Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
I was once on a weekend wilderness survival trip with the local Civil Air Patrol. When dark fell upon us we started to notice eyes in the tree line. Then one came out that looked like a coyote. So we spent the rest of the night trading shifts around a big fire, watching the tree line, and scaring them back. At one point, one had low crawled in and was only about 3 feet from my boot!

In the morning as we got our bearings on the compass and headed out we could hear them behind us.... following. When we got back home one of the leaders contacted the DNR. To our surprise, the timber wolves in the area had a litter of cubs that summer. So what we were seeing was the cubs sneaking in to check us out, while the rest of the pack must have been back in the woods.

During the night I don't think we were that scared. Being northern minnesota boys things like this happened. Especially since we thought they were coyotes, the danger was less imminate. But upon hearing the news of what they really were, the thought of what could have happened really put a chill down my spine.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Well, there are different types of fear:

1. Asking the pretty girl out on a date in high school. (I was incredibly shy in high school and never really fit in. I was always the "friend" and I hated it. Actually summing up the courage to ask a girl out was terrifying.)

2. Fishtailing my motorcycle on an icy road in college and coming within inches of shooting right off the side of the road and over a steep cliff (about 50 feet down through boulders and trees).

3. Rushing my wife to the Emergency Room to find out she's having a miscarriage. (Very scary, very sad, but we had beautiful daughter #3 a year later.)

4. Hearing the fire alarm go off at two in the morning and smelling smoke in the house, knowing that my daughters are asleep downstairs. (Turned out to be a house up the street, but the smoke flowed through the open windows of our house.)

5. Hearing there will be layoffs in my department. (Always scary when you have to worry about your future and the future of your family.)

Sorry, no "jump out of your skin" scary moments that I can recall -- other than the motorcycle skid!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,519 Posts
I live in Houston, TX.

Waiting for the direct hit from Hurricane Ike, after losing power hours before, huddled in the bathroom with my hubby and kitties (and MIL - who chose to come to our house uninvited instead of going to relatives who invited her that lived in a safer area - just snoring away in the next room :rolleyes:), thinking that any second the roof would be ripped off or the windows burst in.

The feeling of complete helplessness was horrific and I will never go through that thing again if I can help it.

·
6,359 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to ruin the fun vibe! :eek:

If I had to think of a "scary then, but funny as heck now" moment, it would probably be . . .

Camping on the Olympic Penninsula in a thin tent in summer. About five in the morning I woke up hearing noises outside the tent. I was alone and freaked out. Weird shadows and noises. Breathing. It was freaky.

Turns out it was a couple of deer munching on clover. :D

·
Registered
453 Posts
#1Waking up to roommates shouting fire, opening the door to have flames shoot over my head.
2. Having my truck burn to the ground. 75 miles in the middle of nowhere Ariz. Having to walk out and go through a rattlesnake infested train tunnel.
3. Having my truck on two wheels, about to go off the side of a mountain.
4.Being trapped at least 1/2 mile in a cave with a dead flashlight.
5. being run up a tree by a bull elk
I could go on for days!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well, there are different types of fear:

1. Asking the pretty girl out on a date in high school. (I was incredibly shy in high school and never really fit in. I was always the "friend" and I hated it. Actually summing up the courage to ask a girl out was terrifying.)

2. Fishtailing my motorcycle on an icy road in college and coming within inches of shooting right off the side of the road and over a steep cliff (about 50 feet down through boulders and trees).

3. Rushing my wife to the Emergency Room to find out she's having a miscarriage. (Very scary, very sad, but we had beautiful daughter #3 a year later.)

4. Hearing the fire alarm go off at two in the morning and smelling smoke in the house, knowing that my daughters are asleep downstairs. (Turned out to be a house up the street, but the smoke flowed through the open windows of our house.)

5. Hearing there will be layoffs in my department. (Always scary when you have to worry about your future and the future of your family.)

Sorry, no "jump out of your skin" scary moments that I can recall -- other than the motorcycle skid!
is the layoff thing past or present?

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Really scary? Having the ER doctors tell you, "We're going to stop your wife's heart..."
(tachycardia - uncontrolled, rapid beating of the heart...fatal if untreated...extreme cases require the heart to be stopped chemically)

Funny scary? Having your "best friend" teach you to ski on the intermediate slope. I did learn, but I did manage to launch myself into the air about 8 feet and land on my head that day as well.

edited to add:]/i]...oohhh...just read Spirit in the Night's post, and remembered this one: January 17th, 1994 - I lived 1/4 mile from the epicenter of the Northridge earthquake - wasn't terrified until all the lights went out (power went out) - was convinced the building was going to collapse (it didn't...but came close).

·
Registered
449 Posts
Wow, these posts make me realize that my life is boring...but that's a good thing! Here are the few I can think of:
1) Camping in a freak tropical storm in Mexico, 5 months pregnant, with a 4-year-old. Our tent was all by itself, backed against a shear cliff with a narrow spit of beach connecting it to the rest of the campground, and I was terrified the road would get washed out before we could escape. My dad's tent was torn from the ground and blew away, and is probably floating in the Gulf of California now, 10 years later. Once we grabbed what we could and drove like mad to the rest of the campground, I was terrified that lightning would hit the spare gas tanks on the back of our jeeps. Hey, I was pregnant, I was allowed some irrational moments.
2) Driving on a fire road to see my husband's old house, then realizing that our little car couldn't make it any further. My husband made me get out of the car with our 1-year-old so we would be safe, then he did about a hundred-point-turn to get the car facing back down the road. I remember at one point he had the car exactly across the road, with the rear bumper against the mountainside and the front tires barely clinging to the edge of the crumbling dirt road. I thought there was no way he could possibly get the car moved any further without going over the side. Part of me was positive that I was about to become a widow!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Flying from Chicago, to Atlanta, we hit some serious turbulence. At one point the plane dropped a good distance, enough to make it feel like your stomach was coming up. At that one instance, I thought that we were falling from the sky, and that it was the end.
Since then, I have never been on another airplane.

Another, was when we were at Six Flags in St. Louis. My daughter and I went to ride a coaster, while my wife and son went on another ride. The skies darkened while we were waiting to ride, and then all hell broke loose. The tornado sirens started to go off, and the wind started picking up. It was around 4:00pm, but it was as dark as it would be as if it was 10:00 at night. My daughter and I was running as fast as we could to get were my wife, and son were, which was at the other end of the park, but security cut us off, and told us to get into the nearby theater immediatly. The whole time while we sat inside, we could hear the wind pounding the side of the building, and the entire time my daughter was crying, asking for her mom, and her brother. She kept asking me if they were alright, balling her eyes out. What didn't help was that they acually had a show running on a big screen, which was some music awards show, which was synched up to the lights in the building, so the lights would flicker on and off.
In the end, we really don't know if it was a tornado or not, but my wife, who was standing in the doorway of some building, told me she saw clouds twisting right above them. My heart was pounding the entire time, but what really scared me was the thought of where the other half of my family was, and if they were safe. To this day, I can still hear the terror in my daughters voice, as we waited it out in the theater.
Two years later, my daughter will not go back to Six Flags St. Louis, but, she will sit there and watch Storm Chasers for hours.

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
Here's a few of mine:

1) Being in the front passenger side of my girlfriend's Dodge Charger making a left turn under arrow at safe speed, and a speeding car (police said tire tracks showed about 90 mph) ran his red light and right into us as we were making the turn. We all had seat belts on but I still hit the windshield and cracked it. Other minor injuries in our vehicle. The other vehicle was driven by two well-connected married businessmen with their girlfriends in car. We managed to get out of car, which was totaled, and waited for police. My head was bleeding rather noticeably I was told, and I was told I had to go to the hospital. Scariest part was calling my dad to tell him I was in the hospital and needed him to get out of bed to come down to sign my admittance papers....

2) First time at "away" Girl Scout camp somewhere in a deep wooded area. Bunch of brownie girl scouts telling urban legend-type stories and then you hear noises out in the woods. Never liked the idea of camping in a tent after that.

3) I'm in elementary school and spending the evening at a slumber party at a friends house--sitting around a Ouiji board and it moves and spells out something and everybody says they didn't move it. They'd all swear to it. I knew I hadn't either. Took a picture of one of the girls on my brownie flash camera that night and when I got it developed it had done a double exposure and it looked like there was a ghost in the picture....too weird.

4) Staying up late to finish watching a black and white horror movie on TV, rest of family has gone to bed and I hear noises from the basement--probably the house settling but no way was I going to find out! I use to love listening to the Bill Cosby albums back then and all I could think about was Fat Albert saying the blob was coming or something like that. Thump, thump....thump, thump.

5) Walking into a room and finding a dear friend collapsed under a desk after having an apparent heart attack at age 30. He spent some time in the hospital but was ok, since passed away. This was someone who loved halloween too and organized a group of us to dress up for halloween, ride in a hearse (he had a casket and was the body), and went bar hopping along Rush Street in Chicago. I miss him. He's also the same person that got me into relief sculpting of pumpkins back in the 80s. Fun times with him.

6) Speaking of airplanes, also experienced a pretty quick drop during a bad thunderstorm. However flying across the Pacific at 30-some thousand miles above the ocean was more unnerving in a way especially when you hear the metal flexing. Hearing about the crash off South America reminded me of that oceanic trip. Still I enjoy watching "Lost".

7) One last "fear" to relate. I must have been in 2nd or 3rd grade and we had to write a poem (Halloween was coming up soon) after which we were told that we had to stand up in the front of the class and read it. Terror suddenly struck. I still remember the name of the poem "A Ghost Named Paul", something about him having a terrible fall... it was done as a humorous poem and I was not someone good at telling jokes BTW. I was not one for the spotlight at that age and remember being so scared to even start my poem. I think my voice cracked. Finally got started and the kids loved it. Everyone was laughing and they clapped at the end and made me read it twice after that I think. My teacher asked me for the poem to keep and I gave it to her. I really wish I had a copy of it now.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,638 Posts
Im coming up with scary real stuff, its depressing...why is it we only remember the negatives mostly? Im sure I have scary funny, but I cant recall them on myself, I do remember a scary moment for my fiance. He came home from work and I hid upstairs pretending to be doing stuff. I usually scared him behind a door or something, well he got wise to that pretty quick. So he went into the bathroom downstairs. So I crept as quietly as I could down and hid along the wall by the bathroom. I kept chanting become one with the wall, become one with the wall....like a ninja! ...yesss....like a ninja. So there I was crouched down for like 15-20 mins. He finally emerged from the bathroom and I tried to spring up to jump on him but instead I ended up jumping up only halfway and did a weird crab walk thing towards him (because my legs gave out from waiting so long) making a funny noise and he screamed like a little girl. We still laugh about that one to this day.

·
Undead Handyman
557 Posts
Back in the early 90s I was an assistant manager at a major chain drugstore. I was working overnights with some repairmen removing asbestos tile. When they finished they would leave and I would work until 6am. One unfortunate day a 3 year old boy was runover and killed in the parking lot by one of our employees (it wasn't her fault but it happened.) The following morning at 2am after everyone else was gone I heard something hitting the ground from several aisles over from where I was working. I found every item from the top shelf on the ground. It was if someone had dragged their arm along the shelf and pushed every cup, napkin, and paper plate along a 12ft run and spread them out on the floor. I quickly placed the merchandise back on the shelf set the alarm and left. On the following nights I left when the repairs were done and lost a couple hours pay. Nothing else like that happened again, but I was still relieved when I was transferred a couple months later.

·
Registered
210 Posts
1. 11 years old, out with the boy scouts on a trip somewhere in the MS forest and waking up to find a snake curled up on top of me... (later found out, it was a 7 foot long cottonmouth moccasin)

2. swimming in a small lake my family owns, looking up and seeing a pack of wolves on the bank, blood smeared all over them, and looking straight at me while licking their lips

3. scuba diving, being 90 feet down only to have my air house break and lose all my oxygen in the tank (thankfully there was a buddy nearby!)

4. 6 years old, being told by my grandparents that I was wearing too much green (on Saint Patrick's day) and that it angered the Little People... and that if I didn't take off that much green then I wouldn't be around after night fall. (hey, we're Irish...and the Little People haven't bothered me yet! )

5. 22 years old and seeing a shape moving across the front yard (through a curtain)... pull the curtain back, nothing there, let the curtain fall back into place it was still there....start saying the Lord's Prayer and the shape jerks and starts moving towards the window, by the end it just disappears... weirdest/scariest thing of my life

·
Registered
668 Posts
1. As I often have insomnia I was up late one night making lunches for my husband and children for the next day for his work and their school. I'm all alone in the kitchen at the back of the house and the lights flicker and I hear someone say Maaammmmmaaaa (mama) really low and drawn out. I quickly checked all my kids none of which were awake or moving a muscle. I refused to finish the lunches went and woke my husband up and was didn't sleep the rest of the night.

2. When I was a teenager I lived in an old 100 year old farm house. I woke up one night to see a young boy standing at the foot of my bed, who waved at me faded and disappeared...... Creepy to say the least. Often in the afternoon after coming home from school when it would just be my brother and I home you could hear the sound of a ball (sounded like a baseball or something) being rolled back and forth.

·
6,359 Posts
I like to tell myself that I am rational and don't believe in ghosts, but ghost stories still creep me out.

A college girlfriend (let's call her Cindy) told me of her experience. She was home alone one morning getting ready to head out for class, when she heard two voices from the second floor of the house. At first, she thought it was just a roommate and didn't pay much attention, but as she continued to listen, she realized the voice wasn't familiar. And then there was a second voice -- a man's voice.

She stood at the bottom of the stairs trying to make out the conversation, but couldn't. All she could tell was that it seemed to be a conversation -- boiling into an arguement -- between a man and a woman. She knew she was alone in the house and started thinking it was a robbery of some kind.

After a few minutes, the two voices got angry and there was a loud THUMP from upstairs. Cindy said she saw the little end table in the hallway shake with the force of the thump. She dashed upstairs to see what had happened, thinking someone had fallen down -- and there was no one there. All the windows were closed, the house was secure, and she was absolutely alone.

She flew down the stairs and ran to class. She says she didn't go back home until she could find one of her roommates and they could go home together.

Now, I wasn't there. This was just a story Cindy told me one late evening, but it was still spooky enough to keep me from sleeping comfortably.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts