Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to make this my first post. Thought I would share some of the things I work on. It is for a scouting event in Cincinnati. Geared towards 10 and under, so scare is in, gore is out. Still a load of fun though. Still waiting on more pics, so hope to follow up soon.

Attachments

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
As a long time scout leader on both a pack and troop level, I really like this. Given the ages you mention, they must be Cubs. Nice job and looking forward to more pics.
Welcome to the forum by the way. Glad to have you on board!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Really like both the lighted sets and the viewed sets- gives me some more ideas for next Halloween. Nice haunt- I always am second guessing myself about what is appropriate for younger kids. I too went with little gore and more startles/scares with this years walk through. Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff in 2014- welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
If 10 kids are here at our door ,on a sunny afternoon, we talk to them,tell them what we Won't be doing . We ask them some questions. We often step outside so they may see our faces and bodies as we do this.
We promise them the lights will be "On",and they are "ON".
We tell them if they begin to feel too scared to say something (besides "AAAHH!!")
We listen to what they may be saying as they have sat there for the first minute, maybe turning on more lights for them.
We bring out the real cat or dog to distract them, which can work like throwing an electrical switch from Night to Day, often times.(Amazing!)
We engage them in little fun, silly things available for them to do, allowing them to "push-the-button", have the fun.(Which also allows them to actually scare their Parents-Friends! )
After ALL of this, sometimes one of them Still has to leave the house and an adult has to be with them as they wait in the parking lot.
My Wife is So Good though that after the tour begins, she will often go out to talk to them again.
Sometimes she can offer them the opportunity to scare the others and she can actually get them back into the house to do that and then even re-join the tour.
This eliminates the stigma of being "Too afraid" because the other kids can't say this and point the finger if the timid kid came back and scared them!
Much of the success of everything I just put down here hinges upon the personality and persona of my Wife, Jessica. she is Very good at communicating and pleasing people of all ages, me? I'm just "The scary Old Guy with wrinkles on his face".
"Watch out for HIM!"
Like anything in this life all of this requires time and effort.. and even then some will be too scared.
When an adult is too scared I have spent the time really talking to them and finally convinced them to give the tour a try. Many times that person has a fun time here and even becomes a patron.
Later they often share the reason behind the problems they had and usually it has to do with either having "Chitt" scared out of them when they were very young (too young to be in a haunt ), or from actual child abuse, that some other person could have gotten in trouble for doing or even a jail sentence.
The bad, sad thing is this general extreme victim I am referring to is almost always female.
This sure doesn't "speak Well" for our society, does it?
THE most common actual "Scares" that so deeply and wrongly affected them is always the Chainsaw Attack or someone grabbing them.
There you have it. My own research and results or remedy if you will.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Welcome to the forum and great first post!
I've been a scout leader on all levels from Cubs to Venture and our council never did anything like this. Congrats!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Welcome, I definitely think your on the right track, this season I had a similar challenge. Every year we do a 5k run/walk at work for employees and family. So we had adults down to tots in strollers and I definitely like over the top and gore but i had to force myself to tone down enough so that everyone could participate. We ended up doing a haunted boiler room. We had kids come back through time and time again and my 12 year old daughter helped and worked as the hostess, she would tell the littles to let her know if they were too scared and she would go with them, because of that we didn't have any that couldn't make it through.
image.jpg
This was my son he was behind this two way mirror and would taunt the guest and get them t come closer then turn on his light and give a little scare.

Here is the short video

We took first place
image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife and I decorate are yard every year and like you we dont use gore or cute stuff. Wel feel that the it should be freakie and scary for all ages.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts