Halloween Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband sent me this article today on schematic basics and at the bottom it mentions a cross platform app called Fritzing. I saw JeffHaas mention this back in 2014 in a fogger thread and was wondering if anyone has used it and can comment on it. I'm on a Mac and have heard other people mention a few other programs but they were windows based only.

Here's the direct link to Fritzing: http://fritzing.org/home/

·
Registered
14,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW I looked for it in the Mac App store and it wasn't there. Don't know if you can get it in the other platform app stores. I went to Fritzing's site and read their info on downloading to a Mac and don't think I'm comfortable downloading. There's a section 'Mac Notes' that talks about how later versions of OS X don't allow "unverified" software to be launched and it gives two ways around it. Hubby says you would only want to use the first way if you feel confident the app is secure, and he would never tell people to use their second method which allows app downloads from anywhere.

Anyone using any Mac App store programs that you've used and would recommend?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have never used Fritzing myself but being one who tinkers with microprocessors I have seen many people using it. I wouldn't hesitate to install it, but that's just my personal opinion.

Just for clarity, there is only one way listed on the Fritzing site to install. The 'second way' is actually instructions on how to bypass the default warning message altogether. It is for advanced users who pay attention and get annoyed at being nagged about unverified installs. If we weren't sure it wasn't what we wanted we wouldn't have clicked it to begin with, lol.

Anywho, if you are looking at Fritzing that probably means you have a prototype and are ready to take it to the next level?
Is it neat, is it fun, do you have pictures?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
So what does "Fritzing" do or accomplish?
(This got my attention because a previous electrician in this town was named "Fritz" )

·
Registered
35 Posts
So what does "Fritzing" do or accomplish?
(This got my attention because a previous electrician in this town was named "Fritz" )
Its a program that lets you create schematics of electronic circuits and design custom PCB boards.

When OP asked about it, it made me think they were working on a prop of some sort and now I'm curious what that could be.... ;)

·
Registered
14,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to disappoint and thanks for the response. Actually it would be more of a learning tool for me. Hubby has had some electronics classes way back in college and has a basic understanding of circuits and can read a diagram. I'm more the visual type and find seeing it on a breadboard connected easier to follow. Haven't sat down in a while with our Electronic Learning Lab from Radio Shack but winter time is kind of a nice time to do so and learn more. He enjoys spending some time doing this with me as it becomes a refresher for him and the goal will be that I can work with him doing some halloween projects. So far only wet our feet with maybe 3-4. We also took an Arduino class together at a TechShop so it all goes to gaining a broader understanding. Last year when we were coming up with the box to control the dual ElectroShock hats for our haunt he would diagram it out to explain it. I can see using a program like Fritzing as a way for him to take a diagram and lay it out for me to build off the printout, and test it...at least that would be the hope.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts