Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your opinion, if any... on the media sensationalism of vampirism. The recent movie "Twilight" has been huge at the box office...

Is this a good thing, or a bad thing?

·
Factorial!
949 Posts
In my opinion it's bad because now vampires have become a cliche. i myself won't do a vampire anytime soon partly because of it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I hate it. Twilight is the bane of my existance. If only Bela Lugosi could rise from the grave and show these quacks the true meaning of being a vampire.

·
The Grim Reaper
921 Posts
The Twilight movie was definitly a chick flick. Had I directed it there would have been a lot less focus on the love story and more on the hunting and decapitation. The fight and decapitation of James could have been the best scene in the movie but it sucked.

·
Factorial!
949 Posts
My sister is a twilight junky and the next book has tuns of fighting between vampires and werewolfs. It probably won't redeem itself but it will likely make it better.

·
Factorial!
949 Posts
Vampires Suck!!
Is that a pun?

Vampires aren't scary anymore, now they're teenage girls dream dates. Twilight is just the latest in this trend.

How can you be scary and sparkle?
It's a little spooky if you dwell more on how they draw you in with their looks, even their smell and then they kill you. The ultimate hunter if you will.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The book The Dead Travel Fast examines how vampires have become part of popular culture. It's a really good read.

·
Vlad the Impaler
1,302 Posts
Ok here come my rant get ready. I think it's funny to see how the vampire has changed over the centuries, Origanly vampires where scary hideous beasts that had DARK skin that was purple because they consumed so much blood. They were also plump because of of the blood that filled them.Vampires could origanly come out in the day if they wanted and garlic did nothing. Than fastfoward to Brahm Stoker's Dracula who is more of a sensual seductive vampire, but yet he still has that beast side to him. All of a sudden vampires can't go out in the sun and thay are reppeld by every hoply object and garlic. Now they have pale skin and are usually fit. I think Stoker really brought foward the modern day vampire that we are used to. And than come twilight...I liked reading it but IMO Edward Cullen is not a REAL VAMPIRE!! And if he is he is a pansy of a vampire!! He dosent drink human blood, he's goes out in the sun and sparkles which is totaly demoarlizing to the vampire. He has good reflexes and can run fast. And the thing that really bothers me is the no fangs thing, My favorite part about a vampire is the fangs and the only thing Edward has is glittering skin and velvet hair. I think twilight sparked this vampire craze but it's not even real vampires that these people are thinking about. The vampire dose not need another change into something thats even more human like than the last. The Twilight vampires have ruined the old vampire that us origanl vampire lover liked. When I was a vampire for fright fest I can not tell you how many times I was called Edward Cullen. I thatn proceded to gore myself up as much as i could with cuts on my face streaming blood, a cross burn mark, blood spattered on my face, and blood streaming from my mouth. That helped. So to answer your question I do not like the vampire craze right now. If it were the vampire that stoker created and people like Anne Rice than I would be pleased with the nebie vamp fans but this nice no fang sparkling skin vampire destroys what the vampire was. I think the vampire being seductive is fine but at the same time it needs to be extreemly dangerous and evil. My favourite vampires are of course Dracula and the Interview with the Vampire vampires. I thought they captured the vampire very well.

End Rant :)

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,449 Posts
I can't STAND Twilight. I think it's pretty horrible writing, and the fact that the "hero" is objectifying the girl as too frail, too stupid and too idiotically "in luuuuuv" to pull her head out of her @ss and see that he treats her like a puppy... blugh! Just what we need a generation of young women thinking is true love - a guy that treats you like a stupid object and you're supposed to swoon all over the place.

I get the "forbidden love" part... but vampires are supposed to be sinister monsters that CAN seduce their intended victims...

The terror and mystique is fast fading from popular culture regarding the vampire, as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought it was totally lame myself... I mean the movie wanted the mystique and power factor for a vampire but did not want the evil or the dark side... they literally just should have done a movie about a kid with super powers. The movie romances the term "vampire" to mean something that I dont think it is.

I remember Lost Boys kind of made it "seem cool" to be a vampire but at least those guys killed people and were vicious hunters.

·
kakos
7,217 Posts
I like all sorts of vampires. I prefer fangs as well. Must admit, Louis and Lestat are sexy to me, so is Dracula. As far as Twilight is concerned I don't consider them real vampires, but still love the story. It's a twist on a love story and not a true vampire. It's a Romeo and Juliet story, but with better results in a sense.

It's all like evolution. Twilight is playing to how some teens act now (which I don't necessarily agree with, just stating). The classic vampire will always be around and I'm sure the classics will come back. Surprised they haven't redone Dracula again, but do it the way it's supposed to be.

I like the idea of vampires being sex objects, it's the ultimate lure.

·
Registered
725 Posts
My wife is a True Blood nut. She owns all the books and have read them each like 3 times. I like the series as well, that Anna Paquin is very easy on the eyes. ;)

On that note, we have not seen Twilight, but from what she tells me, she is rather annoyed with the twilight fans. Not sure we will see it.

Personally I like the darker side to vampires. The blade trilogy and John Carpenters Vampires are a couple of my personal favorites. In my opinion the great debate of being immortal is that it has to come with a huge price to pay. Vampires might have a sex appeal to them or be pictured as a high society class. But one has to ask if they would truly being willing to trade their own humanity for that.

·
~zombie hunter~
3,346 Posts
It doesn't really effect me. I mean Twlight was not that great of a movie. ( no offense to all you twlight lovers). People only like the movie because of the guy that plays edward they don't care about the story.

So I guess vampries don't really change for me.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I like vampires in pretty much any incarnation. I'm a grown woman and I can say this I LOVED Twilight. There's a lot more the book than the movie. Edward by no means treated Bella like she was stupid, fragile yes, because to him she was fragile. He had super human strength and could really hurt or kill her without intending too. I thought the book was very sweet and I'd rather have my teenage daughter reading those books than hooked on that Miley Cyrus skank. Yeah, I said it. Dracula - Frank Langella, Gary Oldman David - Lost Boys Edward Cullen - Twilight Interview with a Vampire I'm down with all of that. I read the book of True Blood, whatever the first book was Dead Before Dark or something. hated it, hated it. Hope I like the show better.

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
Well, lets see. I was just complaining to a friend yesterday that although I love the Twilight books, and thought the movie was good (not great, but good)...what the H-E-DOUBLE-HOCKEY-STICKS good is it to be a Vampire without fangs???? And pumping blood, and biting, and heaving bosoms...oh, sorry...got a little carried away there! :eek: That's the best part. Yes, Edward is CUUUUUTE. And yes, the Cullens are gorgeous, cultured, mysterious, strong, fast, telepathic, etc.etc.etc. But call me crazy, without the danger, where's the fun? :confused: That's why the best part of the movie is when James is pursuing Bella....danger.

I have always been a big fan of Dracula, LeStat, Lost Boys, Carpenter's Vampires. Bram Stoker's Dracula with Gary Oldman is one of my all time favorite films, and I think, one of the most erotic movies I have ever seen. Don't get me wrong, the Twilight series is a great escape read. And I totally agree with Succub'Oz, I'd rather teenage girls be fans of the series than...how did she so elegantly put it: "that Miley Cyrus skank" LOL!! :D

But I never could see the Twilight vamps as real vampires. SOOO...this Halloween when I dress as a vampire (cause that's the theme, and believe me or not it is NOT because of Twilight) I'll have fangs, baby, the better to bite you with!!!;)

·
Clarification: Not A Man
1,186 Posts
Wow...

Well I'll throw in what I think.
I have read the Southern Vampire series (the books True Blood is based off of) and I enjoyed them more than I thought I would. I am not a big fan of vampires and as the years go on I am less and less a fan.
The movies based off Anne Rice's novels are neat, and I'm sure the books are better (haven't read them). Charlaine Harris's novels have some very mature situations and so does the HBO series.

But overall the vampire falls into 3 basic categories: Overly dramatic holier than thou, Kid/tween friendly plays nice but has an attitude, or Blood thirsty completely inhuman monster.
Each has its place and each has been over done to hell and back. There are so many vampire movies, books, merchandise, video games,... its too much.
I'm tired of vampires in the same way people are tired of pirates. There's too many, and not everyone can agree on them.
I have been a vampire for Halloween but as a back up costume when I was invited out and didn't have anything planned.

Honestly there have been so many Good, Bad and Very Bad vampire based things that it kinda over shadows the other monsters.
There are very few good Werewolf, Mummy, and Sea Creature movies, books and media. The only creature that has as much press as the Vampire would be the Zombies.
And when you think of it, Vampires are glorified Zombies.

Vampires should take a break and seat in the back seat for a while but that isn't likely to happen. Werewolves may get a boost from the up coming Wolfman movie, (and a minor push from Twilight, a series I am not a fan of) and other monsters have upcoming remakes and revitalizations I don't think it will compare to the Vampire's popularity.

. . . maybe if there were better costumes that didn't cost an arm and a leg other monsters would be popular too. . . cause lets face it being a vampire is way too easy, its being a creative vampire is what is hard.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts