Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not being a smart a$$ , or anything I actually really want to know. What does "spooky , elegant Halloween" MEAN? I mean my first thought are Martha Stewart Halloween , but sans glitter please , and other very stylish layout I've seen in october issues of mags. But how does that translate into a SR gift? I'm just looking for ideas and input because I have more pedestrian tastes so I need some guidance...lol

·
Reaper Queen
8,614 Posts
I would think that also, maybe a bit Victorian in nature, candle holders, and candelabras, with maybe skulls and. Ravens or crows Black lace, . If you are on pinterest, search elegant Halloween decor, see what shows up.

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
I would add thrift store silverplate pieces (tarnished even), Victorian style picture frames with spooky black and white photos, busts, black and white flowers, silver pumpkins, Mascarade ball type masks, taper candles, battery operated pillar candles, as some more ideas.

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
I've seen how-to's on making items look like mercury glass, on Pinterest. That might fit into the category. It would likely be cheaper to make a faux mercury glass item, than it would be to buy one. If I'm not mistaken, I've seen it done on the Dollar Tree faux pumpkins, not just items that are actually glass.

I agree with everyone's suggestions so far.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,602 Posts
Yeah, I'd say it would be dark Victorian types of non-gory Halloween decor such as ravens/crows, skulls (non gory ones...maybe glass ones or such), pillar or taper candles, candelabras or fancy candle holders, fancy (but old or creepy) clocks, lace or dark gray/black creepy cloth, things made with black, purple, gray roses and/or feathers such as wreaths, floral centerpieces, decorated top hats, ect. Lots of decor in the colors of black, gray, purple, deep maroon, silver, maybe a touch of white and other colors as such. Dishes, trays, display plates, ect done in silver could also work. Also old Victorian or silver picture frames with some fancy, old or spooky black and white photos in them are great. Basically, just think of what you would see if you went back in time and walked into a Victorian age mansion and a classy upscale Halloween party was going on!

F

·
0 Posts
I would think that also, maybe a bit Victorian in nature, candle holders, and candelabras, with maybe skulls and. Ravens or crows Black lace, . If you are on pinterest, search elegant Halloween decor, see what shows up.
I second this.

·
The Kitschiest Kitsch
1,760 Posts
whynotgrl, like the photo I posted on the first page, I believe you can make those by doing decoupage or you can even get plates that are oven safe, draw on them with a permanent marker and then bake them so the ink stays on the glazed ceramic. Don't quote me on that, but I think I've seen that before!

Either way, you can do this! If it were me I would definitely think Martha Stewart - with no glitter if that's what your victim requested:)

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Apparently I'm wrong about it being for a DT styrofoam pumpkin. (although I'd swear I did see it, I just can't find it now, it was a few days ago)

I did find this one, which I like best out of the few that I peeked through, hoping to find one that didn't require real glass. I wonder if you could use clear plastic? http://www.thistlewoodfarms.com/mercury-glass-pumpkin

There is also this site, which has a similar how-to, plus metallic and glitter how-to's for styrofoam and other types of pumpkins. She also has a teaser at the end that says she'll have a damask pumpkin tutorial on Thursday. I can't tell if it's a recent post or not, but I couldn't find damask pumpkins on her site, so I assume it's recent and coming soon. It looks pretty easy, like damask wrapping paper mod-podged onto a foam DT pumpkin.

http://www.monicawantsit.com/2012/09/metallic-glittered-dollar-store.html

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'm shooting for spooky elegant for my party this year, I agree with everything that has been said, its pretty much what I bought this year, but I'm also using gargoyles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts