Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious if anyone here had every tried the programable servo controllers sold by Servo City? They look pretty easy to use (read that: no programing skills needed) and I was wondering if anyone had tried to operate a prop with one.
Servo Recorder/Playback Controller

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
bradg896, here's a link with a video clip from another forum member who used that controller to run his 3 axis prop. http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/72873-my-3-axis-done.html

I bought one and its very easy to use. It takes a little bit of coordination to turn two knobs at one time especially if your trying to go at different speeds and in oppsite directions. But it you don't like the out come just record it again. The loop play is a nice feature but there is no provision for using a trigger to start it. However, its a bit pricey and you still need a power supply.

You might take a look at these, cheaper , no fancy box but only runs 3 servos http://simplecircuitboards.com/Spec Sheets/Programmable Relay - 3 Chnl.pdf

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Scareisburg, the Simple Circuits board actually looks easier to use than the Servo City (cheaper too). Have you ever tried this board?

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
Gadget I'm glad to hear that they work well. I've bought their TTL relay board and it worked great.

Jeff was very helpful and replied quickly to all my questions, Very quick turn around on shipping. Great products, Low price, excellent customer service, but not real fancy on the packaging, I'm going to try his relay board this year. If I had found his site sooner I would of tried some for 08.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I actually like Jeff's boards enough that I was distributing for him on my website, Evilusions.com .

The only board I don't like is the ISD chip board, if you trigger is active when the file finishes playing, the board locks up.

Other than that, I still have one of every board, and they all work great. I have some custom boards also that he manufactured for us here at Evilusions also.

·
Registered
591 Posts
OK now I'm confused,mostly because I'm new to prop controllers.why is the simple circuits boards better than say a prop 1 or other brand? Are they diffrent?or used diffrently? This is a question for information, not the start of an argument.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The simplecircuits board is simply to record movements for 3 servos. It stores your realtime programming (via a potentiometer onboard) and allows playback and looping.

A prop-1, on the other hand, allows plenty more than that! It can be used to trigger relays, run motors, manipulate servos, turn switches on...etc...

They are two completely different boards for two different purposes. ie: The simplecircuit board is easy to program and run a 2-axis with mouth skull. However, the prop-1 cannot handle the programming load and therefor could not run a 6 minute long program. You could use the prop-1 to trigger the simplecircuit board if need be and use the AP-8 for sound.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
591 Posts
So the simple is a self contanited unit and the prop 1 is run from a computer? if so then the prop 1 could run 6 mins if the "VSA"program tells it to run that long? the reason I'm asking all this is I'm building a talking skull as soon as the skull arrives I all ready have the servos and trying to figure out what is the way to go for the board.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Both boards are standalone. The SCB controllers can not be programmed with your computer and are more button banger dial turning programming. Prop-1 and Prop-2's are alot more versatile, and can be run either standalone with the program stored on them, or they can be left hooked to your computer as a slave for VSA or Vixen.

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
Using a prop1 for skulls isn't advised, as they don't hold enough memory and cannot run more than a couple servos if any. A prop2 CAN be programmed to run a 2 axis skull, even a 3 axis but it takes alot of code. The Simple circuits are the best bet for 2 axis skulls for beginners for a standalone solution.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not trying to disagree with Dr. M, but the Prop1 will work just fine in a 2 axis setup and drive other units (audio boards, relays, etc.). Granted, you won't get 6 minutes of play out of it, but you'll have a hard time getting most TOT'ers to stand around watching something for that length of time (attention span of a gnat). You'll find multiple posting about blending servo movements with a Prop1 on their forum site as well as program solutions. Here is a video of a 2 axis setup I did a couple of years ago run off of a Prop1. I used it because I wanted everything, servos, controllers, mp3 player and all hidden in the clavium. Don't ask me why, just something I had to do.
ImageShack - Hosting :: 1000016bj0.flv

·
Registered
128 Posts
hey thanks for using my Skull as a reference

what i did was use the controller as just the 3 axis movement

the jaw movement was done with a scary terry audio board.

everything fit in the big pirate hat i had on the skull

just in case you havent seen everything in action, here is the final video of it running on halloween

·
Registered
591 Posts
Not trying to disagree with Dr. M, but the Prop1 will work just fine in a 2 axis setup and drive other units (audio boards, relays, etc.). Granted, you won't get 6 minutes of play out of it, but you'll have a hard time getting most TOT'ers to stand around watching something for that length of time (attention span of a gnat). You'll find multiple posting about blending servo movements with a Prop1 on their forum site as well as program solutions. Here is a video of a 2 axis setup I did a couple of years ago run off of a Prop1. I used it because I wanted everything, servos, controllers, mp3 player and all hidden in the clavium. Don't ask me why, just something I had to do.

OK,I watched your video and this is what I'm thinking of doing but my first one will be a jaw only,but in your post you say you used a prop1 for your 2 axis setup but watching the video isn't that 3 axis? Next question is did you download all the movements to the board? Or is this ran off a computer hooked to the prop? So I'll take a vote to the forum members which way would you go for a jaw only movement, later I may go to a three axis. Cost is an important factor,and I do have many computers I could dedicate to use of props only,and I have cables etc to use with the props and computer.And I have vixen and VSA; And support and info for using the board is a plus. So vote on which would be your first board?

·
Registered
76 Posts
So I'll take a vote to the forum members which way would you go for a jaw only movement, later I may go to a three axis. Cost is an important factor,and I do have many computers I could dedicate to use of props only,and I have cables etc to use with the props and computer.And I have vixen and VSA; And support and info for using the board is a plus. So vote on which would be your first board?
If you have spare computers and VSA, why not just pick up a serial servo controller like Pololu - Pololu Micro Serial Servo Controller (assembled) for $20 or a Parallax Servo Controller (Serial) for $40?

Mark

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
Heheh..I stand corrected..Very nice job, I knew a prop2 worked but had no idea you could get that much control from a prop1. And your right about attention spans. Thanks for the info!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts