Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our display includes a pair of outdoor speakers, along with an FM transmitter that the audio is broadcast on. I bought a cool, old cathedral style radio that I like to use as a 3rd speaker for only one particular song.

I’ve gutted the radio and will be putting a small computer speaker inside the radio, add a couple lights for affect too. I’m sure it’s easy enough to add the third speaker. However I only want the audio to go to the third speaker when it plays a particular audio file. The scene will include a skeleton appearing to be listening to the radio and tuning his favorite station in. Ideally this particular song will only play on the radio. Oh it’s an mp3 file played on a laptop run through a receiver.

Am I crazy thinking this might be possible?

Thanks for your kind help.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
There is a way if you have an audio editor. Create new audio files with the tracks for your pair of outdoor speakers on one channel and a new audio file for your "third" speaker on the other channel. Make the appropriate audio out connections from the receiver to the proper speakers. It can also be done with a SPDT relay and some type of controller but it doesn't sound like you're set up that way.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both J-Man & Beaver State Rich. I have Audacity, though I quite the beginner with it. I've used it to change audio file lengths and save a file in a different format. I sure will give it a try.
Tks!

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Keep in mind your "new" audio files will only play on one channel. If the original audio tracks are stereo, (different sounds coming from each channel) you need to convert them to mono BEFORE you save them to the left or right channel. This will ensure that you hear the complete track from just a single channel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts