Halloween Forum banner

Screen door closer?

5413 Views 15 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  ZombieRaider
Howdy,

I have a question about a screen door closer. Actually I'm looking to build some pneumatic props as outlined by Steve Hickman at Terror Syndicate. The majority of his home made prop designs call for storm door closers. I'm not sure if I'm going to go the route he details or just buy the air cylinders.

The question I have is what is the standard stroke of a storm door closer? And is there a particular bore size I should be look for if I decide to buy the air cylinders as opposed to modifying storm door closers? Thanks.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· BAD INFLUENCE
1,563 Posts
Definetly NO screen door closers. They aren't made to be used as an air cylinder. Skelatal Remains has a real good, easy to understand tutorial on the basics of pnuematics in the tutorial section on this forum. I also thought I saw a "caculator" for sizing cylinders. The size of the bore depends on the weight of the object, how much force is required to move it and the psi being used. Hope this helps.

· BAD INFLUENCE
1,563 Posts
Well that is what I had planned on doing, purchasing my air cylinders, as long as the price is right. But what is the standard throw of a storm door closer?

I just measured my front storm door and it appears to have a bout a 6" throw when the storm door is extended open all the way. Does that sound about right for anyone who uses storm door closers in props?

Was that without any restrictions, such as chains to keep the door from blowing open too far, or hinges at their limit ,etc. If so that is probably close to what the stroke is. usually you can measure the cylinder body and get a very rough estimate of the stroke. It is not real accurate, but will give you an idea of what you have and what you would need.

· BAD INFLUENCE
1,563 Posts
I just found the calculator I mentioned ,it's at Evilusions.com look under calculators and you' ll be able to figure out what you need. Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.