Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Everybody.

I’ve been checking out cauldron creep videos. Some of their motors seem to make quite a bit of noise - especially when they’ve been slowed down to an appropriate speed (I’m guessing around 15 to 20 RPM). Also. I’ve no idea how much torque I’ll need.

Any recommendations for a relatively quiet geatmotor solution with plenty of torque and which isn’t terribly expensive (say, under $75) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,970 Posts
I've always used wiper motor and none of them have been overly noisy, at least not out in the open yard on display. Wipers sound like holy hell up close or inside where there is no background noise, but once out in an open yard with natural background noise (birds, crickets, traffic, wind etc.) you don't notice it that much, especially if you are running haunt sounds too. Also, the lighter the load you can put on it, the quieter it will run. Use a higher amp power supply too. I've started using 12v 10A as much as I can. It really helps to cut down on motor whine.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Some can be pretty loud, but if you have some ambient sounds going on, you'll never hear it. the setup i have is fairly quiet. I think it may be the quality of wiper motor too, possibly. The FrightProps motors I use do seem quieter than the Monster Guts motor that my dad uses when its slowed down.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I also used a wiper motor in mine along with a $5 PWM control from ebay, not noisy at all running about 10 rpm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much for the helpful advice! I plan to have my creeper talking occasionally, which should help mask the motor noise.

Are there web sites where spooky sound files (e.g. MP3) can be downloaded - such as a bubbling cauldron?

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts