Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to ask another question already, but I'm doing some online Halloween shopping that I'd like to finish today.

I've bought the Scene Setter "add-ons" before, but never a background roll. I notice that the two background rolls that I'm looking at, are much shorter than the height of my walls.

For those of you who've used them, what did you use behind them (if anything), to cover the blank spaces above/below them? Was it really noticeable in the dark? Were you happy with the way they looked, or disappointed? I know that last one is opinion based, but I value opinions. ;)

Length isn't such a big deal, but I'm using them in a small space, and don't want the perspective thrown off by having them appear to be so small. Although maybe it would make the area seem larger, if I centered them over a black covering for the blank spaces? Maybe it would make it look like those walls were further away?

I was thinking that these might be a good alternative for making my porch into a parlor, rather than trying to create walls from sheets. I could attach the Scene Setters to sheets, just using the sheets to block light and enclose the space.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have a couple different scene setters and keep in mind that they typically work in tandem with two rolls. Depending on which setup you use, there can be specific ones for the upper and lower scenes (e.g. the gothic mansion). Or you can double stack the same such as for the brick walls.

So not sure which ones you're looking at, but if length isn't an issue and the scene is like the tile or brick wall then you can use the same role to cover the top and lower half of the wall.

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gothic Mansion is the main one that I'm looking at right now. I also like what appears to be add-ons (a 5 pc set) called "Haunted Mansion Wall Kit". Specifically, I like the stair case and foyer from the latter. The fact that the wallpaper on the two don't match isn't a huge deal at this point. I think that a lot of kids wouldn't notice, and our porch has a slight "turn" to it, which could make it a little more realistic that it's two separate areas. It would look good over our picture window, specifically, which is at the far end of the porch anyway. I wouldn't utilize the "Keep Out" banner, and the two small pieces could go on short walls with a more plain "wallpaper" background.

This is the Haunted Mansion Wall Kit (much shorter than the background rolls like Gothic Mansion):

I am a little concerned that the Gothic Mansion is a little too ornate, and maybe I should just see if I can find a spooky wallpaper Scene Setter background, instead...and just add my own elements to it.

Here's the Gothic Mansion background, with add-on portraits as a kit:

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
I didn't like the gothic mansion at first but once the lights went low the scene looked really good. We used it to create a haunted room like scene with a drop panel and fake fire place/mantel scene.

We also used the portraits for other parts of the haunt, but we cut them out and glue dotted them to cardboard backing to help round out the haunted house look. The stuff is really flimsy and can drive you crazy. So by cutting out the portraits and mounting on cardboard the pics looked better. I only used dots at the top so they would just hang down. If you glue dot around them they'll sag a little and looked wrinkled. We used the boxes from the costco skellies that were black on the inside.

I'd suspect that the haunted mansion kit is all on the same roll. So to eliminate the gap I would cut the pieces out and tape them together (which gives you a chance to get rid of that keep out part).

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I made the mistake of hanging my previous add-ons with tape...which of course, didn't come off afterwards, and then got them all stuck together. I don't even know if I still have them to be honest. They were just ghosts and skeletons. I'll have to break out the glue dots, for sure!

·
Registered
401 Posts
For sure placing the items on something else and not directly onto the scene setter is the way to go. Then I used thin picture wire to hang the cardboard backings that had the portraits on them. Made it easy to move around and pack away.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,162 Posts
I had a huge blackout roll from scene setters that I got 50% off at spirit after halloween sale. I used that to fill in areas near the bottom wall. Since there was decor in front of the walls, no one noticed the disparity. But as someone mentioned above, its plastic and it reflects ---that is the only down side for me.

·
Creepy Homeschool Mom
778 Posts
Okay, so in poking around, it appears that this comes as a set of two, with each roll being 4 ft. tall. Together that makes them 8 feet. Are your ceilings taller than that? If so, I would either do a second pass of the bottom roll, or do a black roll at the top.

I've used them a lot, but I've never seen this particular one. It's really neat! (I'm kind of tempted to use it instead of the peeling wall paper and wooden panels for the Admiral's study.) You definitely need the proper lighting, or they look really cheesy and cheap. But, done right, they really can transform a room.

1,309 Posts
When Frog and I decorated an old movie theater turned improv theater for their annual Halloween weekend of events we used LOTS of scene setter rolls and add ons. Back when the rolls were only 40'x4' single scene we only did the one roll mid way on the wall... no way we would be able to cover a whole theater high wall anyways. When the lights went down it mostly worked. Then they started to produce the double roll scenes, one 20X 4 upper and a 20X4 lower the made for an 8 ft tall scene. That worked great at the theater most folks never look up past that 10 foot mark anyway. The last year we decorated the theater we actually used the gothic scene. It worked well since the walls were a brickish red color to begin with and because of some boarded up windows from the days the building was a stable/garage/warehouse days they have floor to ceiling black curtains covering the unsightly "holes". It was like the gothic scene was made for this place.

Some of the decorating photo can be found in our albums. under HUT.

Here are a couple I've never uploaded of the gothic in use. IMG_7653.jpg

IMG_7649.jpg

IMG_7652.jpg

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't even notice the wall in the first picture, until I looked up towards the top. ;) The SS really catches the eye, which is what I was hoping for. I like the perspective for the hallway piece, too. I had only seen it against the backdrop, but even on its own, it still looks like a hallway in the picture!

Honestly, I haven't measured the area that I'm using for walls yet, but it is higher than 8 ft. It's our front porch, and I'd guess 10 feet at least.

My first thought before considering Scene Setters, was that I'd just grunge-dye some cheap sheets, and stencil patterns on it like this, for a wallpaper effect:

In fact, this is the photo that inspired me to create a parlor in the first place. I pinned it on Pinterest, and it's linked here, but just to the main page of the site. Edited to credit the person who is credited in the pin: theundeadofnight

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts