Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
agreeeeeeed.

the only way toget decent stuff over here is to order it online, but then you get horendous p+p charges :(

try find a fancy dress store near you that might have a few bits and bobs!

2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've ordered most of my stuff online, mainly from Ebay. I still have a few items yet to arrive, so I'm hoping they get here before the sodding Royal Mail have a full blown strike.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree totally, and when you get to ASDA it's all sold out.

Although in fairness, some of the home made props people have done are fantastic, much better than any shop props.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The P&P charges make me want to give up altogether!

I've not been to Asda yet since they've got their Halloween range in. I might go tomorrow to see if I can find anything offbeat and not too... boring!

I'm worried about the Royal Mail strike actually! If I order Halloween stuff until about 5 days before they probably won't arrive on time! Grr.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Me too... Halloween spirit here is SO crappy... A couple of deco in the street but not that much. The ratio of house decoration is about 5:20. :(

=( But it can't be worse than in the UK.

Honestly, here, people don't even answer their doors never mind have decorations up!

It's so strange - dressing up and everything is so exciting!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here, here, maybe one year the UK should have a joint party for all Halloween enthusiasts, probably be as big as a USA size neighbourhood party. Pretty good.

Never mind answering the doors, the kids have pretty much give up knocking by mine, i have a diet of jellies for months after that.

2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here, here, maybe one year the UK should have a joint party for all Halloween enthusiasts, probably be as big as a USA size neighbourhood party. Pretty good.

Never mind answering the doors, the kids have pretty much give up knocking by mine, i have a diet of jellies for months after that.
lol I gain a few pounds over Halloween from all the leftover sweets

People can be so miserable here, not answering the door to trick or treaters. The great thing about Halloween is it's harmless fun and you can dress up and be somebody else for a night.

It's the religious nutters that annoy me making it out to be a night of mad pagan sin. Halloween has nothing to do with religion for most of us, it's about forgetting your a grown up and re-living a little part of your childhood.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I havent been to my nearest Asda yet, but will let you know when I do. I did go 'Halloween Shopping' around a neighbouring town(Ive posted this in the UK Merchandise section, so sorry if I'm repeating myself to some of you!), and all I came back with was 2 tubs of lollipops in Halloween novelty containers!! There were no props or anything that were any good!

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Give it time.

The more you decorate and the more you celebrate, the more the upcoming generation will embrace it.

The more kids knock and really yell "Trick or treat!", the more doors will start to open. Year after year you will see a few more, and a few more, until eventually the marketing moguls will see a consumer spending target, and it will take off.

The older generation may grumble that they never indulged in such nonsense, that they prefer Guy Fawkes Day and see no need to bother with pumpkins and candy, but when the majority of the neighborhood starts participating, they will fizzle out.

There is a part of me that is tempted to encourage the old school methods - no treat? You get tricked.
Eggs on windows, rotten cabbage smeared on doors, toilet paper in the trees and shaving cream on the doorknob.
That's the thing about trick or treat. There's no room for discussion. It's one or the other.
The problem is, you guys have way too many public cameras over there. Big Brother might not approve.

So, keep at it, keep decorating and knocking and make sure you advertize that there is serious candy at your house with lights and music.
Throw parties and encourage others.
Call fancy dress shops and tell them you expect more options and choice.
Make your own props.
Finally, remember we yanks are cheering for you.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
This video in the link shows Asda (part of the Wal-Mart group) Halloween range, this is pretty much about as good as it gets in U.K stores.

We're top for Halloween: check out this year's goulish treats - Your Asda

I'm fed up with the cheap crap we have sold over here. I demand better quality items lol..that's my rant for the day!
Aw hon, that's about what we have at our WalMart right here in southern California. In fact, there was a bunch of stuff on that vid that our WM didn't have this year. And yes, the vast majority of H'ween stuff in standard U.S. stores is cheap stuff, too. We probably do really do H'ween "up" on this side of the pond but serious haunters have to do some hunting and digging here too to find good stuff! That's just the way it is. I love WM for their candy prices and for some decorations; not costumes so much.

I always remember H'ween stuff being on the "cheaper" side, even in the 70s when it was seriously huge in my neighborhood at that time. Then as now, people bought cheap stuff because they'd only be using it or wearing it once a year. I still do love to look around the stores. It doesn't matter. H'ween stuff is fun no matter how you look at it!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts