Halloween Forum banner

Second scarecrow mask attempt

20K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  FirstSpartan 
#1 ·
Here's my second attempt at mask making. I tried a couple new techniques to make the gums and set the teeth, also had a bit of a learning curve with which paints to use but I think I'm headed in the right direction now. Very comfortable (if a little bit scratchy from the burlap inside, but I think I have a solution for that in the next mask). Going to be putting this up for auction at some point as I'm starting another to work on improving the designs and techniques.

Any constructive criticism out there on this one? I welcome the comments, I may not take your advice but I'd love to hear what you'd like to see different or some glaring mistake I haven't noticed...lol

Sculpture Head Art Jaw Headgear
Clothing Sculpture Headgear Beige Art
Sculpture Art Carving Nonbuilding structure Jaw

See less See more
#5 ·
I have tried this in the past and have not been able to get the burlap rigid enough in its final place. Can you offer any suggestions? I used shellac (too flakey) and other "stiffeners".

Also, do you use wire frames at all and/or multiple layers of burlap?

#8 ·
ok, I'll spill all my secrets....but not tonight, lol. This weekend I'll get some pics up and share what I've learned so far. I know how !@#$ frustrating it is trying to find how-to info on how to make these masks as there's NOTHING out there. Almost everything I've had to figure out myself or deduce from little bits of info here and there.

So far I have a pretty solid design I believe although I'm working hard at making it more comfortable as the burlap can be itchy to some people. Right now I'm playing with a felt liner on the inside on the current mask I"m making but I did run across some cotton style burlap which is very soft that I'll try on the next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.