Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend recently picked up an Epson SVGA res. projector at the local community college equipment sale. She paid the grand sum of $25.00. They had all kinds of items and equipment, including laptops, computers, monitors, projectors, sound equipment, etc. You might want to check with your local college, school, school board, etc., to see if there are any upcoming sales or auctions.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I did this many years ago. The state college near me were selling projectors and I've been able to purchase them at about $30 a pop. Still in somewhat good condition but hey $30 buck is $30 bucks. Nowadays they're phasing out older XGA or newer WXGA projectors so good deals to be had. Check the maintenance depts of schools and colleges to see when they are doing auctions.

·
Registered
600 Posts
You would also find them at office equipment auctions, which I seen a few of over the years. You can find local auctions by going to auctionzip.com and putting in your Zipcode .. Most even have lists and pictures of what's being sold. I'm an estate auction junkie. Lol

·
Registered
188 Posts
University surplus auctions are a haunters best friend.

I am very lucky to have a fantastic surplus department in my town. Oregon State has a formal program for surplus and they have regular hours every Wed. afternoon.. The only hard part is trying to get there during the day (jobs do get in the way sometimes) and trying to get parking close as it's combat parking around the university district.

All my projectors have come from the OSUsed store. All have been $50 or under I am going to use 4 in my haunt this year. I figure if I can get 2-3 seasons out of one it's worth it. Last year I had this ancient beast die after 3 seasons. As it cost $20 I just stripped off cool/useful parts, chucked it and bought another smaller more updated unit. Latest score was a non-working Infocus which is identical to my latest 2 projectors I got this winter. I think there is just a loose wire in the video input that causes it to flicker on/off but everything else including the bulb is fine. So if I can get it working it is super cheep 1000 lumen projector-if not I have parts and a spare bulb for $5.

Best deal I have ever landed was my motorized 10' movie screen for $20-same unit new is over $1200 bucks-It didn't have the control box. New control box is $200-not bad for this unit. However, before buying the box I looked up unit online pulled it schematics and discovered I just had to wire up a 3 way toggle switch. I have it mounted under an eve of the house out of the weather. When it's time for the show I have it auto deploy and raise back up. It was fun this summer as we had movies in the front yard.

If someone was doing a mad scientist theme this would be THE place to go. For $100 you could get a garage full of vintage displays, meters, old dial equipment, scopes, chemistry glassware etc.

It is always fun to go to the surplus sales as you never know what you are going to find. My favorite is when they sell the surplus athletic uniforms or gear. Game jerseys for $10 last year. Got 2 Haliburton Zero cases -one that I don't think was ever used, for $5 each.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts