Halloween Forum banner

Screen door closer?

5408 Views 15 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  ZombieRaider
Howdy,

I have a question about a screen door closer. Actually I'm looking to build some pneumatic props as outlined by Steve Hickman at Terror Syndicate. The majority of his home made prop designs call for storm door closers. I'm not sure if I'm going to go the route he details or just buy the air cylinders.

The question I have is what is the standard stroke of a storm door closer? And is there a particular bore size I should be look for if I decide to buy the air cylinders as opposed to modifying storm door closers? Thanks.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
The reason not to use screen door closers is that they are not intended for that use and they can malfunction terribly. I have heard two people say that they had theirs have the cap pop off and one of them actually had the rod shoot across the street. Thank goodness there was no kids around. I think the main reason people say not to use the screen door closers is that you could possible kill a kid. Plus air cylinders aren't that much more expensive in the long run when you take into account having to modify the screen door closer.

· Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
The funny thing is that people say they have been using screen door closers for years and nothing has happened. I am going to assume that most likely hood nothing might happen. But god for bid something does you would be held totally accountable, because you altered a part for a use not intended when originally built. However if you were to use an air cylinder for it's intended purpose you might be more safe and less liable. So in the end the money saved by using a screen door closer doesn't sound like that much. Plus when you look at the price difference and ease I don't really think there is much of a difference and I am one of the cheapest people in the world. And no offense to anyone, but if you have to ask questions on a forum about this kind of dangerous thing then it might not be the best idea for you to do it. This might be something that experienced people can pull off. I will be the first to admit that I am not experienced and will end up buying air cylinders when I make a pneumatic prop.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.