Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
~zombie hunter~
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe last year at this local profestional Haunted House, a girl litterly fainted and passed out due to the strobe lights. It was a really bad time, the fire truck and the ambulince rushed her to the hospital. (it was in the paper)

SO with that being said, should we post warnings for people about lighting. I'v herd that strobe lights can cause people to have seizures.

·
Clarification: Not A Man
1,187 Posts
i think if multiple strobes or similar lighting effects are used some sort of warning should be in place to keep people safe

the same goes for fog because some people have a terrible reaction to the fake fog and it could hospitalize or even be fatal

if your not sure; a warning could be a good thing just in case.

·
Super Moderator
5,901 Posts
Yes, strobes can be a cause of epileptic seizures.

Most folks with epilepsy know they have it, and typically avoid anyone's haunt just because there might be a strobe light in use, in my experience. However, a "Strobe light in use" sign or something certainly wouldn't hurt.

Personally, I don't use the things because I KNOW for a fact a number of folks coming through have epilepsy, and I've purposely kept it safe for them.

·
~zombie hunter~
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice and comments. A greater is a great idea. I'll be sure to mention all of that. But then again, I'm most likey not doing a walk through the whole house just the front yard. But thanks a billion.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Fog machines, strobe lights, mold, cat dander, loud noises, these are all potential complaints and problems, usually only found if the customers are indoors though.
These can be real problems ...but then again in October some people are drug along to a haunted house and they don't really want to be there.
My haunted house is open every night of the year and problems and problem customers do increase in October for various reasons.
Some disgruntled customers here might be that way because their friend told them how impressive and fantastic my place is (to them, of course) and their friend envisions a place that does gore and Hollywood monsters and strobe lights , ex cetra, along with all the myriad of other commonly found "haunted house" items that are not here, sorry.
I make my own monsters and run my tour the way I think it should be run, trying to mate it to the group's expectations...but I sure do get fearful reactions from a great number of people, then if they laugh about it right afterwards...it's perfect!

·
A Great Pumpkin
3,101 Posts
Not sure if it's law, but for you own liablilty protection you should display at least one sign indicating strobes, flashers, fog &/or sirens are in use.

·
Ubzest
1,249 Posts
my rules sign has all kinds of warnings. lights , fog machines, uneven ground, low ceilings in areas . We also tell them they 'will" get scared, thay we have a high startle haunt. People have told us they have eplipsy before hand, and we just shut off the stobes for them, no probs!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to come up with universal symbols for the warning?
And a key to explain the symbols for easier understanding. For example, some haunts use a number of skulls to stand for the scare factor. Strobes = lightning bolt & so on...

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
My Daughter has had seizures due to CP. So I simply don't use strobes. for most Yard Displays Deb can spot the flashing at a distance before it has a chance to bother her and she simply avoids them. If you are doing a walk through off any kind were people may not be able to see the tell tale flickering in advance a warning of some kind is definitely helpful to folks like her.

Even then though, many people have seizure disorders and don't even know it. Most of us first think of Tonic-Clonic (Grand Mal) Seizures when we think of epilepsy but seizures come in many different forms that are often simply not recognized for what they are.

go here for more info Epilepsy Foundation-Types of Seizures

·
Registered
203 Posts
Stobe lights tigger migraines for me.

That being said, this year I bought one, but I will put it in an area where you will only see part of it, through a crack in the door. That will avoid the full on effect.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
I've never been to one that hasn't had signs saying if you have epilepsy, heart conditions, are pregnant, etc. enter at your own risk. It's all a good idea for liabilty. My brother is epileptic so we always had to be careful about which haunts to go to.

·
Banned
524 Posts
This is a great topic and glad it is being addressed. Safety should always be a number one concern. I know I take every step possible to make my haunt and even Christmas displays safe and plan around it. I usually set things up a set way for a reason to deter people from going to a certain area or making things harder for people to steal, etc.

I don't run a haunted house just a yard haunt so not really anything I can do to post before hand to warn people. They will see it is in use as they approach and then they can use better judgment if they want to continue on. It is definitely something though I can put on my web page for someone who has heard about my haunt from word of mouth and visits the web page. It might come in useful in that sense too. Might be something also could do as well.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I use OSHA signage whenever possible, though I don't think there is one for strobes, so a basic warning sign would need to be made.

·
Haverghast Asylum warden.
801 Posts
Strobe lites are more dangerouse when ran at a hi speed rate. I dry too keep mine at the slowest speed. I think it looks better, and keeps most people from feeling sick. since my whole haunt is lit with only strobes I put a warning It can only help if something happens, it can't hurt.

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
Just had a short talk with my wife who works for OSHA in the VPP program and OSHA says that warning signs have to be "visible and legible" but OSHA itself does not approve or regulate particular images. (IE the nuclear trefoil magenta on yellow is part of NRC Regs not OSHA and OSHA regs simply reference NRC)

As a safety professional she doesn't know of any agency approved symbol for strobe use and says "if in doubt use black block letters on a yellow back ground with a black border" as this is a generally accepted format for a warning sign" Needless to say if you want a formal legal opinion call your nearest OSHA office.

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
Strobe lites are more dangerouse when ran at a hi speed rate. I dry too keep mine at the slowest speed. I think it looks better, and keeps most people from feeling sick. since my whole haunt is lit with only strobes I put a warning It can only help if something happens, it can't hurt.
I think the warning is the important part. To my understanding (which is not that of an MD) we all have a level of brain stimulus we can take and we adrenalin / horror junkies just enjoy being close to that edge in some way. Even as the Parent of a young adult with a Seizure disorder as far as I am concerned as long as you warn my daughter that you are using them the choice to continue is hers, he is not being forced to view the scenes you present. Unfortunately my opinion does not seem to be in the majority in the culture of litigation.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am glad this subject is being addressed. I have been meaning to ask this also. We have not ever used stobe lights in out yard but this year I did purcahse 2 ot the small ones from Target for 2.50 each was gonna put in pumpkin patch but not sure now. We do have a child on my block that has seziures and do not want to make him have to avoid our house that night

1 - 20 of 22 Posts