Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had some bad storms roll through last night and I got a text from work informing me that part of our roof blew off (again) at the mill. The coworker who texted told me some of the foam underlayment blew off in intact 4'x4' 2" thick pieces and he was setting them aside for me. AWESOME! Only catch is they are the white foam backed with paper or something on both sides. Hopefully I'll be able to soak, slice or pull the backing off somehow and have some prime material for some new tombstones. Anybody ever figure out a way to get the backing off this stuff cleanly or am I just wasting my time with it?

Photo of the material from the roof I was sent. I'll be getting a first hand look at it tomorrow morning.

IMG_3902.jpg

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I'm a retired Sheet Metal Worker and did commercial HVAC most of my career so I'm very familiar with that stuff. Though I never really tried to get the backing off, it's probably not gonna be easy to get off cleanly. The foam is actually pale yellow in color and usually has a not so pleasant smell. You may wanna check the MSDS info on that stuff before you start dremeling or sanding it, it may not be the safest stuff to work with.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This stuff is a pale tan backed on both sides with a construction paper type material. No smell at all to it. It's firmer than white bead foam, but not as solid as pink or blue. I collected the 4 best pieces and brought them home for experimentation. It appears that just soaking the paper with water might be enough to remove it. there were a few damp areas that I was able to pull right off of the foam. I'll get to messing with it more in a few days once I'm off work. Hopefully I can use these to cut a few new tombstones from.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got started trying to get the paper backing off. I did manage to get it off, but it took quite a bit of work. Used a combination of wet scrubbing with a stiff brush then sanded off the glue layer with a palm sander. The foam underneath is not as tan as the edges are. It's a slightly tan/white color with a solid texture. Not as hard as blue or pink, but not at all crumbly like white foam. It does cut with a hot wire, but not as quickly as other foams I have used. There are some seam lines from manufacturing too, but they sanded smooth pretty easy. I left the glue layer on the back after scrubbing off the paper because it's apparently waterproof and I won't be carving there. I'll need to sand it away from the edges to avoid an unnatural looking hard edge, but other than that it should be fine to just paint over.

Here is the foam piece after scrubbing off the paper layer. Took about an hour to sand off this much of the glue...

This is the finished blank. 4ft x 2ft should make a pretty big tombstone! This is just a quick cut out to remove the broken edges and get a basic shape. I plan on doing something a little more fancy than just the arched top.

It was quite a bit of work to get this foam cleaned up and workable. If I were not always on a tight, nearly non-existent budget and always in need of free materials I would not have even tried cleaning this stuff up. It's quite the pain in the *** to do.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. I know all to well about repurposing material. I'm using an old worn out water hose cart for a pulley system for a flying ghost. Also using bed frames that people throw out for pneumatic scares.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. I know all to well about repurposing material. I'm using an old worn out water hose cart for a pulley system for a flying ghost. Also using bed frames that people throw out for pneumatic scares.
Yep. Any time foam appears amongst family or friends they always call me before throwing it away. lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts