Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend any good spooky pieces of classical music? I already have Bach's Toccata and Fugue, Saint-Saëns's Danse Macabre, Mussorgsky's Night On Bald Mountain, Grieg's In the Hall of the Mountain King, and Chopin's Funeral March. I know there have to be more out there, and I'm just drawing a blank.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,004 Posts
Most of the ones you've named are great classical music. A few other ideas:

The Sorcerer's Apprentice (Dukas)
March Funebre Des Marionettes - also known as the theme to Alfred Hitchcock Presents television series (Gounod)
Rite Of Spring - Ritual Of Abduction (Stravinsky)
Ride Of The Valkyries (Wagner)
Totentanz (Liszt)
Messa da Requiem: II Dies Irae (Verdi)
Symphonie Fantastique, Op. 14: V. Dream of a Witches' Sabbath (Berlioz)
March of the Gallows (Berlioz)
Carnival of the Animals: VII. Aquarium (Saint-Saëns)

For some more modern yet still classical sounding music: check out the Tangerine Dream soundtrack version for the 1985 movie Legend

For a slightly different flavor, Ravi Shankar's "Twilight Mood" is eerie and quite atmospheric. Many of his works would be lovely for a spooky eastern influence.

And of course anything by Midnight Syndicate - hauntingly beautiful music, with a variety of different themed albums.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Those are some good ones, that I'm kicking myself for no thinking of, and some more I'll have to check out.
Ooo, I didn't think about Ravi Shankar. Good suggestion!
I love the TG Legend soundtrack! Midnight Syndicate is also good. I've heard the work they've done with Destini Beard; I'll need to get some of their solo work. Other good spooky atmospheric instruments music I like is Paul Mercer (he's worked with Jill Tracy!) and Adam Hurst. I think they'd both go well with Midnight Syndicate.

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
I like a lot of horror movie soundtracks. Here are some of my favorites, which may work for you :

"The Ring/ Ring2" ost-by Hans Zimmer

"The Uninvited" ost-by Christopher Young

"Shutter" ost- by Nathan Barr

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
Another soundtrack has a few tracks that may fit your theme:

"Silent Hill 2" ost-by Akira Yamakota. Check out "Promise (Reprise)", "Laura Plays The Piano", and "Theme of Laura (Reprise)" in particular.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Good suggestions, Frankie's Girl. I'd echo everything you said and also add Liszt's Faust Symphony and some of the stuff he wrote when he was older, when frankly he started writing some weirder, sparser music. Don't know if you're looking for any solo piano music Theda, but you might like Liszt's Csárdás Macabre and Prokofiev's Suggestion Diabolique.

Oh, and the only thing I'd disagree with is I'd recommend the Goldsmith score to Legend :D

·
Registered
575 Posts
Thanks, everyone!
Forhekset, I think it's just that I grew up watching the TD Legend that I could never get into the Goldsmith score. I've tried, but it's just all wrong. :eek:
And Pumpkinhead, I adore Lindsey Stirling's Phantom! So good.
I know what you mean - my wife is from Sweden, so for her, the Goldsmith version is the "real" score because that's the one she grew up with. Me personally, I never saw Legend as a kid, so I never had any strong nostalgic feelings for one or the other.

Speaking of Goldsmith, I've always loved the main title to Alien (although this wasn't what he originally wrote).

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Isle of the Dead (Rachmaninoff)
"O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana (Orff)
Devil's Dance (John Williams)

Many of the key tracks mentioned in the early posts are available on the compilation "Fright Night: Music that Goes Bump in the Night," recorded by the Philadelphia and Cleveland Orchestras.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Regarding the "Friday Night: Music that Goes Bump in the Night" compilation, I should mention that there are two version. The one I referenced by the Philadelphia and Cleveland Orchestras, available from Amazon, has fewer tracks. The version available from iTunes, recorded by the Boston Pops and Cleveland Orchestras, has twice the number of tracks and is a better bargain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts