I notice though the servos drown out the vocals of your script. These are all dc volt as well as the servos. Just a thought and would like to get some feedback from you guys.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Everyone is open to alternatives.

Can you provide some info on this type of motor?

IE what is the throw distance. Are they linear or rotory?

How much torque do they provide?

Obviously they are 12 volt dc. This could prove to be an issue. Plus how are they controlled? Remember servo's have feedback and position control.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well,
Some are linear and some are rotary. Unsure of the torque but they pull a door in a cars automotive air conditioning open and close with all speeds taken into concern with out any noise like a servo. You could travel at 80 MPH and select your cars A/C to switch from outside to inside temperature without any glitches and no noise heard. I am sure these motors are no wimps at all, taken in the abuse of the down force of wind against them at highway speeds, they hold up very well.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is just a thought, automotive has advanced so much they have incorporated a computer in cars to control every creature comfort or movement. Now they use a B can and F can data line to signal what device is to be operating in simple terms just like a transmission line. This allows for low wire usage, via multi plexes. Why can't these motors be used to contol our devices. Like 3 Axis Skulls or simple movements from props?

·
Registered
955 Posts
I agree with you. Automotive components are used for many props. The infamous wiper motor is a given.

So first lets take am example. If you are talking 3 axis skull, I am sure you have read enough on this forum to know that size and weight is an issue. Now if you were to mount the control outside of the skull and use cables to a gimbal mount, the weight and size would be less important.

This is a concept I have been looking at. Tilt and Nod could be easily controlled with aircraft control cables. They could be hidden in the vertebre of the neck. Rotation would likely have to be done at the base.

Jaw movement and Eye movement is still in the skull itself, but smaller and quieter servo's can accomplish this.

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
The reason I use ready made servos in skulls is that they include built in H-bridge circuits and potentiometers. Modifying automotive motors and retofitting them with H-bridge circuits would be prohibitively expensive and a hassle I would rather not deal with. I retrofitted a Wiper motor with an Hbidge and a POT and it works, but it was a hassle to build. For smaller applications, give me a ready made servo any day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As well as technically more complex.

The other issue is that it is somewhat rare for the description associated with a motor to include reference to the amount of noise it makes. It doesn't seem to be important for most uses so you have to go through bunches of motors until you find one thats quiet, then you have to make sure that its not just that that particular motor is a quiet one and the brand/model is normally noisy. Sometimes a motor that you think is strong and quiet is just buried behind insulation or long tubing and/or is counterbalanced. Sometimes the silly things are vacuum take offs. Sometimes (rare with cars) they turn out to be 90 volts. Almost every motor you want is the wrong RPM for driving what you need to drive. I actually have a trash can full of motors that are almost, but not exacty, what I needed. Very frustrating - as you can see from my comments :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts