Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I have no idea if I'm going to join but I say keep it the same as usual. By the time packages get to their victims, if by some chance an object inside has Covid-19 on it , it will most likely be dead by the time the package gets there. I get packages just about everyday from Amazon ect.
I think it will be safe.
Of course if someone finds out they are Covid positive during this time they should probably drop out.

·
Registered
818 Posts
It's getting that time of year again when we start thinking of the sign ups for the Main reaper,, it usually starts sign ups in July. I am just curious about opinions about keeping the status quo and plan on doing reaper as usual. let me know about your ideas on it. As for me I think we ought to keep it the same but am open to others thoughts!!!
I'm ready for a happy distraction & in favor of keeping it the same as always!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I say keep it going, a little normality is needed during these times, however, I would love to join SR again this year. I had so much fun last year. However, I lost my job just as coved start and being out of a job, I just can’t afford too. And to top that, we’ ll be buying a modular home, and some land, but won’t be in it until Xmas time, and so we will be living in a fifth wheel camper for a while. I am sorry that someone won’t be able to get a woodworking project from me this year.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I say keep it going, a little normality is needed during these times, however, I would love to join SR again this year. I had so much fun last year. However, I lost my job just as coved start and being out of a job, I just can’t afford too. And to top that, we’ ll be buying a modular home, and some land, but won’t be in it until Xmas time, and so we will be living in a fifth wheel camper for a while. I am sorry that someone won’t be able to get a woodworking project from me this year.
Congrats on the upcoming move. I’m sorry about your job. Here’s hoping something better comes along. I have found that it often happens that way.

I’m also sorry you won’t be able to do SR though. I love my wonderful runes and box. They are on display year-round in my living room and get frequent use. Every time I see them I’m reminded of you and appreciate how special they are. I was so lucky to be one of your victims. Thank you! ! Looking forward to next year when you can join again!

·
Registered
656 Posts
I had been thinking about/wondering what to do about Secret Reaper. Was so happy to find this thread. My husband is very high risk so we have had to take extra precautions and been feeling pretty isolated. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that somehow we will be able to do our normal in person SR crafting weekend with Spookerstar but even if we have to be apart I am still in!! Like others have said...we get deliveries pretty much daily and everyone can self select if it is right for them to participate. Very much hoping we still have it and keep it the same! Thanks for looking out for us and for always hosting an amazing SR bethene! Looking forward to i!

·
Registered
656 Posts
My Halloween mania usually starts kicking in around February once I have recovered from the holidays but have been so busy/distracted this year...getting on the forum yesterday and seeing the SR thread has kicked me into full Halloween mode/craze! I need my victim now!!! :) I may start some prep crafting next weekend while I wait to see what specifics my victim this year likes!! I spent the day roaming the forum and exploring home haunts/links/photo etc. Its my first real day off in over a month and I feel reinvigorated! Thanks forum family!

·
Reaper Queen
8,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
whoo hoo!!! I love the early interest!!!! Can't wait !

death rises again: I'm sorry you can't join! I'm sorry about your job... but it will be nice when you get into your new home!!! Maybe next year! You did such nice work for folks!!!!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Sorry to be coming late to the game, but here's a bit of science to round out the conversation. :) The important thing to remember about most secret reapers is that we will be mailing out items to our victims. Take the slowest possible routing and things should be just fine. We have a house of at risk folks and we will be standing in line to become reapers this year. Covid-19 is not a particularly hearty virus outside of a human body. It dies in under three days on most surfaces, sooner on some. A recent study found that the COVID-19 coronavirus can survive up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard, and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel.

Remember, this is a respiratory virus similar to the flu. We didn't stop mailing and receiving packages as reapers and victims last year during in the middle of flu season. We should follow that same logic for the virus that causes COVID-19. Do your best to prepare your packages as cleanly as possible. Mail them using regular mail or other slower forms of transport just to be a bit safer.

If you're apprehensive about being a victim, take precautions when you get your gifts. When it arrives, take your reaper's gift box outside under cover and leave it there for a week. Come in, wash your hands, and try to be patient. Jump on the computer and tell your reaper the package arrived. Let them know that you will open it just as soon as the bomb squad can schedule an unboxing appointment. (This will let your reaper know that you understand the nature of reaper gifts, and are doing everything you need to do to keep you and your neighbors safe.) In a week, open the box and look with delight at your gifts. Be thrilled at what you have received, and return to your computer to thank your reaper. Easy Peasy. :)

There are real threats from the virus out there. But mailing packages to each other isn't really one of them. As so many have mentioned, this is one way to add a bit of normalcy to a very difficult time. We look forward to it.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,670 Posts
I think leaving it the same would be fine, as things sit, right now.

As others have said, even if a person had the virus, didn't know it, and sent out a box, the virus generally dies within days. Just don't ask for overnight delivery or anything...let it go through the mail a few days, at least. (If you DO have the virus while in the middle of making or sending your box, I would refrain from working on it, handling it, being near it, until you are better and everything has had time to decontaminate...just to be safe. If you got sick during it and it was too late to drop out, I'm sure your victim would understand if they had to get their gifts late. I'd rather get my box a month late than get Covid! I'm slightly higher risk. If someone had to drop out due to contracting Covid, I'm sure it would be a very acceptable excuse, as well, and a Rescue Reaper could always jump in, or a last minute switch, ect. I would worry more about my Reaper's health than my box, for sure.)

For anyone who wants to join but is a little worried or is high risk, just keep your hands clean as possible and try to not touch your face while working on your projects/buying things, don't cough or sneeze on gifts, lol, you could even wear a mask while working on it if you really wanted, as others have mentioned...the same as anything else, right now. Same for when you receive your package...maybe let it sit an extra day or two before opening, don't touch your face when opening and going through your gifts, wash your hands after, ect. Again, I'm pretty sure the virus would be gone by the time we got our packages, anyway, so there probably isn't much to worry about. If in doubt, Lysol?

The main scenario that would be a problem is when someone randomly gets a Victim who lives close enough to hand deliver their box...that might not be the best idea, right now...

As for me, it's too early for me to say if I can join or not...which is fine, since it's not sign up time, yet. We still have about a month, I believe? I was, sadly, permanently laid off back in March due to the virus. I was barely working, as it was, due to my MS, which made doing SR difficult in the past few years...but with zero paycheck, now, that makes it even harder. To make matters much worse, my husband just got temporarily laid off for the Summer, until September, just a few days ago, due to the virus. So, we are both without jobs and income, atm. I have been trying to get disability...which is a long, difficult task...and my husband just filed for unemployment and is waiting to hear back about that. If I was asked to sign up, today, I'd have to say no.

I usually still try to hang out in Bethene's bushes, though, supply the blankets, pillows and string lights for our blanket bush tents, bring my yummy baked goods, aaaand try to not get pushed in the pool...yeah, you know who you are...

I would imagine the whole virus thing could change the way we hang out and "list stalk" at her house, though...bethene will have to mark "X"s six feet apart everywhere, we will all need some Halloween printed masks to wear, which I could sew a bunch up...wait...can Ninja Gerbils get Covid? Do I need to make tiny, itsy bitsy masks for them, too??? What about the Flying Monkeys? What about bethene's cats??? I read cats can actually get Covid. I guess they will need masks, too...oh boy...
How will we handle the bar situation?!?

·
Registered
656 Posts
WitchyKitty I am so sorry to hear about the rough challenges you have been experiencing both with COVID layoffs and before! You bring up excellent points about if someone got COVID during the reaper time and agree would have no problem (be grateful) if that person chose to withdraw or hold off. I think there may be less people than normal who join this year as people have to make difficult choices based on lost income. I love that even if you can't join in the reaping that you will still join us for the stalking/tortuous waiting in bethene's shrubs. It would not be the same without you! Good work starting on distancing plans to make it work. We can probably still serve drinks but everyone needs to bring their own glass and blanket this year. I am going to get there early to get an X close to the action but a little further from the pool this year. I don't know how there was any water left last year with how many people were tossed in. I got gerbil treats this year in hopes of bribing them from pranking me this year. I will make sure they are individually packaged and not touched for three days before my arrival! Can't wait for the fun to begin!

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,670 Posts
Thanks, Witchful Thinking. Right now is a very scary time. It's hard to not sit and constantly worry about what is going to happen, what our financial situation will be, ect.

Joining or not, I can never resist the fun of hanging out in bethene's bushes with everyone!

Gerbil treats! Great idea!!!
We will probably need cat treats, too!

I end up in the pool more than I am in the bushes, it seems...

Yeah, you're right...everyone should probably bring their own blankets and pillows, this year...I'm still stringing the lights, though!!!!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
As I said in an earlier post I am all for doing the normal SR, but I thought maybe to make it easier and less expensive for people, and given the uncertainty in what the shopping situation may be, maybe this year we don't buy our Reaper gifts but give from our own collections or repurpose stuff we already have? The only expense would then be for shipping, which I know can be a hardship in itself, but could still help some members participate.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
As I said in an earlier post I am all for doing the normal SR, but I thought maybe to make it easier and less expensive for people, and given the uncertainty in what the shopping situation may be, maybe this year we don't buy our Reaper gifts but give from our own collections or repurpose stuff we already have? The only expense would then be for shipping, which I know can be a hardship in itself, but could still help some members participate.
I might have read the guidelines wrong, but it was always my impression that the gifting was essentially to be worth around $20 give or take. That could be something bought from the store, something created by the reaper, or something regifted of the proper value. Those who get us as a reaper will find most likely they get stuff we make or things we found at garage sales. Nowadays twenty bucks just doesn't go very far, but we can make free foam and garage sale doodads into all sorts of things worth far more.

In the end, we really don't think it matters what arrives on our doorstep. We will be thrilled that the spirit of the Secret Reaper lives on. It's never about the gifts to us, it's about the thought. And so many folk here at Halloween Forum have the most delightfully twisted thoughts. The things we see others make amazes and thrills us. We hope that whoever gets us as their victim knows that we are more than happy to receive a gift that has never seen the inside of a store. :)

Oh... and just as an aside, I wish there was a "that sucks" button to press when one of us has bad news. It would let us let them know that we read their post and simply have no words to say how sorry we are for their situation and how much we hope it gets better. WitchyKitty is one of so many that we see online here struggling with a situation they don't deserve, but are struggling with none the less. We certainly can't press the "like" button after reading the news, but there's no option we can press to say they are in our thoughts even if we can do little more.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,670 Posts
I might have read the guidelines wrong, but it was always my impression that the gifting was essentially to be worth around $20 give or take. That could be something bought from the store, something created by the reaper, or something regifted of the proper value. Those who get us as a reaper will find most likely they get stuff we make or things we found at garage sales. Nowadays twenty bucks just doesn't go very far, but we can make free foam and garage sale doodads into all sorts of things worth far more.

In the end, we really don't think it matters what arrives on our doorstep. We will be thrilled that the spirit of the Secret Reaper lives on. It's never about the gifts to us, it's about the thought. And so many folk here at Halloween Forum have the most delightfully twisted thoughts. The things we see others make amazes and thrills us. We hope that whoever gets us as their victim knows that we are more than happy to receive a gift that has never seen the inside of a store. :)

Oh... and just as an aside, I wish there was a "that sucks" button to press when one of us has bad news. It would let us let them know that we read their post and simply have no words to say how sorry we are for their situation and how much we hope it gets better. WitchyKitty is one of so many that we see online here struggling with a situation they don't deserve, but are struggling with none the less. We certainly can't press the "like" button after reading the news, but there's no option we can press to say they are in our thoughts even if we can do little more.
Thank you, chubstuff, your words and thoughts mean a lot to me. I love that we have such kind, thoughtful members in this forum.
I can understand not wanting to "like" my post...we really do need more options, lol.

As for the types of gifts sent, I have never been disappointed in a reaping I have received, so far. Store bought, thrift find, hand made, things my reaper gave to me from their own decor that they no longer need...it's all good to me if it's items I would like!

21 - 40 of 60 Posts