Halloween Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We want to build a rocking chair that rocks on its own. Triggering it is not a problem. We will hack the Harbor Freight Tools battery operated wireless driveway alerts to trigger the motor.

I am thinking of putting a small motor under the seat, with an offset weight, so the chair will rock forward and backward as the weight shifts across the center line in a rotational pattern.

Any suggestions?

Joe

·
Registered
Dystopian CyberTech
135 Posts
We want to build a rocking chair that rocks on its own. Triggering it is not a problem. We will hack the Harbor Freight Tools battery operated wireless driveway alerts to trigger the motor.

I am thinking of putting a small motor under the seat, with an offset weight, so the chair will rock forward and backward as the weight shifts across the center line in a rotational pattern.

Any suggestions?

Joe
Metal geared 1/10 scale hobby servo and fishing line?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I reasoned that a weight that is off center and rotating at the correct speed will work with the natural rocking motion of the chair. Think of a ceiling fan with only ONE blade on it. If it rotates at the correct speed, the rocking motion would not require much weight at all, to keep it moving. I figured I could route out a pocket in the chair seat, put the device inside and cover it with a door skin cut to shape. A visual inspection of the chair would not reveal the rotating off balance weight inside of the wooden pocket.

Joe...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts