Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we decorate our house, we like to change as much of it as we can, and have used scene setters to change the look of the walls. We've used the stone walls, peeling plaster, spooky forest, haunted library and I think one or two others I can't remember.

For this year, we've ordered some photo backdrops from Aliexpress, but as nice as they may be, they're really expensive.

Looking online for more and new scene setters, to me, it seems as though many of the good ones have been discontinued and very few new ones that are decent. I'm hoping I'm just doing a poor search and someone here knows where to get some great scene setters.

Am I just missing them?

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Oriental Trading http://www.orientaltrading.com has a lot. Do a search for scene setters there. Here's a link to lots of ideas for decorating your wall space. https://www.pinterest.com/zim2/halloween-windows-and-walls/

Here an HFer shows you how he painted shower curtains to get the look he wanted. http://www.halloweenforum.com/party-ideas-experiences-and-recipes/145547-2016-zombie-apocalypse-11.html#post1989290

You also might have some luck going to the Facebook marketplace and look for some cheap curtains that you can dye and/or stencil a design. This would be more durable and also might be cheaper.

I've used satin sheets I got from garage sales. I put a thin dowel rod through one end. These sheets are lighter than a curtain. With the dowel rod, I only have to use two push pins to put them on the wall. http://www.halloweenforum.com/party-ideas-experiences-and-recipes/130745-cheap-way-put-up-fake-curtains-your-halloween-party.html#post1536138

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 1.06.43 PM.jpg

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Amazon is good for getting deals. Put everything you like onto your wish list and then wait. Anytime one of them goes on sale, you'll get an email.

For some variety, check out Shindigz/Stumps/MN International (it's all one company but each one puts out its own catalog). Their stuff isn't scary but makes nice backgrounds. They have paper, plastic, cardboard and fabric backgrounds.

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,518 Posts
Party City sells them in store. They usually only have a couple of prints though: stone wall and the haunted house gothic walls.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have always got them on Ebay. I tend to get them just after Halloween as a lot of them go into sale and are much cheaper.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback. I think we've tried looking in all those places, but they all seem to carry the same ones. And, those that are "different" are too small to actually use on a wall (like, a 5'x7' non-repeating backdrop).

If we were decorating one or two rooms, it'd be easier to make our own stuff and get really creative, but we decorate the entire first floor and custom-decorating all the walls would be difficult and time-consuming.

I was hoping there was a "secret" place everyone was getting theirs from that I was clueless about. :(

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
I do themed whole house parties. I do some scene setters but not a lot because the environment changes each year. Our guests enjoy the AtmosFear FX dvds I put on various walls. Just look for cheap DVD players and projectors on garage sale sites. Also if your local fabric store is having a sale, buy cheap black cloth. I have 10 floor to ceiling pieces of black material. I can put this along an entire wall. But many times I'll use one or two in an area that needs it with various props and lighting. For other areas, lighting, props and artwork create the look without needing scene setters. Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Yes the long lengths of scene setters seem to becoming a thing of the past. Thank goodness I don't have to decorate a theater anymore.

I agree fabric might be the best bet. Joann's always has a coupon to bring the cost down on new. Second hand stores sometime have long lengths of fabric. I've made some good use of second hand purchased King size flat sheets. Some even have some great patterns on them.

Making our own scenes on fabric wasn't too hard. We did a bunch of long dropcloths with carnival freaks on them. We just projected what we wanted onto the fabric and then using a cheap Harbor Freight air brush painted in the lines.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I use the scene setters for my outside graveyard area. I affix them to tarp and line the area with them. I used to use fabric but it would get wet and blow around resulting in constant TLC. Even then, I was a slave to the weather on Halloween night.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts