Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I LIKE!! Simple but very cool and effective scarecrow. How did you anchor the pumpkin head on. Any closeups?
I’m not happy at all with the head attachment…it’s janky AF. If you have one of those pumpkins, you see the 4 little plastic eyelets on the battery compartment. I drilled 4 holes in a cross pattern near the top of a 4 inch section of pvc and basically used the brown twine threaded through the eyelets and the holes in a cross pattern to attach the pumpkin to the pvc…just tied 4 knots. Then put the other end of the pvc in the top of the cross joint. The twine has some give so the head droops some. Trying to come up with a more solid way to do it without glue or drilling into the pumpkin. I’ll snap a pic tomorrow.

I’d have to cut and re-thread/tie the twine for a battery change.

·
Registered
14,450 Posts
You sold me on the look so I ordered a pumpkin tonight. I’ll pick it up tomorrow and take a look at what you described. Maybe a wooden plate of some type attached to the bottom of the pumpkin for more stability? When you mentioned the timer function well it just begged to be bought so you can put him up all week and not worry about taking down.

I do like his head tilted down looking at the mortal humans passing below 😈

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I drove the fencing post in at an angle to give him a menacing forward lean.
Ya..I thought about L brackets attached to the pvc, the maybe a couple of zip ties through the eyelets and the brackets.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I drove the fencing post in at an angle to give him a menacing forward lean.
Ya..I thought about L brackets attached to the pvc, the maybe a couple of zip ties through the eyelets and the brackets.
When the Home Depot Anaconda head was drooping, I used magnets to hold it on straight. Maybe a combination of fender washers (on the inside) and magnets attached to the PVC would work? I know it is hard to stick stuff to PVC, they make some magnets with a screw hole in the middle.

Altho that gives me another idea ... do you have any of the moldable plastic pellets? I used them once to make a little mounting block for PVC and molded it around the pipe while it was still warm. It stuck to the PVC, to the point I had to use a flat screwdriver to make it let go. Until then I would have told you only epoxy and some VHB adhesives would stick to PVC.

Great prop, I also appreciate the simplicity of construction and it looks like a lot of wow for not a ton of money.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
When the Home Depot Anaconda head was drooping, I used magnets to hold it on straight. Maybe a combination of fender washers (on the inside) and magnets attached to the PVC would work? I know it is hard to stick stuff to PVC, they make some magnets with a screw hole in the middle.

Altho that gives me another idea ... do you have any of the moldable plastic pellets? I used them once to make a little mounting block for PVC and molded it around the pipe while it was still warm. It stuck to the PVC, to the point I had to use a flat screwdriver to make it let go. Until then I would have told you only epoxy and some VHB adhesives would stick to PVC.

Great prop, I also appreciate the simplicity of construction and it looks like a lot of wow for not a ton of money.
i think the pvc parts ran about 20-25, the pumpkin is 20. I bought a cheap full size 4 piece sheet set at big lots lots for 12. Twine was 5 or so. So there’s a little bit of investment. I had the fence stake around for Xmas mega tree use. This is the smaller black pvc which is stiffer and just barely fits around the stake. 2 inch I think. I just cut it to my desired height…

I ended up using both the fitted and flat sheet. I found the flat sheet wasn’t long enough after attaching it at the arms so I removed the elastic from the fitted sheet, cut a whole in it off center and draped it over the neck /shoulder under the Flat sheet as sort of an inner cape to give me more vertical size…the layering effect was a nice bonus to the look. I cut some strips off a pillow case for his hands. I used twine to add detail and help loosely stitch the sleeves and font panel together so it holds shape better in the wind.
I’ll get some detail pics up today in case anybody wants some more info on things I did.

Interesting idea on the magnets. My goal was to be able to easily change batteries while have a secure mount of that head.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe zip ties through the holes? years ago, I saw someone use toggle bolts to attach a skull to a pvc cap but I cant find the info on that now
Ya zip ties would be easier to cinch down for a more snug fit…might be able to use 2 and go all the way across in a parallel way. The I’d just need to cut one to expose the battery door for a change.

heck…maybe just one on the rear side would do it…might need to try that in the morning.

·
Registered
14,450 Posts
Those little slots you ran the twine through I’ve typically seen either run through with very narrow zip ties or more commonly for securing to the packaging with plastic coated wires that get cinched to the prop and wire ends twisted a bunch of times. That second method seems very popular and works well as the props don’t move in their packaging. I can attest to that having taken many of those off halloween packaged props 😁. I generally save the wires too after removing.

Maybe two vertical holes on the neck pipe to run connecting wire in through for each connecting point instead of just the one would also help stabilize the neck pipe to the pumpkin base. Picked up my pumpkin today but haven’t looked at my pumpkin yet.

Found your side photo of the scarecrow illustrating the lean very informative. Had wondered how his head was postioned on the straight neck pipe to have him appear looking downward instead of straight ahead.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I made mine out of pvc also but had a terrible time getting it deep enough into the yard without smashing the top down. I ended up getting a think piece of found steel---got that so far into the yard that I had to get professional help to get it out! With both I still end up with a massive lean (mine holds a skeleton torso) and in the wind spins the wrong direction. So curious how you are keeping this stable. You mentioned a stake....what kind of stake is at the bottom?

LOVE this by the way, especially with the lights on it - amazing work!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
This type of stake…black pvc fits snuggly over the top. Once the wings are in the ground it’s pretty solid even in the wind. In the wind the scare crow will pivot a bit on the main pipe as the sheets catch the wind…and the arm branches turn a bit in the Pvc that holds them…I think it helps that everything isn’t like a fixed sail…it goes with flow a bit. If there was going to be some strong winds, I could slip the whole prop up off the stake to move it into the garage or whatever.

Fence post

Font Parallel Rectangle Titanium Fashion accessory

1 - 20 of 34 Posts