Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased one of these from Cowlacious Designs?

I realise at $99.95, it won't be up to the spec of some (any!) of the 3-axis skulls out there, but I'm looking for a cheap and basic introduction to the animatronic world.

Can anyone tell me if everything is there that's needed to get going (other than the MP3 / CD player for the audio source)?

http://cowlacious.mybigcommerce.com/products/Scary-Terry-Talking-Skull.html

Many thanks for any advice you can pass on to me.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I ordered one yesterday and it was shipped today. I too was looking for a slightly inexpensive option for skull animation as well.

I will let you know my thoughts in a week or two.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I just got one of these from a haunter who was unloading his entire collection. If you take a look at the videos Cowlacious has on their site, they show what you get and how it works in complete detail. I went through them to learn how to use it myself.

You get everything, you just need to pick or make an audio track. There's a video Cowlacious has linked on how to add a tone to one channel to activate the jaw on the skull, it makes it much more predictable & controllable.

Also, Carl at Cowlacious is very good at replying to email and helping you out. His skull is a good option if you want to buy everything you need without any DIY.

·
Psychic or Psychotic?
714 Posts
I ordered and received the assemble it yourself version back in May. It's pretty simple to use and works well. I am quite happy with the purchase. You will also need a 6-12V DC power supply for the skull.

Like the others have said just watch the videos, it's really that simple.

I also purchased and use the Cowlacious audio boards. They're great for adding audio to sync my soundless prop controllers. You can even use them to drive the ST skull.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It is a good product with good support. Look for some videos on youtube on how to create a "hidden" beep track. It will help make the skull look at bit more realistic.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jonnyci, look forward to hearing your thoughts when you receive the skull.

Everyone else, thanks for the prompt replies.

Jack Skellington, you say you also bought the Cowlacious audio boards that can also be used to drive the skull. That is the bit that I am confused about... is there not a board supplied with the skull already? Otherwise, how do you sync the skull movement to the sound track?

I've seen the youtube 'how-to' on adding the hidden sine-wave to the audio. That looks like the ingenious way to go!

Any other thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.

·
Psychic or Psychotic?
714 Posts
Jack Skellington, you say you also bought the Cowlacious audio boards that can also be used to drive the skull. That is the bit that I am confused about... is there not a board supplied with the skull already? Otherwise, how do you sync the skull movement to the sound track?
The skull includes the servo driver board but not an audio player. You need some type of audio source to plug into the servo board. You can use a CD or MP3 player or in my case I'll use either one of the Cowlacious boards or audio from a prop controller.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I bought two of them maybe 7 or 8 years ago. I swapped one for bucky's head and fastened the computer speakers Cowlacious sells right where Bucky's lungs would be. The speakers are black and disappear in the dark, but the sound is front and center when Bucky "speaks." It's run great (knock on wood).

Edit - I used the Cowlacious Sound Player board in Bucky and kept a Player/Recorder to use as the recording device. Very easy to use.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I've had this product and I am pleased at the price you pay. That also includes the skull, which is as lot cheaper than most would spend on the 3 axis. For home haunters these are fine. The new player boards that Carl sells are great to use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts