Halloween Forum banner

Security walkie talkie with running soundtrack

Atmosphere Effects: 
2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Mojave 
#1 ·
So I just came up with a cool idea for a prop but it will require a lot of prep work on my part.

My home haunt is based on the idea that we are the ground level entrance for a large underground zombie research center. I thought it would be really cool to have a walkie talkie sitting next to me with the sounds of an outbreak occurring within the facility. Basically it would be radio chatter from the security teams as they try to contain the situation as it gets worse and worse. Included would be the sounds of gunfire as things go completely haywire.

This would be on say the left channel of a stereo recording. This channel would be piped into the walkies speaker. The right channel would be connected to an out of sight speaker and would have an alarm with a human voice indicating biological contamination on each level as the outbreak grows.

Im thinking maybe a 10 to 15 minute recording. I would still have to write the script.

My problem is that I cant very well do all the various voices. Anybody interested in being a part of my haunt? If I can get some volunteers, once I get the script written, I could send you a few lines. You would then record them as a WAV file and email them to me and I could try and tie everything together.

Just for fun, the character names would be pulled from the _______ of the dead films.

I would love to get a female voice for the alarm recording. Security teams could be male of female.

I dont even know if I could have it ready in time for this year but, if not, I would have an entire year to really work the bugs out.

Thoughts?

Volunteers?

Sugestions?

Should I be confined to a rubber room?

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Grey Lady. I thought it sounded like a nice addition to my setup. I scored a non functioning radio today that I have already gutted so I can wire up the speaker.

Kinda disappointed there wasn't more interest in my idea here but I guess folks are a bit tired of the whole zombie thing. Maybe I will float the idea in the music section and see if anybody is willing to help.

#5 ·
It does sound like a great idea - very nice touch to add to your scene. May be a lack of response due to this final week of preparation. You mentioned using some of the _______ of the dead films which is a great idea for script. Maybe pull some actual recordings of the movie(s) this year and personalize it for next year with more time to tweak it? This might help :

http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Night_of_the_Living_Dead

#7 ·
I did something similar a few years back. I dressed up my SUV with an old satellite dish, a flashing yellow light from ebay, etc.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Transport Automotive exterior

For the radio-chatter affect, I grabbed audio from several video game sources and created a CD that I simply played through the CD player. I was careful not to use any "real" voices from videos or documentaries - I think mostly from Call of Duty, Black Ops, etc. A few from some weird audio recordings pulled from odd youtube videos but again, nothing from the real world.

Feel free to use this track if it's helpful:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10266534/Zombie Emergency Response Vehicle Radio Chatter.mp3

#8 ·
There is a nice selection of voice actors on fiverr.com that could fulfill your needs. $5 a pop and they will record your script. Most offer "enhancements" for additional fees, but I doubt you would need that for your prop. Some are really, really good radio dj quality, some are truly bad and some do some spot on celebrity voices. Run them thru the free audio program Audacity to give them a distorted or "tinny" sound of a portable radio.

#10 ·
I did something similar using "Garage Band" software that comes with the Apple macintosh notebooks. I had a 'zombie command center' who was in touch with several roving teams. The teams reported in various zombie attacks and firefights, using the local street names of our neighborhood. The teams die, the command center gets overrun, airstrike is called in, etc.

With garage band, you can 'layer' sounds very easily. So I had machine gun sound effects, other guns, wind, explosions, zombie moans. You can also do tons of effects on your voice; slide the pitch up and down, make it sound like it's a radio, etc. Throw in some accents (southern, british, russian, etc) and nobody will know its you. I did about an 8 minute recording, then just set it on repeat in an iPod/iPhone player.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.