Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeking host org & charity in Raleigh, NC / Wake Co. for charty iHaunted Attraction

I'm actively seeking a hosting org, one that can provide resources, volunteers, and most importantly, seasonal access to a Show Building, and a deserving secular, non-partisan beneficiary charity that could use a good fundraiser; and be open to an annual Haunted Attraction fundraising event in the Raleigh, North Carolina area.

I'm too old to join the Jaycees (early 40's), but I've heard the Durham, NC Jaycees have run a charity Haunted Attraction for 40 years. Wow, I had absolutely no idea. I have fond memories as a kid growing up in Massachusetts, attending a no gore, no guts, minimal startle Haunted House run by the Jaycees. It was something I always looked forward too--and still remember some cool effects they had today! It was co-located, smartly, at the State Fairgrounds. Wonder if I could obtain access to an expo building, off-season, at the North Carolina State Fairgrounds here in Raleigh. Anyone with connections / ideas on how to make that happen? So much could be done with good interior space.

I'll also be recruiting volunteers of all kinds--even virtual volunteers from across the state--for any number of tasks. My guess is that it could take a whole year, possibly more, to get a charity Haunted Attraction established, inspected, up to code, and ready to go for guests.

Finally think I've found a way to marry my passion for Halloween with my desire to volunteer and give something back to the community and/or a good national deserving cause. Can't imagine there aren't charities who need more funds. The only issue I could see is an ideological bias against such a thing due to local beliefs about Halloween as a holiday. But if they're doing it in Durham (but that could be RTP--an area with the highest density of PhDs in the nation and a lot more cosmopolitan than my neck of the State). Lots of engineers who like to tinker. :)

Anyway, please PM me, possibly with an email address too. As I'll be assembling a mailing list of interested parties / potential volunteers. Again, so many ways to contribute--from an advisory role, financial / budget, scene design ideas, scene / set construction, prop ideas, prop builds, stagecraft, filmmakers / videographers / editors (wouldn't it be great to create a Documentary of establishing a charity haunt from concept to opening night?), makeup, staffing the haunt itself--actors, crowd control, cashiers. Probably a dozen or so more roles I'm missing off the top of my head. Lots of work and very ambitious. But if there's a niche waiting to be filled in this area that brings local haunters together, and does something really meaningful for a good local cause--like a Children's Hospital, Animal Shelter, etc--so many good charities--that would be great.

Will need lots of help. I'm collecting "Souls" for my mission; thinking of that cool Pirates of the Caribbean pinball machine--anyone who's played it will known what I mean). So again, you may post ideas / suggestions here. But if you'd like to be more involved as a volunteer in any capacity--or think you only *might* be interested, please PM me an email address.

Please also pass on to friends and family who either know anyone who may want to volunteer, and / or has connections with a hosting org and / or charity open to the idea of a charity Haunted Attraction fundraising event. I'd prefer it to be no gore, no guts, kid and family friendly--e.g. lots of spooky atmosphere and illusions / effects like Disney's Haunted Mansion. Let the Commercial Haunted Attractions bloody things up. On the other hand, if gore is what it requires to maximize the Take / funds for the benefiting Charity, I'm not opposed to that.

I personally have never liked lots of actors-staking-guests-with-chainsaws. But that's just a personal dislike and bias; not a judgment of any kind. Thinking a more family / kid friendly Haunt would be more appropriate to the local culture here. Could also make the Haunt more attractive to a hosting org and or charity requiring a great annual fundraiser.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The search continues

Any suggestions on a Raleigh-area charity who could use an annual Haunted Attraction fundraiser and/or a non-partisan, secular Hosting Org for this type of fundraiser?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Still thinking about this???

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've put it on the back-burner, getting involved in a less complicated volunteer effort. But I still think about it. Thanks for asking. But nothing going on for now. No clear sponsors or hosts. Was considering volunteering labor to the Durham Jaycees' haunted charity attraction to learn the ropes--but it seems they've ceased operations.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Well I hope you find something good and if you do, please let me know. I might be able to help. I have a pretty good Halloween magic show for kids and families. [email protected] Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts