Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a full size toe-pincher that uses a vent motor to open and close the lid. I've struggled with it for a few years because the vent motor barely has enough power to open and close it, and frequently the gears will pop. I know it is only a matter of time. So I realized I had the tracks to a 99 mustang power seat in my shed, and I ripped the motors out a few days ago. These things have tons of torque and are slow which is perfect. The problem is the shaft uses a very small square insert to drive the mechanism, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to connect that shaft to the linkage or even make something new. The good news it is the exact same size as a square drive bit. I realized I could use drill bit stops to make a flange but that's all I've come up with. I need a magic tool to drill a square hole into the steel arm....

The motor shaft is female, and each motor has a ~2" square shaft that slides into the motor shaft, so a female or male square drive receptacle would work.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Can't help you with the square shaft problem but an easy fix for your current setup is to install an automotive trunk or hood gas cylinder in the coffin to lessen the load on the vent motor. They come in a variety of sizes and tension, get one that will allow the lid to close under it's own weight.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I need to try that too. Trying to do this with what I have on hand and from my experience replacing those in various vehicles they aren't cheap. Thanks for the reminder though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update: I was able to tap and thread the shaft pretty easily, and then just used a machine screw with a locking nut to squeeze the lever. Added one of those cheap PWMs and will probably get it mounted up tonight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts