is the layoff thing past or present?Well, there are different types of fear:
1. Asking the pretty girl out on a date in high school. (I was incredibly shy in high school and never really fit in. I was always the "friend" and I hated it. Actually summing up the courage to ask a girl out was terrifying.)
2. Fishtailing my motorcycle on an icy road in college and coming within inches of shooting right off the side of the road and over a steep cliff (about 50 feet down through boulders and trees).
3. Rushing my wife to the Emergency Room to find out she's having a miscarriage. (Very scary, very sad, but we had beautiful daughter #3 a year later.)
4. Hearing the fire alarm go off at two in the morning and smelling smoke in the house, knowing that my daughters are asleep downstairs. (Turned out to be a house up the street, but the smoke flowed through the open windows of our house.)
5. Hearing there will be layoffs in my department. (Always scary when you have to worry about your future and the future of your family.)
Sorry, no "jump out of your skin" scary moments that I can recall -- other than the motorcycle skid!