Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do an effect where the shape of a large mummy or skeleton head gradually appears to emerge from a wall.

I've seen something similar where actors push on fabric from the backside to freak out patrons and thought it was considered a scrim effect but my search on scrim has only yielded lighting effects with a scream. My effect would not be light based but really just a fam prop being pushed into fabric so as to form a face on the other side.

A couple of questions:
1) what is the proper name for this effect?
2) What is the best fabric for this effect?
3) know of any tutorials?

Thanks

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
1. No idea on the proper name, but I know what you mean.
2. Spandex should work well - it's stretchy, tightly woven, and is readily available through most fabric shops.
3. Here's a how-to where they're making a face push out of a TV screen: Fright WERKS | Do It Yourself Projects | The 3D TV

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm not sure what the name of the effect is either, but I did this once on an old TV. I removed the screen and replaced it with just some black stretchy fabric (I'm not sure what the fabric was, but I know it wasn't actually spandex). Then I put a windshield wiper motor in it with a face attached. It actually worked pretty well, but the issue I had was the fabric I used wasn't strong enough. By the end of the night the face actually started to rip through the fabric. My only advise is find the thickest, strechiest fabric you can.

·
The Evil Apparitionist
555 Posts
I want to do an effect where the shape of a large mummy or skeleton head gradually appears to emerge from a wall.

I've seen something similar where actors push on fabric from the backside to freak out patrons and thought it was considered a scrim effect but my search on scrim has only yielded lighting effects with a scream. My effect would not be light based but really just a fam prop being pushed into fabric so as to form a face on the other side.

A couple of questions:
1) what is the proper name for this effect?
2) What is the best fabric for this effect?
3) know of any tutorials?

Thanks
1) Living Wall Effect
2) Any Fabric that will stretch (spandex....)
3) Very Easy to do

I built a 4 ft x 6 ft frame out of 2"x2" with one center brace. Printed paintings of lifesized faces on t-shirt transfer sheets (the type for black t-shirts) then ironed them onto the black spandex. I used styrofoam wigheads on small air cylinders to push through the faces. An few extra small rubber hoses blew air out the sides of the wigheads to add a little startle. I setup a similar effect for a friend using a wiper motor and a cam shaft type movement to push the wigheads back and forth. I cut the wigheads in half and glued on plywood backs to make them easier to work with.

Some people have used actors to do the face pushing too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts