Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must say that I LOVE horror movies...all different kinds...but lately I havent been finding any gems to add to my list of "must see". I am hoping to start a website soon that gives ratings for horror movies and an explanation of what made them worth the watch. If anyone has any recommendations as to movies they think are just excellent please post them here and add why you liked it( even if it is a personal reason , like maybe coincidence of an event etc) without any spoilers if possible. They don't need to be scariest or bloodiest etc but can be if it fits the bill!

I have seen so many I wouldnt know where to start! So here are just a few of my votes...

The Exorcist - a timesless scary movie, had all the elements of a great film and the fact that it could happen made it one of the best.

The Blair Witch Project - When I watched it years ago, it had just come out of DVD and I had no idea that it was not based on true events... was alone and it scared the crap outta me(which is hard to do) but the "live video camera" effect makes this movie terrifying.

Silence of the Lambs - Favorite movie of all time, love everything about it.

Evil Dead and all sequels - Ash is my Hero...LOL

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original) - supposedly based on the real life serial killer...ED Gein, knowing that there are real people out there that are like this... frightening.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,438 Posts
I'd say the Universal Horror series, Dracula, Wolfman, Frankenstein, The Mummy.

And to go back even further, Nosferatu, Beauty & the Beast (Cocteau's version not the Disney version) & Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

I add Beauty & the Beast in there because it was pretty influential on Coppola's Dracula, which should be on the list too! I mean Keanu Reeves accent is more horrifying in that flick than Oldman as the Count!!!:D

·
The Minister of Macabre
953 Posts
I must say that I LOVE horror movies...all different kinds...but lately I havent been finding any gems to add to my list of "must see". I am hoping to start a website soon that gives ratings for horror movies and an explanation of what made them worth the watch. If anyone has any recommendations as to movies they think are just excellent please post them here and add why you liked it( even if it is a personal reason , like maybe coincidence of an event etc) without any spoilers if possible. They don't need to be scariest or bloodiest etc but can be if it fits the bill!

I have seen so many I wouldnt know where to start! So here are just a few of my votes...

The Exorcist - a timesless scary movie, had all the elements of a great film and the fact that it could happen made it one of the best.

The Blair Witch Project - When I watched it years ago, it had just come out of DVD and I had no idea that it was not based on true events... was alone and it scared the crap outta me(which is hard to do) but the "live video camera" effect makes this movie terrifying.

Silence of the Lambs - Favorite movie of all time, love everything about it.

Evil Dead and all sequels - Ash is my Hero...LOL

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original) - supposedly based on the real life serial killer...ED Gein, knowing that there are real people out there that are like this... frightening.
I have to agree with this list.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol... im glad that we share the same taste in horror flicks :) Everyones suggestions are good... Havent seen Cabinet of Dr Calgiari(sp?) but have it on netflix and think I may have to indulge. Come on folks lets hear some more...looking for ones maybe that havent been seen yet :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Truly scary movies are tough to come by and what some may deem as scary others may not. I will throw a couple out which may or may not be scary but at least they are good imo.

REC
Dead Silence
Them
Frailty
Session 9
Ginger Snaps

·
Registered
775 Posts
As far as the "must see" greatest horrors of all time... You have....

Halloween (1978)
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
The Shining (1980)
Psycho (1960)
Jaws (1975)

However, if you want to see one of the SCARIEST movies all time... That would have to be "The Changeling".. NOT the Angelina Jolie one form a few years ago. This one came out in 1980 and stars George C Scott. It is a excellent ghost story movie. It is also very well acted and well done. There are things that were taken from that movie that are used in todays horror...

Even Horror/Halloween people like ourselves agrees that it is one of the scariest... . I saw it when I was very young and it was terrifying. I have watched it again since then thinking that maybe it was because I was young that it was so scary.. Nope..lol... It IS really that scary..:D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Scariest and Best when it comes to horror are very different, of course.
For recent films -
Scariest - REC
Best - Let the Right One In

I like Undead October's list, and would include Trick 'r Treat and The Devil's Rejects, to go along with his classics.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I like Undead October's list, and would include Trick 'r Treat and The Devil's Rejects, to go along with his classics.
Love both of these movies as well. Especially "The Devil's Rejects" I have watched that movie over and over again and I love it more, each time I see it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I would say for me ...

The Shining

Halloween

Carrie

The Exorcist

Evil Dead

Texas Chainsaw...

a few of my favorites off the top of my head.

I really like exploitation films from the 60s and 70s. You know really badly acted ,crappy shot, garbage, that makes you feel like you need a shower after watching it.

I have a dvd collection of some really weird stuff.

·
Registered
344 Posts
As far as the "must see" greatest horrors of all time... You have....

Halloween (1978)
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
The Shining (1980)
Psycho (1960)
Jaws (1975)

However, if you want to see one of the SCARIEST movies all time... That would have to be "The Changeling".. NOT the Angelina Jolie one form a few years ago. This one came out in 1980 and stars George C Scott. It is a excellent ghost story movie. It is also very well acted and well done. There are things that were taken from that movie that are used in todays horror...

Even Horror/Halloween people like ourselves agrees that it is one of the scariest... . I saw it when I was very young and it was terrifying. I have watched it again since then thinking that maybe it was because I was young that it was so scary.. Nope..lol... It IS really that scary..:D
I've been on my share of horror sites and whenever The Changeling is brought up, most consider it scary and underrated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yay, movies!!! (Other than all things Halloween ... my favorite subject!!!)
I'm pretty much in agreement with all titles mentioned so far...

'The Changeling' is a great mood piece but I did find it rather slow. Not that slow is bad necessarily ... in fact, 'The Haunting' (original 1963 B&W version) was excellent at building suspense and creeping out the viewer without ever actually "revealing" the mysteries of the house. I believe it was even rated 'G' at the time! That movie would have to be near the top of my list of recommendations...it was scary and messed with your head and managed to do so without ever really showing you anything. Sounds boring ... but trust me, it isn't!

Someone mentioned 'Let the Right One In' ... which I thought was FANTASTIC and probably the best horror movie offering I've seen in recent years. Highly recommend it. :) Didn't see the American version of similar name (Let Me In) but the story is good, so you probably can't go wrong.

I also think these belong somewhere on a list of "must sees":
-The Japanese versions of 'The Ring '(Ringu) and 'The Grudge'
-Alien
-Aliens
-Carpenter's remake of 'The Thing'
-Cloverfield

Also going to give a nod to the (classic) zombie genre:
-'Night of the Living Dead' (Romero's original ... in B&W)
-'Dawn of the Dead' (his sequel, the one with the purple zombies)
AND
- 'Zombie' (Fulci's unauthorized exploitation sequel that takes place on an island)

I love love LOVE movies!!! Can you tell???? :D:D:D

·
Registered
373 Posts
I haven't seen many classical horror films, so i can only really add my favorite recent horror movies.

REC 1 and 2..... I love shaky camera type movies, adds so much realism, also i thought that REC 1 was so much better then quarantine (the American remake of REC)

The saw series.... I'm kind of a fan of gore, and I like the twists at the end of each movie.

The crazies........ Good plot, actors and also incredibly creepy!

Black swan......This doesn't exactly count as a horror movie to some people, but it's an awesome film and i found there were ALOT of jumps throughout.

Scream.... The first horror movie i remember watching, i was terrified of this when i was younger, perhaps not so much now, I can't wait for scream 4!

Psycho (The original)...... I saw this at school for an English essay, I must say i rather enjoyed it, I have also seen the remake with Vince Vaughn, what a load of crap!

This is just a few of my Favorites, like i said most of them are very recent.

Thanks
Phil :D

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I've been on my share of horror sites and whenever The Changeling is brought up, most consider it scary and underrated.

I'm a fan. Great story, great acting, very tense. Goes to show you don't need buckets of gore to make a great thriller.

There's too many horror flicks out there for me to chose just a few. But I'll always remember with great affection the movies that got me started on my love of the genre.; those starring the late, great Vince Price.

He was one cool ghoul! :cool:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've gotta agree with Buggula onthe late, great Mr. Vincent Price. He lent such a "feeling" to the movies he was in, that in itself is unmatchable. Heck, my son's middle-name is Vincent because of him!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I liked the Amitiville Horror, The Saw series, Dawn of the dead, Land of the dead, Psycho, The Happening, Friday the 13th....the list goes on and on....
Amityville was my personal favorite, as a kid this movie terrified me for days, I slept in front of my parents room on the floor after watching this movie scared the heck out of me at the time. I tried to sleep in my own bed, but only lasted a few minutes....my all time scariest movie.

The exorcist and nightmare on elm street were also movies that scared me as a kid...Now if I watch them I kind of laugh and still cannot believe that those movies effected me in such a way...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts