Halloween Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying parts for a 3 axis skull and need some advice on what servos to choose and accessories.

I plan on using either the Hitec 425bb or the 485 hb, but i'm not sure if the later is worth the price increase. Also, what linkages and other accessories and wires are needed for the build?

I have also read that maybe the 485 would be needed for the nod and the 425 for the other 3.

Just looking for some advice from those who have built these before. Btw, i'm not using a kit and trying this from scratch.

I'll also take any other advice on the build of the neck. I have researched different builds, but would love to hear what works and what doesn't so well. Just trying to compile as much info as possible before placing parts orders.

Thanks in advance on any info you may provide

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
What are you using for a Skull? I build mine with Hitec HS-425BB's throughout. As far as needing a higher torque servo for the NOD, it's best to try and balance things out so there's not excessive strain on that servo. I use a counter spring to take the weight off the NOD servo. The problem with relying on the servo to hold the head upright on it's own is constant servo buzz. Using a lighter Skull helps with this, Buckys are not a good choice. Good luck! ;)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
J-man. What linkages did u use for connecting the servos to the rod end neck setup?

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
A combination of several things. 2-56 rod, swivel ball links, socket ball links, EZ-Connectors, Z-bends, custom made aluminum control arms. In short, be prepared for a lot of trial and error on your first attempt. :confused:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi all. I built four of the 3 Axis Skulls, per Halloween Bob's page, back in 2010. I only run the things for Halloween, about 4-5 hours with breaks between each show. Now my HS-425BB Servos (using SSC-32 card BTW) seem to be all over the place and mis-firing for lack of a better term. I can run individual components from VSA but when I put the saved show back on (show runs via Helmsman) that I use every year so far things are not working right. Jaws stop, servos get jerky, I have LEDs for spots, via the SSC-32, and they don't run per the show. If I turn off line items, via VSA, say and only run the LED spot lights they work correctly but not if all line items are on. Anyone have thoughts on why things are going nuts for me this year?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Not to hijack , but isn't it pretty much a bit safer to purchase a fully functional one from J-man ? At least thats my 2cents. He has very good skulls and the price is great. I know 3 axis is a bit more but at least you know the quality and support is there also. I would love to build one some day but just not that savvy about these things.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Hi all. I built four of the 3 Axis Skulls, per Halloween Bob's page, back in 2010. I only run the things for Halloween, about 4-5 hours with breaks between each show. Now my HS-425BB Servos (using SSC-32 card BTW) seem to be all over the place and mis-firing for lack of a better term. I can run individual components from VSA but when I put the saved show back on (show runs via Helmsman) that I use every year so far things are not working right. Jaws stop, servos get jerky, I have LEDs for spots, via the SSC-32, and they don't run per the show. If I turn off line items, via VSA, say and only run the LED spot lights they work correctly but not if all line items are on. Anyone have thoughts on why things are going nuts for me this year?
Maybe a shot in the dark here, but by your description, it sounds like a power issue. If those servos don't get at least a constant 4.8v (but not more than 7v) they will go wacky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts