Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I too am making a pumpkin head scarecrow, inspired by so many of you. I have started sculpting a face on a large foam pumpkin. Then I have used plaster tape (Rigid Wrap) to cover it. So far it looks great but how can I seal plaster tape?

·
Registered
543 Posts
To protect the foam pumpkin I think you would need to use a non-aerosol acrylic clear coat or medium. You could use an air brush/gun to apply it though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's actually the plaster part I'm worried about. Has anyone successfully waterproofed Rigid Wrap? It was so much easier and faster than paper mache.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pumpkin is not a carvable pumpkin, it's a large decorative one from Michael's. It has a hard, very thin plastic shell all around that I'm covering partially with the plaster. The only foam that will be exposed will be the mouth I cut into. The rest will be the plastic or plaster tape.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I used rigid wrap years ago to make a rock that a spider leaps out of and I coated it thouroughly with exterior latex paint and I have never had a problem with it. It has been at least 7 or 8 years since I did it and it's been rained/snowed upon in that time and thus far...still good.
I can't give you a gurantee, but it worked for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok it's painted now. This is my first homemade prop and I think it came out pretty well. Now I just need to build my scarecrow body and it's set to go.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, when I show any projects to people here, the usual response is " Wow, I guess you must have too much time on your hands."

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I finished the body this weekend and put it together. I sealed it with decoupage glue/sealer. Not sure how it would hold up because it got rained on a little yesterday and now the stem is a little soft. Here's how it turned out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts