Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about cameras yet but wanted to know what is the best way to record? Do you use dvd or tapes or is there another item out there that can be used over and over and holds several hours worth of footage?

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
D'oh! Edited to say, "Ignore everything I've said if you're going to use a web-cam...I was thinking camera's other than webcams"

What is the main application for your security cameras?
Will they be almost exclusively for security purposes - evidence to provide to police if your haunt / yard is vandalized or stolen from?
If that's the case, you'll probably be fine with VHS tapes...recorders are cheap, tapes still exist, and you can record many hours on a single tape.

If you're looking for fun footage to use in videos, or a whimsical but scary montage of your haunt and the people enjoying / screaming in it, you'll want some way of recording to a digital format, so you can then transfer it easily to your computer for editing.
A DVD burning deck (with standard RCA style AV jacks) may allow you to burn your video to DVD...you'll get a few hours of video on each disk - just make certain you have some DVD ripping software so you can edit the video on your computer.
A DVR may be another choice, but be certain you can load the video from the deck to your computer.

Yet another choice is to upgrade your video card on your computer, to one that has AV jacks (usually RCA and S-Video, some have co-axial...many now come with HDMI jacks as well).
This would allow you to record your video on your computer - the only limit to recording time in that case is your memory capacity, and then the video is readily available on your computer, hopefully in a format you can easily edit.

Just a note on the security cameras: if you're going to go with wireless security cameras, check the frequency they're broadcasting on - they may be using a frequency that's very close to the same frequency a lot of WiFi networks run on...
I say this as a Tuesday morning quarterback...I have a couple great wireless camera's...that completely wreck my wireless network when they're working...stomp all over it, and no one can use it.
So, I resort to a single, wired camera.
Live and learn.

·
~zombie hunter~
3,346 Posts
I'd stick with dvd's. they make out a better picture these days and you can make as many copys as you want if need be.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Depending how many cameras you want to run should dictate somewhat what you want to do.

We run 5 here now, using the video cards I offer here:
Minions Web
That records 4 camera at a full 30pfs (total 120fps system per card) and uses system sound card mic jack for audio (one channel) normally but I use a 8 channel stereo audio card

Plus a swann card I bought pretty cheap (supports 4 cams but shares 30fps so each would have 7.5fps for real crappy stop motion!) that can use the system audio in.

Now if you want more than 1 sound source, you can pick up multichannel sound cards ( I do not carry them)

If you plan on shooting in the dark, be sure to use the IR sensitive cameras like the ones here:
Minions Web

If you want more illumination for the cameras to capture more detail in the dark, simply add one of the IR bulbs we offer here:
Minions Web

I use this set up, and it rocks. Everything is recorded to hard drives, they can do motion sensing, feed to internet etc. - very slick.

Since it records to the hard drive you can burn off vids in whatever medium you please.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all! We had our first theft on my street this week(neighbors only) and I have been wondering and worrying just exactly what goes on out there at night so I was going to record but after thinking more about it I want to know when someone's out there and catch them in the act so I need to think more of an alarm/sensor type system. Recording will be an added bonus as I tape myself whacking them with a ballbat : )

·
Registered
480 Posts
Gorey -
I've wanted to set up a webcam for my haunt just for fun, but my neighborhood has had a recent rash of property crime so I am beginning to think about security for my haunt as well. I have a small front yard to watch (about 25 x 40 feet), wireless network, and a spare PC that could be dedicated to running software and recording video. I'd want to have a camera that works at night in low lighting. Would your system work for me? What would you recommend?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Reviving this link, since I didn't get around to setting up a camera last year. Anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to keep the cost under $100 if I can, but I'm open to something easy and elegant that costs a little more. I'd love to have a live webcam on Halloween, security is only a secondary goal.

·
cheap and easy
2,294 Posts
Reviving this link, since I didn't get around to setting up a camera last year. Anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to keep the cost under $100 if I can, but I'm open to something easy and elegant that costs a little more. I'd love to have a live webcam on Halloween, security is only a secondary goal.
Keep an eye on this auction site for something in your area You can find some very good deals. I didn't see anything in the Atlanta area right now but you can pick up some good deals like the one below, that sold on Tuesday (6-1). http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.AdvSearch

Sold Amount: $125.00
This lot contains 6 Mobile Vision VHS in car camera units. Each unit will have a video camera, monitor and VHS recorder. Three of the units are equipped with wireless remote microphones. These units were being used when taken out of service

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Gov. auction items R good!

When the Savanna Army Depot closed I heard they sold some video surveilence cameras that had incredible lines of resolution. They were black& white tvs/cameras but were sensitive enough to see a mere wisp of smoke from maybe 80 feet away.
This "smoke" they were looking for might be eminating from ammunition stored in one of their 375 underground bunkers.
Only one bunker ever exploded in all of the years the place was open, that explosion broke windows here over 20 miles away, cross-country.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts