Halloween Forum banner

Screen door closer?

5408 Views 15 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  ZombieRaider
Howdy,

I have a question about a screen door closer. Actually I'm looking to build some pneumatic props as outlined by Steve Hickman at Terror Syndicate. The majority of his home made prop designs call for storm door closers. I'm not sure if I'm going to go the route he details or just buy the air cylinders.

The question I have is what is the standard stroke of a storm door closer? And is there a particular bore size I should be look for if I decide to buy the air cylinders as opposed to modifying storm door closers? Thanks.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
483 Posts
I agree with above post BUT faulty design and the cylinder blows up it is still on you.

I would still buy the cylinders. I built a TCT with a door closer more than 10 years ago and it is still working great. BUT I would start with real cylinders if I was going to do it over!!

Plus if you get your hands dirty in pneumatics you will need to learn the cylinder and solenoids sooner or later cause many great startle props are air operated and once you start you will be building tons of pneumatic props :D

-PB

· Registered
483 Posts
Don't forget Physics and Geometry. I thought I would never need algebra again, WRONG!!!!
Remember depending on your design the initial force will be MUCH greater than the ending force but yet you keep the same PSI on the cylinder throughout the motion. You will also need to consider how the prop motion is stopped. Cylinder are not designed to be stops of motion. YES I use the cylinder to stop some of mine, this doesn't mean it's a good idea/design. Springs, stops built into the motion are all good ideas.
I know I may have just confused you but as you build props this will make sense. One day you will think back and say " I thouht I heard someone say this, oh ya PropBoy" :D

Don't get frustrated and ask when your lost. I like Grainger as they return parts you try and they didn't work out. I have exchanged several items that I thought would work but were wrong. A little more pricey but sometimes worth the ease at least for me.

GL
-PB

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.