Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!
I need to attach scene setters to some 4x8 foot framed walls. What would be best to use? Tape, thumbtacks? I plan to wrap it around the edges of the wall panels a bit, and if possible re-use the stuff next year, but this isn't a must. Thanks for any tips.

253 Posts
After working with the scene setters for 5 years, I finally have a system down - we attach ours to our walls which are 2X4 frames - unfortunately there isn't really a way to save it for the following year. I put 3 small rolls of duct tape on EACH 2X4 (bottom, middle & top where the scene setter will end). I gently lay the scene setter across (or around) the 2X4's where I want it to go, and as long as you don't press the scene setter down hard (yet) you can keep lifting and adjusting it until you get it pulled tight with all the wrinkles out. Once you get it straight, press it down on each peice of duct tape. THEN I take a staple gun and put a staple through the scene setter right where each peice of duct tape is. It holds VERY well and surprisingly you hardly see the staples at all. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
I want to put some scenesetter on my fence behind my graveyard. Probably won't do so until Friday since I'm not sure what the wind will do to it and want to make sure it's up for Halloween night. I purchased clear push pins figuring it would be easier to pull out afterwards. Since I really don't want to see it rip where I anchor it I was thinking of running some packaging tape on the back side of the scenesetter to make it more rip proof. While it won't be as flexible it should at least be able to be rolled up later for storage.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I've been having good adherence with double-sided duct tape on aluminum siding. I don't know if it will stick as good on wood though. Wish I had some wood to attach things to. I can't put any holes in the siding.

·
that dude ain't right
615 Posts
I'm gonna try clear tape on the back to hook it on my hurricaine fence. I don't see why that wouldn't work. I'd stick with tape/velcro to attatch to a wall.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We have used poster stickies (little gel blobs on a roll) but this is our first year so it's a learning experience, but we gave up yesterday and switched to a staple gun.

This is on emulsion painted, plastered walls inside.

The stickies have pulled quite a bit of paint off in places, and I will be busy with the crack filler when the staples come out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
In my office haunt we used Staple guns for framing and in locations that needs "less" wall marking we used a regular desktop stapler ( stapled into lower sections of wall and a few other locations ) held up well. Re-use...possibly if removed carefully.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I've used thumb tacks everytime and have re-used the scene setters several times. I use a staple puller to remove the tacks. You will have holes, but I label which pieces go where for the next year and just use the same holes to tack. If the hole gets too big I just cover it with some clear tape. If the tacks showing bother you, you can hit each one with some acrylic paint to make them blend better.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies. I picked up a big box of black thumbtacks today and figure this will work well.

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
Jdubbya--I've saved some scenesetters for a couple of years and the keys to keeping them seem to be [1] Remove the tacks/staples/whatever as carefully as possible, [2] fold or roll the sheet as carefully as possible, and [3] store rolled/folded sheet where stuff is unlikely to fall on or against it. I also avoid cutting the sheet at all if I can. You just find a way to hide the roll with all the excess. I've managed to lose less than 3" off the outside edge in 3 years--2 of which I loaned the sheets out to a friend for her office party.

·
Captain o'th Black Pearl
2,036 Posts
Scott, either make a frame of 1x2's or just use single 1x2" vertically and make a "hanger" (looks like an upside down "L") of short 1x2" pieces, to hook over the top of the wall to secure the pine strips to the wall, then staple the scene setter to the strips...

1x2's what I used in our gazebo (pirates powder magazine) We have decorative lattice hanging down from the roof of the gazebo, that ends just below the top of the block wall next to our spa. I screwed (using drywall screws) 1x2" to hang down to the ground (abt 5 ft) and used a staple gun to attach the scene setters to the 1x2's. I had the 1x2's abt 3 ft apart to support the plastic. Yesterdays winds took them down tho so i'm going to wait until Friday to put them back up in case we get more wind with the Low pressure areas incoming this week.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm gonna try clear tape on the back to hook it on my hurricaine fence. I don't see why that wouldn't work. I'd stick with tape/velcro to attatch to a wall.
One thing about using clear tape such as scotch tape,if you are using black lights the tape will glow and that kinda sucks when you see glowing pieces of tape on your walls.

·
Registered
202 Posts
While we're all here, has anyone figures out how to attach them to a cinderblock wall?
sure.....get you some of that poster putty stuff at walmart its 97 cents in the office supply section,its yellow in color you just tear or cut little pieces and stick it to the wall,I use it in my basement haunt and it works great.

·
STARK Raving Mad
937 Posts
sure.....get you some of that poster putty stuff at walmart its 97 cents in the office supply section,its yellow in color you just tear or cut little pieces and stick it to the wall,I use it in my basement haunt and it works great.
Thanks! And remember, its pronounced El-duh-RAY-do Street. SDHS '82

1 - 18 of 18 Posts