Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well -- I'm having trouble deciding on a theme this year and I know there is a thread on this site somewhere with everyone's themes ideas. Anyone know which one I'm talking about?

I do event planning and do masquerades, pirates, egyptian and other themed events throughout the year so I try to focus on something 'haunted house' related. I have occasionally worked in a few of those elements but I am really looking for a theme that would be centered around a haunted house.

Theme's we've done:

Vampire
Frankenstien Lab
Trapped in a Haunted House
Haunted House for Sale -- Hosted by Sweeney Todd & Mrs. Lovett
Scary Movies
Murder Mystery
Zombies

Love to hear any ideas.

·
Shadow Crosser
741 Posts
How about a theme involving a Witch. You could do multiple areas, the fireplace/cauldron area. (easy ideas here for that area.) A witches living room, complete with scrying mirror (instead of a TV). A scrying mirrors guide to programming (tee hee), books with weird titles like "101 uses for Eye of Newt". I see an old rocking chair and a small battered footstool. the old patch work, twisted rugs. Small animals in hanging cages. Lots of candles, spiders and webs, old scarves...anything old and battered.

Witches have their familiars and it doesn't always have to be a black cat, it could be an owl, crow etc. So the more animals the better (I've got a lot of fake animals; owl, several fake ravens and black birds, a Giant rat, a black cat, etc.)

You could probably steal some good ideas from Harry Potter. Like have a door open on a brick wall (and if you are really talented have it be a real doorway the next time it is opened). Lots of crooked / off center stuff.

If you are doing it in the home I can see lots of stuff for each room a guest might have access to.

Boy, the bathroom might be fun. Have the bath full of rubber frogs and some old bottles with Witches bath salts labels. Again lots of candles. A recording playing of frogs crocking.

The kitchen...bottles and jars (see threads here on how to's). Bundles of sticks, dried flowers, herbs bundled together and hanging from the ceiling like they are being dried. Cutting board with "interesting" things being chopped. If it's not too hard to do, remove the upper cabinet doors and use "stressed" cheese cloth in the gray/dirty colors as the shelf liners with it hanging out. Chipped old dishes and odd glasses, bugs everywhere (fake flies and cockroaches). Old pots (that you never intend to ever use) with grungy stuff inside. Like the spray foam or any other substance that will dry. Or just dirty water and maybe one of those fountain/bowl misters. Get some cheap hand towels (white), personalize them with the name of your Witch like "Zelda's Hot Spot" and stain/dirty them up, maybe fray the edges. Make something gross looking with Papermache and put it in a turkey pan in the oven. (if it's windowed, turn the over light on and leave it. Lots of fall vines ($ stores!)

I may just have to do this theme now that I'm thinking about it. Go all out everywhere with a witch in mind.

Anyway...just another idea.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
How about 'and then there were none' theme? That would work well with a haunted house.

MsM

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How about 'and then there were none' theme? That would work well with a haunted house.

MsM
MsM -- you've peeked my curiosity. I don't think I've ever thought of that theme. Any ideas on how to do a 'and then there were none' theme.

Elza -- thanks for the great witch theme suggestions and the great ideas!!!

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
MsM -- you've peeked my curiosity. I don't think I've ever thought of that theme. Any ideas on how to do a 'and then there were none' theme.

Elza -- thanks for the great witch theme suggestions and the great ideas!!!
Well you mentioned a murder mystery and a haunted house.
I take it you are familiar with the Agatha Christie story. If not, here's a link:

And Then There Were None - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The way I see it.....your guests are invited for a carefree evening at your haunted house. They then start dropping off one by one. They start becoming suspicious of each other and paranoid. Perhaps even thinking they know who the killer is and begin killing each other. Last one standing wins :) Or the one who figures out who the murderer is wins.
You can use and change(for a more halloween feeling) the poem to give them clues as to what murder will take place next.

Ten little Soldier boys went out to dine;
One choked his little self and then there were nine.
Nine little Soldier boys sat up very late;
One overslept himself and then there were eight.
Eight little Soldier boys traveling in Devon;
One said he'd stay there and then there were seven.
Seven little Soldier boys chopping up sticks;
One chopped himself in halves and then there were six.
Six little Soldier boys playing with a hive;
A bumblebee stung one and then there were five.
Five little Soldier boys going in for law;
One got into Chancery and then there were four.
Four little Soldier boys going out to sea;
A red herring swallowed one and then there were three.
Three little Soldier boys walking in the zoo;
A big bear hugged one and then there were two.
Two Little Soldier boys sitting in the sun;
One got frizzled up and then there was one.[7]
One little Soldier boy left all alone;
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none.

Hopefully other members will chime in with ideas on how to work it out further and change the poem. I'm really bad with rhyming lol

MsM

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MsM -- We have played a variation of the murder games through the years but I never heard it call 'and than there were one' -- it was a big hit! Never used the poem before. Love it!

·
Shadow Crosser
741 Posts
B-Scary...I just posted a thread about Edgar Allan Poe..It has a link to info on his mysterious death and i thought what a great theme and promptly thought of you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts